Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I ordered these after watching Mitch's videos and reading alot on the forum. I decided 21g was where I wanted to start, and now I know its the perfect size for me :D

Now since I bought this bike used I wasn't sure if the belt was changed at 14,500 so I was using this as a chance to inspect it to, I knew someone had been in there though immediately when I saw all the bolts numbered lol....
A great idea by the way!

Everything looked pretty clean as I expected and this bike seems well cared for in all regards as the guy promised me it was.

Now I pulled the clutch bell off and the shoes where in great shape, and then the variator came off to install the sliders. The weights where in good shape with no flat spots I must say. At this point I had ordered a new belt being unsure of this ones condition, but it was just slightly less than 26mm which as I understand it is still well within acceptable limits as 22mm is what I read as the minimum.

The new belt I had on hand was 28.4mm, so being my belt now was good I put it back on and will save the new one till I need it later on down the road.
So this is where it all went terrible wrong lol.... I got it all back together and took off down the road and realized the speedo was now dead, I come back home and pull things apart again and immediately see this :evil1:

Oh yeah I smashed the **** outta that wire - I once freed from the case I taped up the frayed sections of the wire and all was good :rolleyes:

Now onto the ride - holy cow what a difference, like most said why didn't Suzuki use these from the factory :confused: First thing I noticed was the takeoff, no more clutch slipping and revving to 5500 or more to get moving, nope its about 4500 and the clutch is engaged and your off. That's just the start though - once moving depending on how much throttle I am giving it launches you to 6000 or more and your off like a rocket. Hit 50 or 60 and back off some and the RPM's drop to 4300 and its smooth and quiet. Onto the freeway I went, again fast launch down the ramp and I hit 75 indicated at 7500rpms and roll off to cruise and the tach drops to 5600 which normally it would have been right at 7000. Bike is working so much less with these, they are freaking awesome! Light throttle to maintain 75 indicated on flat freeway was down to 5400rpms, rode about 20 miles and I had reset my MPG's at the driveway and by the time I got home I had an average 67, from my normal 58 I was getting. It was still at 66.7 when I got to work.

Now let me tell you in traffic these make all the difference. Under light throttle in slow traffic they somehow get the clutch fully engaged at under 4000rpms and its smooth at lower rpms to. You don't have to rev up to 5500rpms just to move 200 feet and stop. Just when I am thinking it cant get better it does, when slowing down at about 18mph my clutch was disengaging and I was free rolling, but these sliders keep the revs up to about 3k until about 12mph and then it lets go. Providing way more engine braking. I've just got nothing bad to say so far. I am going to make an RPMs / Speedo video this afternoon hopefully in some different circumstances but I love love love these things!

·
Registered
748 Posts
My stock ones are all full of flat spots, so I was thinking about buying these sliders to replace my worn OEM sliders.
I ride 2-up, with a combined weight of 310-320 lbs, and suggestions on what weight?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Since I am a fat boy at 250, my daughter is another 100 and it had no trouble when I took her to school this morning, performance was about the same with her as without.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just ordered a set of sliders for my Automoto 150cc enclosed scooter to, can't wait to see how they help it out. Right now 55mph is about all I can get from it.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Just registered newbie here. I've had my 2008 400 since last Friday. My clutch starts engaging right around 3000 RPM's. I have a lot of "chatter" and some vibration until I get around 30 MPH.
Is this normal? I was going to check out all the drive stuff this weekend but couldn't get the cover off. I have 9,500 miles on it.
What is weight of the rollers from factory?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've had my all of 3 weeks :)

Mine had a little vibration at lower RPM's and smooths out at 4000, but I think that's pretty normal for a single cylinder engine honestly.

Now my clutch is not noisy though so I don't know on that one, but its pretty easy to pull that cover off and have a look at things. Be careful with that speed sensor wire whe you put it back together, ask me how I know LOL :)

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I was going to check out all the drive stuff this weekend but couldn't get the cover off.
Common problem. A bearing on the end of the clutch shaft that is supposed to pull off with the cover often is frozen to the shaft. As a result, when pulling off the cover you will end up bending the two little tabs that are bolted to it and supposed to be what keeps the bearing with the cover. To get the cover off, use two 8x1.25/50 mm bolts threaded into the holes in the cover located just above and below the center-line of the shaft. (Here's where I depart from one of Mitch's very informative and priceless videos) Run them down until they make contact (on the clutch bell) and tighten them sequentially a little at a time. This will pull the cover off although, you may need to tap or pry slightly toward the front of the cover. Once the cover is off, remove the now bent tabs and try to straighten them out. You can use them again if they don't crack. Use a puller to get the bearing off the shaft. You may likely need to replace the bearing. Sand paper or emery paper the shaft to smooth it, and lube it lightly when reassembling. I don't mean to hijack the thread. If you need to discuss this further, please start another or PM me. Now, back to our regularly scheduled feature...:)

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I think the stock rollers are 19g. Seems to me the 8 rollers weighed the same as my new 19g DP sliders. But it's apples to oranges, they work differently once on the bike. If I did it again, I would have opted for heavier DP sliders. But no real complaints :)

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think the stock rollers are 19g. Seems to me the 8 rollers weighed the same as my new 19g DP sliders. But it's apples to oranges, they work differently once on the bike. If I did it again, I would have opted for heavier DP sliders. But no real complaints :)
Yeah I was worried at first the 21g sliders would be to much, but they are awesome!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi guys!

Another new Burgman owner...I love the thing so far. I'm wondering how these sliders work for someone who does more in-town riding. I suppose I want it all...better performance and same or better gas mileage. From what I've read these sliders give you better performance, but most people talk about the fuel benefits at higher/cruising speeds. How is the performance for in town riding and how is the gas mileage on in-town riding?

Thanks!
Dan

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi guys!

Another new Burgman owner...I love the thing so far. I'm wondering how these sliders work for someone who does more in-town riding. I suppose I want it all...better performance and same or better gas mileage. From what I've read these sliders give you better performance, but most people talk about the fuel benefits at higher/cruising speeds. How is the performance for in town riding and how is the gas mileage on in-town riding?

Thanks!
Dan
They improved everything for me, acceleration and smoothness around town and better freeway MPG and RPM's.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I do hate to hear that! I was planning on upgrading from stock to either 18g or 19g sliders over the winter. This is very disconcerting indeed!

Does anyone have a good source for there currently???

·
Registered
4 Posts
They improved everything for me, acceleration and smoothness around town and better freeway MPG and RPM's.

Thanks for sharing your experience, appreciate it. I'm hesitant to make the changes and then see my MPG, in town, go way down...even if I boosted performance a little.

Thanks
Dan

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for sharing your experience, appreciate it. I'm hesitant to make the changes and then see my MPG, in town, go way down...even if I boosted performance a little.

Thanks
Dan
I am getting about 65 now in town as opposed to 59 I was doing with the stock rollers.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What???? They aren't gonna make them anymore?

I hope these last a long long time because they are awesome. I am getting 72mpg and still good performance so I just love the 21g size.

·
Registered
10 Posts
So you get better gas mileage, acceleration and lower rpm's at highway speeds, this sounds like a win/win situation. Does your top end speed drop?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So you get better gas mileage, acceleration and lower rpm's at highway speeds, this sounds like a win/win situation. Does your top end speed drop?
Gerry so all you state above is true, the only downside I've discovered so far which has me a little unhappy with the 21g is the lack of passing power on the freeway. No matter how much throttle I give it I simply get no increase in RPMS's or downshift if you would to give that power. I am wonder if the 18g would give that without giving up the 5500rpm cruising I am doing? Gonna do some more reading before I buy anymore.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts