1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
I think they come with a 'pinch of salt' gratis.;)

·
Registered
438 Posts
You know what they say — if it looks too good to be true... The chart in the image is NOT for a Burgman.

The EFI in the Burgman's ECU can probably be remapped, with the right codes and expertise. Otherwise, the best way to go about a Stage III mod is to use a Power Commander or something similar. You can then put it on a dyno and have it tuned and the EFI remapped. For it to have any effect, airflow through the cylinder has to be increased by enlarging the intake and reducing the constriction of the exhaust. There are aftermarket (racing) exhausts for the Burgman, but I don't know how one would go about enlarging the air intake. In any case, the net result on each of my cruisers was an increase of about 12% in horsepower. That's a realistic expectation.

Frankly I wouldn't bother with the Burgman. We routinely put 50 lbs of stuff on the back and head out on the highway. The Burgmans have lots of power when its needed and will hit 90 mph in the time it takes to pass. That's enough for us. If I wanted more, I'd be riding an FJR or ST1300. YMMV.

Ride safe
Scott Fraser
Calgary

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Turbo charging is the way to go:

Small Engine Turbo (similar to RHB31 VZ21) @ $299 USD
http://www.ecotrons.com/products/small_engine_rhb31_vz21_turbocharger/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_Cappuccino

It was originally equipped with the F6A engine: later models were fitted with a K6A engine which was lighter and had chain-driven, rather than belt-driven camshafts and more torque. Both are DOHC 12-valve, inline 3-cylinder engines that were turbocharged and intercooled. Power output was a claimed 63 hp (47 kW; 64 PS) at 6500 rpm to fit under the maximum power allowed for Kei cars.
Ford is selling 1-litre Mondeos with turbo in Europe:

Ford’s 1.0-litre EcoBoost, the 2012 “International Engine of the Year,” is the most power-dense production engine the company has ever produced. With an engine block small enough to sit on a piece of A4 paper, it produces 125HP and 170Nm (125 lb ft) of torque (and up to 200Nm (148 lb ft) in “overboost” mode), delivered from just 1450rpm.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I can believe that a new ECU could give more power it isn't going to make 25 more. I could believe 5 more hp but I would doubt much more than that. Plus at what cost does this extra power come? I know guys who put big bore kits on 50cc scoots to gain a few extra hp but loose a lot of mpg, they also spend big bucks to do it.

·
Registered
486 Posts
That's about half-again the engine power.

I'd want to see documentation and independent testing.

Since it's probably not there...I'd leave it alone.

The Burgman engine is quiet and smooth and apparently long-living...why mess it up? There's no such thing as a free lunch. Probably what you'd get is MAYBE a few extra hp at the top end; with drivability compromises. And maybe engine failure from added heat.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Ebay ad says this item is located in Slovenia, Canada.

Am I just a dumb canuck, but where would that actually be?

Blakers

·
Super Moderator
18,085 Posts
If it were true, I would be concerned about blowing up the drive components down the line that weren't designed for the additional power.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
If it were true, I would be concerned about blowing up the drive components down the line that weren't designed for the additional power.
If it worked, I think the CVT problems would pop up quickly. When you ask something to do more than it was designed for, you're asking for trouble.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If it worked, I think the CVT problems would pop up quickly. When you ask something to do more than it was designed for, you're asking for trouble.

THAT is exactly what I am thinking. If the CVT last for 75,000 miles with normal driving, how is it going to hold up with the power increased by 50% over stock?

I would bet the engine would handle it but if the drivetrain will not then what would be the point?

·
Registered
162 Posts
more power and better fuel economy? Not a pinch of salt, but a 20 kilo bag of it!

I doubt they even ship, this is full rip off and run IMO.

The Ebay equivalent of a smash and grab :)

·
Registered
230 Posts
One of the car show i saw did a thing on a performance chip for a wrx which cost $25 and boasted huge gains when the fitted it and did a dyno run they lost power.You get what you pay for
As for the ecu on the 650 it has some play to be tuned though very small did a dyno when the yoshie exhaust was fitted and my local suzuki dealer had a thing called a yoshie box which he plugged in to the ecu and it gave me little gains in mid range and top.It was only noticeable when i compared it to my other 650 (same year ) the standered bike had more off the mark buy about 5-6 bike lengths then the yoshi equipped would catch it and stay a head buy 5-6 bike length to 170kph

·
Registered
630 Posts
There might be some truth to the hp boost claim via new ECU chip. I recall reading something about Euro-spec Golfs having restricted ECU modules which could be genuinely unlocked via re-chipping. It was very specific though and involved a few other engine mods, sort of a poor man's TDI conversion. Maybe a 15% overall gain with smoother power delivery.

·
Registered
10 Posts
True the small block Ford Fiesta/Mondeo produces amazing power as does the Focus ST, however these are total engineered drive trains, posting that info next to a picture of that ridiculous Chinese fake turbocharger is irresponsible.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Even assuming it was real, would you really want a turbocharger on a motorcycle?

Turbo lag would be an engraved invitation to a late-corner low-side wreck.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Even assuming it was real, would you really want a turbocharger on a motorcycle?

Turbo lag would be an engraved invitation to a late-corner low-side wreck.

Oh, I would love to have it done to my PC800! Not too long after buying the bike I even called Mr. Turbo in Houston to do it for me. I was going to ride the bike there from my home near Nashville and have it done and then ride it back. It was just that it was going to cost around $1000 and that was an awful lot of coin 18 years ago. Money was pretty tight for me back then compared to now.

I had ridden both the Kawasaki 750 turbo as well as the Suzuki 650 turbo and they were both docile and well mannered as any bike out there. Until you hammered the throttle anyway. But seriously- who's going to do that in a corner? Not me that's for sure.

What killed turbocharged bikes 30 years ago was more or less the price and complexity of them. For what a turbo 650 cost back then you could buy a non-turbo 1000 or 1100 and that's what most folks did. Including me.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Turbo charging was complected in the 80's ,take the cx500 (which i have owned 2 ) it was the most complicated bike when it came out Shore it went like stink when it hit 6 grand but most 1000cc of the same era were just as quick.Now days turboing a bike is a lot easier. But most of the turbos are fitted to older bikes like the katanas and big kawasakis of the 70's and 80's due to there strong bottom ends to handle the power increase.
I for one think if you want more power from your bike for the sake of going fast then buy a faster bike like a zx12 or busa they are cheep and go quicker than a turbo old school bike and are less likely to have trouble.We are spoiled for choice when it comes to bikes now ,with all the different categories. Maby that's the problem TO MUCH CHOICE

1 - 20 of 35 Posts