Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The AK550 Premium. Won by default. No other mega scooters being released here by other manufacturers.

A SUPER TOURING MAXI SCOOTER THAT DEFINES “THE THRILLS OF TOURING”
Premium Sporty Design • Smooth Power Output • Dual Power Mode • Keyless Ignition Control • Low Body Vibration • Low Seat Height • High Power To Weight Ratio • Intoxicating Exhaust Sound • Horizontal Rear Suspension • Low Center Of Gravity • Optimized Weight Distribution • Comprehensive Lightweight Construction

GORGEOUS PREMIUM DESIGN
AK 550 sets the bar for the perfect integration of sport and premium designs with its utmost attention to every detail. From the streamlined gorgeous body with full LED lighting to the nicely sculptured emblems and multi-textured seating surfaces, it not only stands out from the crowd but also gives the rider the pride of ownership.

COMPREHENSIVE LIGHTWEIGHT CONSTRUCTION
AK 550’s every component is engineered with the aim to achieve maximum strength with minimum weight. Its lightweight aluminum frame provides the rigidity necessary for spirited riding. The selected lightweight radial tire combined with the hollow designed low-pressure die casting aluminum wheels further reduce the unsprung weight.

STRATEGIC CENTER OF GRAVITY PLACEMENT
AK 550 has the lowest center of gravity in its class. All body components are engineered to give the vehicle a near 50/50 front to rear weight distribution for perfect balance. This strategic placement of the center of gravity provides the most solid foundation for AK 550 to pursue its ultimate handling capability.

UPSIDE-DOWN FORK FRONT SUSPENSION
AK 550 features upside-down fork front suspension with dual disk Brembo caliper brakes. It keeps the vehicle agile and steady during cornering and delivers stunning stopping power whenever needed.

NEW GENERATION BOSCH ANTI-LOCK BRAKING SYSTEM
AK 550 is equipped with Bosch 9.1 ABS which works with both front and rear braking systems for the shortest braking distance at the highest stability. It reacts extremely fast during emergency braking and is the lightest ABS on the market today.

HORIZONTAL TRAILING ARM REAR SUSPENSION
AK 550’s three-stage reducer technology separates the weight of the engine from the transmission. It reduces the unsprung weight of the rear suspension and helps keep the wheel tightly attached to the ground at any time.

POWERFUL 550CC DUAL CYLINDER ENGINE
AK 550’s newly designed 550cc liquid-cooled dual-cylinder DOHC 8V engine is silky smooth and highly responsive. Its 39.3KW output generates powerful acceleration as well as impressive top speed. The power delivery is tuned to suit both spirited adventure as well as pleasant touring.

DISTINCTIVELY FASCINATING SOUND
AK 550 produces fascinating acoustics that is crucial to the delivery of “The Thrills Of Touring”. The sound that roars from the twin cylinder engine through the carefully structured exhaust chamber is full of energy and passion that is simply distinctive and intoxicating.

DUAL POWER MODES
AK 550 has two power modes for the riders to enjoy every journey in different weather conditions. Other than the normal “Full Power” setting, the “Rain Mode” provides the rider with milder power output and softer throttle response that suit wet surfaces with low grip.

LOW SEAT HEIGHT
AK 550’s low seat height design provides good ergonomics for riders of all sizes. Moreover, it keeps the whole center of gravity low when the rider is on board. The lower riding position not only gives the rider more confidence when maneuvering, but it also enhances the whole riding experience.

PRACTICAL STORAGE SPACE
AK 550’s underseat space is capable of storing one full face helmet and one semi cover helmet. It strikes a good balance between the needs for the large space for extended journey and the compact body design geared for spirited riding. There are also two glove compartments in front for the storage of smaller items.

CONNECTIVITY
Noodoe puts the rider at the center of everything and makes every moment – from when you approach your KYMCO, through the journey, the parking, when you return, even stopping at a red light – an amazing and more-fun experience. It’s a brilliant interplay of technologies and human needs that elevates your every interaction with your scooter into a heart-winning experience.

LAMS APPROVED
Ride under the Learner Approved Motorcycle Scheme (LAMS).

FACTORY WARRANTY
3-year factory warranty program* provides advanced product coverage and delivers a superior ownership experience.

Plus it looks like it will be upgraded to the AK550 premium with a new design and features the last half of 2023.

(1) 2023 KYMCO AK 550 PREMIUM _ Update Features and Colors - Bing video

· Premium Member
2,462 Posts
Looks impressive. If I was shopping, I'd be poking around in that direction.
Honestly, I can't think of a single thing I don't like about my late model Burgman 650. It will probably outlast me.
On the one hand, I agree with you, re both "that direction" and "a single thing."

OTOH, I had actually -- sort of, kind of -- started shopping around, for that very 550.

Not that there's anything wrong with the Big Burger -- and SO much right with it -- but It was in the back of my mind that I was riding a 14-year-old scooter, and that if the belt or tranny went south, I'm much too old and much too lacking in equipment (no lift, for example), strength, patience, and talent to fix it.

I had done my usual annual letter and phone call to Yamaha, asking them to bring the TMax to North America. As usual, no hint of any change in that situation.

And then I had done some emailing to Kymco, asking where there was a 550 in stock, so I could at least SIT on the freakin scoot before I ordered one. (There's a Suzuki dealer maybe four miles from me, where I'd get my oil filters and suchlike, who also happens to sell Kymco. But they only have the little ones; the owner offered to order a 550 for me, but I put that off.)

In any case, Kymco never got back to me, after several attempts. And I couldn't locate a showroom model within a thousand miles or so, if at all. Much as @rjs987 has detailed his rides and maintenance and satisfaction with the 550, I refuse to order a bike that I haven't at least sat on, at a dealer's, Americade, the NYC Cycle Show, etc., no matter how much I read about one. (My first sit-down on a Big Burger was at the NYC show in late 2006 or early 2007, as was my first sit-down on a Victory Cross Country Tour, in late 2011; I bought both a few months after each test-sit.)

And then the wife and I did a couple of weeks last May on the 400 Beemer, and she said that she liked the ergos -- top box backrest, feet position, seat, etc. -- so much that she thought I should get one. And that was all the encouragement I needed.

I must say that the Big Burger has more storage, more oomph, and more stretch-out room than the Beemer.

On the third hand, the C 400 GT handles better than any bike I've owned (including, I believe, the most lean angle), is surprisingly (to me, anyway) peppy and smooth for a small thumper, and has modern amenities such as a TFT display, turn-by-turn even without the optional nav, and throttle-by-wire.

And what is perhaps most pleasing to me -- right up there with the handling -- is how much I appreciate the loss of 140 lbs. or so, compared to the Burger (and the Kymco has some of that weight-reduction going for it, too, of course). Maybe it's a geezer thing -- I'll be 75 next month -- but I was surprised at how heavy the BB felt, moving it around the garage, for the month or so that I had both bikes.

And it may cost money, but it's also comforting having an established dealer network around (vs. the Kymco). Part of that is the I'm-getting-too-old for maintenance aspect (even though I still enjoy doing electrical farkles). Also comforting is having a three-year warranty; I've already ponied up, BTW, for a factory extension on that.

So if the BB doesn't happen to outlast you, and BMW is still making the 400, keep it in mind, is my suggestion.

· Registered
2022 Matte Deep Blue Kymco AK 550
2,925 Posts
The USA version of the standard AK 550 has a 2 yr warranty. Don't know about the Premium model that is coming out in other countries. I do think it would be really nice if the Premium model came over to the USA. I'm very happy with my current 2022 AK 550. I noticed in that video in the OP that both the Standard and Premium models were on display.

I totally agree that it is best to test sit, and if possible to test ride, the AK 550 before a purchase. It is unfortunate that so many dealers don't stock any. Since I bought mine in Nov 2021 several dealers that I had contacted in my search have now started to keep at least one, and sometimes more, AK 550 Super Scooters on the floor. I contacted the 3 or 4 Kymco dealers that were within 150 miles of me before I bought mine and specifically asked if they work on the AK for warranty and non-warranty service. There were one or two who said they only work on the smaller scooters even though their contract per KymcoUSA requires them to support the entire product line (which is common for any brand). The dealer that I like best is 125 miles from me and does work on the entire Kymco lineup. They didn't have any in stock at the beginning of 2022 but through the summer started stocking the AK and other models and have restocked also due to selling off the first batch. Same as the dealer from where I did buy mine. They ordered the first one when I called expressing interest. Then they ordered another one in the color I told them I wanted. Then they restocked with 4 more and sold all those between then and now and had yet another one on the floor when I visited last fall. The Deep Blue ones seem to be a favorite. :giggle:

For anyone interested... Keep checking. Eventually dealers will come to their senses and begin to stock them. My first test sit was at a dealer near where my son lives in Lafayette, LA. Then just a few weeks later my first test ride was at another dealer in Ft Smith, AR. Both were near where I was traveling anyway. Right away I noticed the 115 lbs less weight with NO lack of effective power per my Burgman 650. In fact it feels the same as running the Burgman 650 in Power Mode ALL THE TIME without the hit in mpg. And I also noted the AK is able to lean much more than the Burgman without touching anything. Then the dealer where I bought was just over 400 miles away. It was worth every mile to find. That was a really nice ride home in early November on the new bike. I'll have to keep talking to my local Suzuki dealer into bringing in the Kymco lineup. They already carry another brand of scooter in addition to the Burgman series.

I also do think it is unfortunate that the Kymco AK 550 is currently the only mega/maxi/super scooter in the USA right now. There are other... how shall I put it... quasi scooter/motorcycles around but still nothing like the Burgman 650 or AK 550 or TMax 560 other than the AK.

· Registered
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The USA version of the standard AK 550 has a 2 yr warranty. Don't know about the Premium model that is coming out in other countries. I do think it would be really nice if the Premium model came over to the USA. I'm very happy with my current 2022 AK 550. I noticed in that video in the OP that both the Standard and Premium models were on display.

I totally agree that it is best to test sit, and if possible to test ride, the AK 550 before a purchase. It is unfortunate that so many dealers don't stock any. Since I bought mine in Nov 2021 several dealers that I had contacted in my search have now started to keep at least one, and sometimes more, AK 550 Super Scooters on the floor. I contacted the 3 or 4 Kymco dealers that were within 150 miles of me before I bought mine and specifically asked if they work on the AK for warranty and non-warranty service. There were one or two who said they only work on the smaller scooters even though their contract per KymcoUSA requires them to support the entire product line (which is common for any brand). The dealer that I like best is 125 miles from me and does work on the entire Kymco lineup. They didn't have any in stock at the beginning of 2022 but through the summer started stocking the AK and other models and have restocked also due to selling off the first batch. Same as the dealer from where I did buy mine. They ordered the first one when I called expressing interest. Then they ordered another one in the color I told them I wanted. Then they restocked with 4 more and sold all those between then and now and had yet another one on the floor when I visited last fall. The Deep Blue ones seem to be a favorite. :giggle:

For anyone interested... Keep checking. Eventually dealers will come to their senses and begin to stock them. My first test sit was at a dealer near where my son lives in Lafayette, LA. Then just a few weeks later my first test ride was at another dealer in Ft Smith, AR. Both were near where I was traveling anyway. Right away I noticed the 115 lbs less weight with NO lack of effective power per my Burgman 650. In fact it feels the same as running the Burgman 650 in Power Mode ALL THE TIME without the hit in mpg. And I also noted the AK is able to lean much more than the Burgman without touching anything. Then the dealer where I bought was just over 400 miles away. It was worth every mile to find. That was a really nice ride home in early November on the new bike. I'll have to keep talking to my local Suzuki dealer into bringing in the Kymco lineup. They already carry another brand of scooter in addition to the Burgman series.

I also do think it is unfortunate that the Kymco AK 550 is currently the only mega/maxi/super scooter in the USA right now. There are other... how shall I put it... quasi scooter/motorcycles around but still nothing like the Burgman 650 or AK 550 or TMax 560 other than the AK.
Did your AK550 come with two key fobs?

· Registered
2,925 Posts
Did your AK550 come with two key fobs?
Yes it did. All new bikes should come with 2. There are 2 rubber inserts that are removed during un-crating and assembly to install the stock mirrors and I also kept those (I had to ask for them). I've seen where some owners in other countries removed the stock mirrors and plugged the large hole with those inserts. They usually added aftermarket bar end mirrors or elected (foolishly) to go without any.

I keep my extra fob in a RFID pouch under the seat. I bought a pair of pouches from Amazon. One for the spare fob and one for the fob I use for when I'm not very far from the front of the AK. The clear line of sight range of the fob to bike connection is about 48 ft. I tested this with the help of the dealer/owner of the very first AK I sat on. The tiles of the floor were 12 inches square and I had the owner stand at various distances from the AK on the floor until it stopped seeing the fob (attempting to turn on the bike, then turn completely off if it works and try again at a farther distance). That was about 48 ft in front of the AK. Side and rear distance is much closer... more like about 5 ft. from the dash. I had read on another forum that the fob has a long range. I sometimes have my tent closer than 50 ft from the front of the AK when I camp and also sometimes I am only on the other side of a window, 10 ft away, when I stop for lunch when traveling. Once the AK is powered on the fob is no longer needed to start the motor and ride away. It is only needed to turn on or activate the bike.

BTW- I did install the emergency seat release mod on my AK. And I keep the fob I am using in a zippered pocket so it cannot fall out... and I'm anal about checking that all the zippers of my riding gear are zipped shut before and even during riding (just a little paranoid about that).

This picture shows the partition divider I installed at the rear part of the storage box (bought from AliExpress- they come in different colors) and I keep the spare fob in its RFID pouch back there. I added a rough bead of JB Weld plastic bond to the sides just for extra insurance that the brackets don't pull away. The plastic divider can slide out if I need the full length of the storage box. The divider does show how deep the storage box is just at the rear. It drops down to more than twice that depth just in front of the divider to hold a full face or modular helmet (why the divider is a good idea).
Hood Motor vehicle Trunk Vehicle Bumper

· Premium Member
2,674 Posts
Hmmm...
  • 2 cylinders
  • 53 hp.
  • balanced 50-50
  • looks like a big trunk

-- not available in actual colors?
-- I think the electronic gizmo drive and metal CVT chain aren't for me

I would love to see a twin with AN400-style drive belt. Becuz I can fix it.

• Haha
Reactions: Dave_J

· Registered
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hmmm...
  • 2 cylinders
  • 53 hp.
  • balanced 50-50
  • looks like a big trunk

-- not available in actual colors?
-- I think the electronic gizmo drive and metal CVT chain aren't for me

I would love to see a twin with AN400-style drive belt. Becuz I can fix it.
If you look at 1:28 on the video it shows the premium is belt driven.

· Registered
2,925 Posts
I think the comment about the steel belt might be referring to the CVT belt and not the final drive? Or am I wrong about that. @mike1nw ?
The final drive belt is very similar to what is used on Harley or BMW or other brand belt drive bikes. That belt might possibly last well over 50,000 miles as it does on those other bikes. But that's just the final drive and not that hard to maintain.
I recently replace the rear tire myself and that included pulling the final drive belt off the rear wheel sprocket to get the rear wheel off the bike. That part was actually rather easy. In fact, putting it all back together was rather easy as well. Admittedly, don't the same task (remove the rear wheel-reinstall the rear wheel) is easier on the Burgman 650 since there is no need to adjust the rear sprocket to align with the front sprocket of the final drive. But even that alignment is not hard to do and was one of the easier parts of the task.

Now the CVT is NOT the final drive. The CVT is on the right side of the bike under the passenger peg and rear end of the right foot board. The CVT is MUCH easier to work on than the CVT of the Burgman 650. It is almost as easy as working on the Burgman 400 CVT but just not part of the final drive/swing arm. Remove a few plastic bits and the CVT cover is easily removed. The entire CVT can be taken off the motor while the AK is on the center stand.
The CVT in the AK 550 is not an electronic one like in the AN650 but mechanical with sliders/rollers just like in the AN400 CVT. The CVT and CVT belt IS the AN400 style setup other than not being on the swing arm. So anyone who can work on the AN400 CVT and belt can work on the AK 550 CVT and belt.

I just recently bought a spare CVT belt since that is a part that the service schedule recommends to be replaced every 12,000 miles. Though I think it might last longer than that but better to do it than run the risk of being left stranded. I will likely be doing that maintenance this summer or late summer since I have over 8600 miles on the AK now. So far the only periodic maintenance needed has been the oil/filter changes (every 6000 miles per the schedule).

The trunk or storage box is not really as big as in either of the big Burgman scooters. It can fit one large full face or modular helmet along with a half helmet easily. The seat has 2 latches rather than just one and they are in front with the hinge at the rear. The storage box is lighted as can be seen in my previous photo(square LED light).

In 2022 the AK came to the USA in 4 colors: Deep Blue, Crystal Silver, Space Grey, and Black. So what if Kymco put an odd name in front of the actual color. They still did call out the actual color. Only the Grey is gloss, the others are a Matte finish. I've come to like that finish on my Blue model. It seems to shed dirt a lot easier than the gloss finishes of all my previous bikes. And it is VERY easy to clean using just water and a microfiber cloth. BTW- NEVER use wax or polish on a Matte finish unless that product specifically states it is intended for a "MATTE" finish (Satin finishes are different and are not a Matte finish for this purpose). In 2023 for the USA Kymco has the AK in Deep Blue or Metalic Silver. Those are real colors.

Disclaimer: I base all my comments about the 2022 model of the AK 550 on my own personal experience with my own AK 550.
I believe the 2023 AK 550 for the USA is basically unchanged from the model I have in my garage so my comments can apply to that model as well. I have not seen or read anything to the contrary.
The Premium model (not available in the USA) is a new/different machine in some features, but the same power plant and basics all still apply.

· Registered
54 Posts
So far, out here in British Columbia's interior, I haven't seen any of the larger Kymco Scoots. Even the Burgman model are pretty sparse and seem to be mostly in the bigger cities. I do occasionally see one on the highway passing through. A lot of people seem to give up big bikes and don't even consider switching over to one of the bigger scooters as they age (the people, not the machine). I didn't want to give up riding and the 650 Burgman, while a heavy beast, is so easy to ride once underway that I hope to have many more years on it.

· Premium Member
2,674 Posts
Yes I see the belt
It doesn't seem to drive the rear wheel directly?
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Automotive exterior

· Registered
1,910 Posts
Yes I see the belt
It doesn't seem to drive the rear wheel directly?
I think this is the third time that question has been asked - but MY memory isn't what it was! ;)

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Camera lens Automotive design

· Registered
1,910 Posts
Don't know about the Premium model that is coming out in other countries. I do think it would be really nice if the Premium model came over to the USA. I'm very happy with my current 2022 AK 550. I noticed in that video in the OP that both the Standard and Premium models were on display
For general interest only - 2023 info taken from Kymco UK website. A resurrection about to take place?

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Tread

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

· Premium Member
2,674 Posts
Pic of other side of engine is on Kymco site. But it's in some weird web.p format, can't attach it 😐

· Administrator
18,254 Posts
Pic of other side of engine is on Kymco site. But it's in some weird web.p format, can't attach it 😐
Sometimes a webp file must be saved, opened in MS Paint, saved again as a jpeg and then posted.

· Registered
2,925 Posts
@Bluestrom13 , would be nice if the USA even got the Euro 5 AK 550 ST... but we don't.
One not so nice thing about the ST version is that the gas tank is only 12.5L (3.3 gal) vs the 14.5-15L (3.83-3.96 gal) tank of the USA and Euro 4 versions that we do have over here. Then again looking at the UK Kymco web site it does say 15L. When the ST version came out last year the spec stated 12.3 to make room for the Euro 5 extra parts. Last years ST version also had all the modifications incorporated into the 2023 Premium version. Maybe Kymco reconfigured the Euro 5 version to restore the tank capacity or more likely they figured out how to bring the Euro 4 version up to Euro 5 standards without the extra parts and returned to the look of the Euro 4 version (body and round keyless control instead of the piano keys). But looking closer the web page for the 2023 original designed flagship model does not say AK 550 ST but just AK 550.
This is on Kymco AK550 | Kymco UK
I only see the Premium and the original flagship models listed on the UK web site. Not the ST.

@mike1nw , here are a few pics of the engine. I annotated these for another post on another forum. One of the left side and another for the right side.

This pic of the left side shows a splined spindle sticking out at the rear of the engine back from the wet clutch. That's what the front sprocket is mounted on for the front end of the final drive belt. Kymco calls that belt the "Timing Belt" or "Timing Drive Belt." That matches up with the front of the final drive belt in the pic that Bluestrom13 posted above. The water pump (blue part) is gear driven off the crankshaft. The alternator is directly off the engine crankshaft on the left side.
Font Automotive design Vehicle Automotive wheel system Automotive tire

This pic shows the right side and CVT. The wet clutch is directly across to the other side of the engine from the driven pulley of the CVT. There is a reduction gear set between the clutch and the final drive output shaft. The front driving pulley of the CVT, with the variator/rollers, is also directly off the engine crankshaft on the right side.
Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

These pics were originally captured from a Google search of the AK 550 engine and I added the annotations.

· Registered
2,925 Posts
And here is what the Euro 4 and USA versions look like stripped and instrument cluster removed. And likely also the 2023 AK 550 (not ST or Premium).
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Motorcycle

You can see here that the CVT (lower image) has no frame blocking access to it.

· Registered
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Is it easy to check the coolant level? Is it a pain to replace the air filter?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts