Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recall from several threads that the 400's power improves after, I believe, the 2500 mile mark. I'm just curious how noticable the increase is in the experiences of other riders. Is it pretty gradual? When did you really notice it, if at all?

I'm still lusting to upgrade the variator to get a little more juice at 0-60mph, but decided to hold off for a minute. I got as far as Bettella sending me a pro forma invoice (no U.S. distributor :cry:), but they don't take credit card payments and I would probably have to pay extra to have my bank wire the funds. I may just have to go with the Malossi . . .

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

·
Super Moderator
8,076 Posts
When I had mine, I noticed:

1st increase 600 mile service
2nd 2,000 mile Gradually
3rd 3,000 mile Gradually
I traded @ 3,000 miles (95 % 2-up, on the highway) Thought about not trading for the 650, the power was still getting stronger.

You can feel it keep loosening up. I can't say for sure, but I would think @ 4,000-4,500 miles, Synthetics would keep it there.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Ron B, Bleeder suggested I call Beverly Hills Ducati/Vespa @ (310) 360-0916. I called them yesterday and ordered a set of Malossi 16g rollers for my 400. They were very helpful. They talked like ordering Malossi products was routine for them. If you decide to use a Malossi you may want to talk them.

I will report on if they meet their stated delivery date.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jim - Yeah, I didn't expect the power to pop up at 2501 . . . sounds like a pretty gradual process. I've had some fleeting thoughts of trading up. Although, I've put some $ into mods for the 400 (Corbin seat; Givi V46) and honestly, would want to keep her too as the first one of the 05' production line per the dealer and the VID . . . . 0001. I'm pretty sure the wife wouldn't go for that any time soon . . . If she was a decent bicycle rider I'd try to get her on the 400, but let's just say she didn't ride alot as a kid (=poor balance) and I'm definitely not comfortable putting her on anything 2 wheeled and motorized.

Roy - How much were they charging for that kit? Bettella wanted approx. USD 238 equivalent for theirs.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Kevin, my hope is it will increase the rpms about 500 to 1,000 during acceleration. The increase will put the motor into the rpm range were the engine performs the best. It should also remove the slight power lag that occurs in the 25-50 mph range. It really is not needed for everyday riding.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
roy_ryall said:
Kevin, my hope is it will increase the rpms about 500 to 1,000 during acceleration. The increase will put the motor into the rpm range were the engine performs the best. It should also remove the slight power lag that occurs in the 25-50 mph range. It really is not needed for everyday riding.
Agreed but it can also make a big difference to comparitive performance in this speed range if you are a heavyweight or carrying a passenger.

·
Registered
553 Posts
IronRanger said:
Roy -

What is the change of rollers suppose to do for your 400? Wife has her heart set on a 400, but we can't find one to test drive. Just curious to see if it is something she will want to do to it, or if it is a tweek it better mod.

Kevin
I personally don't think you will want to do anything to it. I bet I'm a lot heavier than your wife an I think the 400 is perfect just the way it is. I'll bet both of you will think so to. :wink: My wife rides with me a lot and I still think it has enough pep just the way it is. We ride with the Southern Cruiser motorcycle group and ain't had no trouble keepin up so far. :wink:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts