Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just turn 25,000K today my Burgman 650 is getting better with time. I have a question for the members you know, If I wait for my valve adjustements is there any danger of hurting the bike. Power is great, engine make no noises, fuel economy is great, Inpouts anyone. SALUT. Jaype.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Chances are that your valves do not need adjustment. None of the folks who had them checked at 14,500 miles reported needing any adjustment. However, I'm glad that I did have mine checked because I now know that they were still in spec.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Valve adjustment

Even if the valves were within tolerance at the 15,000 mile check (okay, 14,500) they should still be checked again. Comparing the clearances should tell you if there is any tightening/loosening trend. If they are noisy, you have more than enough clearance and will not get the sort of damage that results from too little or no clearance at all, though they still need to be returned to tolerance. The latter situation, ie., insufficient clearance will produce burned exhaust valves and a flat wallet.
Having said all that, my experience with quite a few Suzuki motorcycle engines over the years has beent that they usually have very hard valve seats and get very little, if any, valve recession. Recession usually reduces clearance. The bucket-over-shim system also wears very little, keeping the system from developing greater clearances. In practice, with good lubrication and normal operation, the very mild valve recession pretty much offsets the bucket/cam lobe wear and clearances remain within tolerance for long periods. Some bucket-over-shim systems have check/adjust intervals in the 30,000 mile range because of this (1800 Goldwings, most Yamahas, for example).
As this engine is tightly packaged, operates in a very conservative range and has relatively low specific output, it really is a perfect candidate for hydraulic lash adjusters (no need for adjustment) ala Suzuki Intruder/C90s, pre-1800 Goldwings, most H-D's, Kawasaki 1200 Voyagers and larger Vulcans, some Yamaha twins, Honda Shadows, Honda PC800s, and some older Honda Nighthawks, to name a few. The only downside is that a significant portion of the exchange on this forum would have to be devoted to something else and many of us could switch to other worries to keep us up nights.
I firmly believe that if Kawasaki had used the hydraulic valve 1200 engine from the Voyager in its Concours, you would probably have to wait in line for one.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
How long do you want to put it off? If you have only a little time left in your riding season and don't expect to put on many kms , then I would say ok and postpone it. All reports so far suggest that the valves are rock solid and since you have no noise or performance complaints then I suspect your valve tolerances are ok as well. Might as well wait untill riding season is over and your mechanic has more free time as well. No sense wasting some good riding time .

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
allwalk said:
How long do you want to put it off? If you have only a little time left in your riding season and don't expect to put on many kms , then I would say ok and postpone it. All reports so far suggest that the valves are rock solid and since you have no noise or performance complaints then I suspect your valve tolerances are ok as well. Might as well wait untill riding season is over and your mechanic has more free time as well. No sense wasting some good riding time .
I actually made this suggestion to the service manager at my dealership. He disagreed, and said that we should do the valve inspection as scheduled. They did get the scooter back to me within 2 days - they tied up their scooter mechanic for 8 hours working on it. Note that I have a pre-purchased maintenance agreement that covers all scheduled maintenance for 3 years, so it wasn't a matter of generating additional revenue. While they had the scoot torn down for the valve inspection, they decided to go ahead and replace the radiator coolant, which would have been due in several months (2 year mark).

This procedure wasn't going to cost me anything out of pocket either way. When the next valve inspection interval comes due, I will probably be beyond the maintenance agreement (if I still own this scooter). That will most definitely have bearing on my decision at that time. If the scooter is running good, and if I intend to trade or sell it within a year, I probably will not have it done again.

·
Registered
316 Posts
jaype, my god, you put lots of KM's on that bike.
How many did you have on it 3 months ago?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
25,000K...

Hi Darcy Just for commuting I do 800K a week. I am using my Rocket 3 Triumph on the week end. I figure I will bag 30.000K on my bikes this year.SALUT.Jaype

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Just for clarification, I'm pretty sure you mean 25,000 km, rather than 25,000,000 (k) :shock:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Thanks for the report!
I enjoy hearing the good outcome with the burgies. I can't afford to just haul off and pay for huge repairs or buy another bike, so I am always pleased to read these positive posts for their endurance. I have only put around 1200 miles on my 400 so far but she's holding up great.
Enjoy
-Moo

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
25,000K...

For myself the Burgman his one of the most trouble free machine, I have ever driven. One good thing for you guys with not alot of Kms , be happy because the Burgman is getting better with age. SALUT.Jaype.

·
Registered
31,101 Posts
My 650 rolled over the 52,000 km mark on the weekend. I'm still averaging over 800 km per week, all year round. Summer time I manage to do over 1000 km each and every week. Last week went over 1400 km. Still getting an overall average of over 65 mpg (Imperial). Best thing I ever did, trading my ST1100 for the Burger.

·
Registered
80 Posts
25,000 km or 25,000 miles. It just getting broken in good. 8)

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Triumph Rocket III - ??!!
o - my - god.
This prsn owns a two-wheel frieght train! :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts