Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At my age, riding w/o backrest, ready for rest stop after 15 mins, w/backrest can ride ‘til call of nature.

Studying the adjustable “butt bumper(BB)”, fabricated a rock solid backrest as follows:
Discarded BB pad.
Purchased at my favorite hardware place a length of 1/8” X 1” X 36” metal flat bar.
Got a good back pad from Amazon for $20.
Measured a length of the flat bar whereby flat bar would be attached to front of BB bracket, angle forward 5+ deg, then added length to accommodate pad. Angle grinder or saw to cut lengths.
Drilled 4 1/4” holes, 2 for bracket, 2 for pad…in each bar.
Drilled matching receiving holes in back of pad.
Attach bars to front of BB bracket, using washers for shims.
Used small sheetrock plastic anchors* to attach pad to bars.
< $30…

*Found in kitchen junk drawer :p
Vehicle Tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Vehicle Land vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive tire

· Premium Member
2,462 Posts
@B4002023:

1) Nice work: creative and functional.

2) You might want to put acorn nuts or something over the ends of the bolts (after maybe cutting off some of them), in case a jacket might rub against them and do some damage to its fabric.

· Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@B4002023:

1) Nice work: creative and functional.

2) You might want to put acorn nuts or something over the ends of the bolts (after maybe cutting off some of them), in case a jacket might rub against them and do some damage to its fabric.
Yes, you're right! Now that I have it together I can see some tweaks that should be made.

· Registered
171 Posts
Did you reuse the bolts/nuts from the old butt bumper and the new back rest? You bent the flat bar to give the new back rest a comfortable position - will the bar be ridged enough to withstand the rider leaning back on the rest?

Thanks for posting. This looks like an simple and nice looking fix to obtain needed back support at negligible cost. I’ll add this to my winter project list.

· Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you reuse the bolts/nuts from the old butt bumper and the new back rest? You bent the flat bar to give the new back rest a comfortable position - will the bar be ridged enough to withstand the rider leaning back on the rest?

Thanks for posting. This looks like an simple and nice looking fix to obtain needed back support at negligible cost. I’ll add this to my winter project list.
Didn't use bumper bolts/nuts, just got 1 1/4 X 1/4 X 20 bolts, after putting together might have used 1 in. bolt. The bars are hardened steel and are plenty good for my old light body. Thanks!

· Registered
67 Posts
I like it. My repurposed Isuzu headrest has been a huge help on my 650, butI your solution looks like it would be more comfortable. I find appropriate sized rubber vacuum caps ideal to cover exposed bolt ends. I have used them in the past to eliminate potential chafing concerns in the engine bay of my car.

· Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I like it. My repurposed Isuzu headrest has been a huge help on my 650, butI your solution looks like it would be more comfortable. I find appropriate sized rubber vacuum caps ideal to cover exposed bolt ends. I have used them in the past to eliminate potential chafing concerns in the engine bay of my car.
Yes, those caps would work good, I'm going to see if I can use shorter bolts with an acorn nut. Thanks!

· Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sir, why don't you try making a similar padding like I did, both below and behind? Cover up all that metal and you'd be more comfortable

Your suggestion certainly makes it look better. This is kinda like phase 1 of the project. Open to any tweak suggestions. Whatever I do can't alter the position of pad, it hits me just right for comfortable riding. Thanks!

· Premium Member
2,673 Posts
All good ideas 😃
Years ago, I got some THIN pieces of plywood. Curved then glued 2 sheets at a time. Until I had a sort of a thicker ergonomic butt rest. Looked nice but uncomfortable as heck.
Might try above ones this winter.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts