Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
That was cool - saw it end to end even tho I'm out riding - I took a coffee break at the correct time :D

·
Premium Member
8,138 Posts
red bull may have sponsored that , but Bacardi 151 will make you DO that !

·
Premium Member
4,015 Posts
AMAZING! Hard to believe a guy could do that feat and survive.

Back in the 60s I worked on a project with one of the balloons and we would never have guessed someone could jump out of one and lived and hit the ground standing up. Amazing what 50 years of work can do.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I missed seeing it live, but have watched it about a dozen times since. Now what happens to the balloon and capsule? I can't believe they are far enough up that they will burn upon re-entry (he would have). Was it coordinated that they would land in the ocean? Inquiring minds want to know. :?:

·
Super Moderator
8,067 Posts
RobS said:
Now what happens to the balloon and capsule?
The capsual was jettisoned from the balloon, and parachuted to the ground for retreavial of the science on board.

The balloon, I don't know.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Chet_Benson said:
AMAZING! Hard to believe a guy could do that feat and survive.

Back in the 60s I worked on a project with one of the balloons and we would never have guessed someone could jump out of one and lived and hit the ground standing up. Amazing what 50 years of work can do.
USAF Col. (then Capt.) Kittenger set the previous record for highest parachute jump at 102,800 ft. in 1960, and was working mission control for this jump. What we did back then was pretty amazing too.

·
Premium Member
8,138 Posts
the balloon will land in north korea, it has written around the bottom, for prevention of sexually transmitted diseases, made in america, size small

·
Registered
135 Posts
Jim, Mike--
While I like both answers I think I will trust Mike's the most. :lol:

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
InfernoST said:
Way cool video, but how do you slow down from that speed without losing any of your limbs?
The parachute was designed to inflate gradually; initially, it didn't provide much drag, but deployed to its full area as airspeed dropped. This distributed the deceleration over a long enough distance to keep the G-forces manageable.

I've oversimplified the aerodynamics a little, but that's the general idea.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Rusty J said:
InfernoST said:
Way cool video, but how do you slow down from that speed without losing any of your limbs?
The parachute was designed to inflate gradually; initially, it didn't provide much drag, but deployed to its full area as airspeed dropped. This distributed the deceleration over a long enough distance to keep the G-forces manageable.

I've oversimplified the aerodynamics a little, but that's the general idea.
That is some scary stuff, thank god it worked as designed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts