1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Randy said:
I know it's crazy,
but I still would like "bragging rights" on that ticket :compress:
Even at the cost of an arrest on your record? (he was arrested for it)

·
Registered
209 Posts
I'm with Randy!!! Hehehehe

Although many eons ago when I didn't have children or any responsibilities...

His insurance company is going to go nuts when they find out!! :lol:

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I"ve already seen a lot of debate on this. Most people seem to believe it's not possible. Since it was done by stopwatch & eyeball even a small error would drop that speed quite a bit.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
However he was charged with:

'reckless driving, driving without a motorcycle license.'

Next quote:

Kathy Swanson of the state Office of Traffic Safety said unless Tilley was wearing the kind of protective gear professional motorcycle racers wear, he was courting death at 200 mph.

"I'm not entirely sure what would happen if you crashed at 200 miles per hour," Swanson said. "But it wouldn't be pretty, that's for sure."

Clearly the village idiot was on a lunchbreak when the need for a spokesperson became clear - unfortunately Kathy (who is probably the office cleaner) started blabbering in an uncontrollable manner on a subject only her rubber glove knew more about- WTF is she on about trying to equate the protection racing leathers MAY give on a certified and controlled race track in the event of an accident to speculating to their efficacy in an 'offy' on the public highway - what a freaking DORK!

I nominate Kathy 'Dork Swanson' for the Office Cleaner and Foot in Mouth Award 2004.

PS: I have been drinking tonight forgive me! (hic) :eek:ccasion5: it always brings out the more acerbic side of me :wink:

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
The 2004 Suzuki Hayabusa topped out at 189 mph in the last test report I saw. A test of the 2004 Kawasaki ZX-10 gave top speed at 186 mph. The "wall" for production superbikes seems to be 190 mph, there are currently no production models that can go faster than that. So, 205 mph is a quite hard to believe. Either that Honda was very seriously modified, or the trooper blew it with the stop watch.

But in any event, the rider was without a doubt going recklessly fast - and was not licensed.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Mike,

Nice find. It would appear that the airborne cop was considerably off - on the high side, as I suspected. Now that's something to think about. That dude would probably be capable of ticketing a Burgman 650 for going 150 mph!

·
Registered
520 Posts
pauljo said:
Mike,

Nice find. It would appear that the airborne cop was considerably off - on the high side, as I suspected. Now that's something to think about. That dude would probably be capable of ticketing a Burgman 650 for going 150 mph!

Yep.

Having crashed my Z-1 at Ontario Raceway at 156 MPH I follow high speed stuff a LOT. Was considering building my Burgman as a project. Now thinking of selling it as the suspension ( or LACK of one!) is becomming impossible for me. Had major surgery a few months ago and the beating of this thing is taking me out. A couple pictures at:
http://members.cox.net/pappys/

Thought maybe the shocks you have may smooth it out some but think the entire design is probably not gonna work out. So much for my "race" scooter.....Mike

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Mike,

Try a set of the Pirelli radial tires before you bail out. They make a huge difference in the ride. The shocks also helped, but it is a lot cheaper to try a set of the tires. I'm reasonably satisfied with the ride now. A 15" front wheel is never going to roll over bumps like a 19" wheel - that's just physics. But my 650 is riding much better than I'd have thought possible, and with no deterioration in handling.

Also, have you had any further word from Corbin regarding that lower seat? I'm very interested in that.

·
Registered
520 Posts
pauljo said:
Mike,

Try a set of the Pirelli radial tires before you bail out. They make a huge difference in the ride. The shocks also helped, but it is a lot cheaper to try a set of the tires. I'm reasonably satisfied with the ride now. A 15" front wheel is never going to roll over bumps like a 19" wheel - that's just physics. But my 650 is riding much better than I'd have thought possible, and with no deterioration in handling.

Also, have you had any further word from Corbin regarding that lower seat? I'm very interested in that.

Thanks Paul,

Corbin promised me AGAIN today that it will "probably" ship the end of NEXT week. I'll wait as long as it takes. May sell the scooter first but who knows. Feels like being shot in the stomach on just routine roads these days. Will hold on as long as able.....

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Pappy said:
[snip]Yep.

Having crashed my Z-1 at Ontario Raceway at 156 MPH I follow high speed stuff a LOT. Was considering building my Burgman as a project. Now thinking of selling it as the suspension ( or LACK of one!) is becomming impossible for me. Had major surgery a few months ago and the beating of this thing is taking me out. A couple pictures at:
http://members.cox.net/pappys/

Thought maybe the shocks you have may smooth it out some but think the entire design is probably not gonna work out. So much for my "race" scooter.....Mike
Mike thanks for the links. Just wanted to wish you all the best, don't sell the bike - major surgery is going to take a bit of time to recover from - take it easy and be gentle on those systems that are trying to get back to normal.
PS: If you develop a racing Burger - who is going to race you?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Just playing Devil's Advocate, but one of those threads suggests that the Police Air Unit was a single crew operation - difficult to know how the Pilot could be 100% accurate with his finger on the stopwatch checking a vehicle allegedly travelling at 300 feet per second over two fixed points 1320 feet apart, while handling an aircraft considerably slower than the motorcycle!
However, if he was a whole second out - say half a second wrong at each fixed point - the motorcyclist's speed would still have been 167mph, so the biker was still shifting somewhat...
Be interesting when that one comes up at court, I'll bet there are lawyers lining up to fight that one, just for the publicity :D

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
mupp said:
Just playing Devil's Advocate, but one of those threads suggests that the Police Air Unit was a single crew operation - difficult to know how the Pilot could be 100% accurate with his finger on the stopwatch checking a vehicle allegedly travelling at 300 feet per second over two fixed points 1320 feet apart, while handling an aircraft considerably slower than the motorcycle!
Obviously not 100% accurate (what is?), but generally pretty close.

Handling the aircraft isn't a problem; there's this little invention called an autopilot. Maybe you've heard of it. :roll:

·
Registered
119 Posts
Brian said:
Handling the aircraft isn't a problem; there's this little invention called an autopilot. Maybe you've heard of it. :roll:
Duh, like Otto the Inflatable Autopilot in Airplane! ?

So the pilot is on "Autopilot" during a tactical pursuit??? :shock: Hmmmm, yes, thankyou Brian, but full autopilot on a Cessna 182? They may have a rudimentary Wing Leveler or two axis plus altitude hold, but nothing sophisticated enough to enable the pilot to sustain and monitor the pursuit of a motorcycle travelling at an alleged 205mph without some sort of manual flight control input.... I'm just trying to imagine your scenario where the Police Officer picks his subject vehicle, brings the aircraft up to VNE (with all the associated vibration at that speed) then activates auto stabilisation, then operates the stopwatch, while maintaining a view of the subject as it crosses to fixed marks on the road less than 5 seconds apart, and as the aircraft cannot maintain the same speed as the subject than the parallax view as it passes the two fixed points will be different.... As I said before I was only playing Devils Advocate, and I don't doubt the biker was exceeding the speed limit. But I'd have a hard job proving that in Court with a good defence lawyer!

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
mupp said:
Brian said:
Duh, like Otto the Inflatable Autopilot in Airplane! ?

So the pilot is on "Autopilot" during a tactical pursuit??? :shock: Hmmmm, yes, thankyou Brian, but full autopilot on a Cessna 182? They may have a rudimentary Wing Leveler or two axis plus altitude hold, but nothing sophisticated enough to enable the pilot to sustain and monitor the pursuit of a motorcycle travelling at an alleged 205mph without some sort of manual flight control input.... I'm just trying to imagine your scenario where the Police Officer picks his subject vehicle, brings the aircraft up to VNE (with all the associated vibration at that speed) then activates auto stabilisation, then operates the stopwatch, while maintaining a view of the subject as it crosses to fixed marks on the road less than 5 seconds apart, and as the aircraft cannot maintain the same speed as the subject than the parallax view as it passes the two fixed points will be different.... As I said before I was only playing Devils Advocate, and I don't doubt the biker was exceeding the speed limit. But I'd have a hard job proving that in Court with a good defence lawyer!
Well, your scenario would indeed require some pretty sophisticated hardware, but it's not done that way.

For one thing, there was no " tactical pursuit" involved. Nor was there a need for the Cessna to travel at or near VNE.

Here's how it's done:

A spot is chosen on the highway for aircraft speed surveilence.
Two marks are painted on the ground a measured distance apart.
The aircraft cruises above this spot during a portion of the officer's shift.
When a suspected speeder is spoted the officer waits for the vehicle to cross the first point, and starts a stopwatch.
When the vehicle reaches the second spot the stopwatch is stopped.
The elapsed time is recorded on a worksheet, and the equivelent speed is taken from a table and entered on the sheet.
If the speed is in violation a discription of the vehicle is radioed to a ground unit.

Some departments use a slightly more advanced system where instead of a stopwatch and printed table, a Visual Average Speed Computer and Recorder (VASCAR) unit is used.

Because the marks are painted on the ground, and the vehicle's tires are on the ground, paralax is not an issue. Nor is the speed of the aircraft; you could do it from a helicopter, a stationary balloon, or even from the ground if you wanted to.

Because these methods require human hands to start and stop the timing they are subject to human error, and so the exact speed indicated is not used in most jurisdictions for determining penalties. Rather it is one tool among many that is used. Usually a ground unit using RaDAR or LASER devices, or pacing in an unmarked car, is used for the final determination.

Clearly, in this case, the actual speed given -- 205MPH -- is inaccurate. The faster a vehicle is traveling the shorter the officer's reaction time, so errors are probable. But there is no doubt, and the subject has admitted, that he was travelling well in excess of 130MPH, double the posted speed limit.

Anything else I can clarify for you?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.