Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mobile to Key West and back. Rode with 2 wings and 2 Harleys.
Harley 1 broke down in Ft Lauderdale. Burgy faster than standard Road King!
Wing riders astonished the burgy 650 could run with them. But they are much faster when necessary.
Cruised around 80 when possible, occasional blasts to 3 figures.
No problems at all.

·
Registered
689 Posts
How that is what I call a long distance ride. I am hope next year to go on a long distance ride myself somewhere if I can get other to go along, I believe it would be pretty boring alone.

·
Registered
719 Posts
tripletango said:
Mobile to Key West and back.
With 2100 miles of trip under your tires, I was hoping for more detail...the rest of the story.

How many days did it take, longest day on the road, weather, the best meal, strangest wildlife encounter, most pensive moment, historical sites, bad hangover, what type of clothing, stupidest encounter with a car, gas mileage, funnist billboard, etc.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We towed the bikes in a Honda dealers 30 foot trailer to Mobile from DFW.
Took about 11 hours.
Unloaded bikes on Friday and returned following Friday.
Longest day I think was last day where we rode from Daytona to Mobile that was 500 miles give or take.
In Key West a certifable French guy put on a show with his trained cats. What a nutter, the cats were far brighter.
Weather was good.
We slept in Port St Joe while a front passed with rain. We followed it into Florida.
On way back front came through looked better south so we left Daytona and headed west. Had rain gear on for an hour or so, not much rain.
When it was cold I used Gerbing jacket and gloves to stay warm electrically.
Harley's electrical system gave trouble. Evidentially when it has a security system installed it is very sensitive to any change in load. friend installed brake lights with correct resistor but may be that caused problem. Strange it happened after 1500 miles.
Rode the wings for a while. Big and fast nice but not too sure they are my style, they are very heavy. Would rather have a BMW 1200rt or Triumph Sprint RT. The new ones!)
Other than that I screwed up by shutting off red switch without realising it ans spent an hour hunting for oil that I thought caused the problem. What a turkey - anyway figured it out in the end. Luckily I turned it off 50 yards from the hotel in Key West!
Nice weather, long ride but very enjoyable! The burgy ran very well with no problems and kept up well with the rest of the bikes.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Great story, thanks! All in all, it sounds like the Burgman was better than the Harley's and almost as good as the Wings for the trip. I like the new Sprint ST as well, sort of stealth fighter-ish, and a bigger tripple than last year.

I know where you coming from about how the red switch can cause starting mysteries.

I always use it to kill the bike... and then I turn the key to off.

One day a buddy of mine wanted to switch bikes with me (when I had a ZX-6R) and have me ride his RC51. Fine, I get on it, hit the red switch, turn the key, press the starter and nothing, turn the key off and on, try to start again, nothing and more nothing.

Turns out that my buddy does not use the red switch to kill his bike, so when I hit it before starting...anyway, I never made the mistake again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts