Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

101 - 120 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
O.k, I've got an ass chewing coming for not keeping up with the posts on this. My apologies and I offer no meaningless excuses. Now, back to the topic at hand.

As it stands now, there seem to be between 5 and 10 people who are up for the trip. There have been a few questions regarding the agenda, stops, restaurants, etc. Other than the evening stops, there are no plans and that is by design. As I posted earlier, trying to map all of that out was simply ruining this trip for me. My work is pretty structured and definitive and my intention remains to avoid that for a few days. Other than the definite evening resting places, the rest of the trip is yours to influence. If there are stops you want to make, places you would like to see, or turns that suit your fancy, we can make those decisions before we start each morning and take all of the side trips anyone wants to make. That is why I included the night stops, so everyone will know where we will be that evening. I'll post them again below.

I will also post our St. Louis meeting place later today. I tried to do some scouting last night but it was a Cardinals baseball night and traffic was too much so I will go back today and pick a definitive location.

The trip is a definite go for me. If you would please...send a brief reply that you are in so I can get a quick count and send it out to everyone. Even if you don’t reply and decide to show up last minute, you’ll have a spot.

Regards, Randy

June 15
Wagon Wheel Motel, Cuba
901 E Washington St.
Cuba, MO 65453 573- 885-3411

Old & New Meet In Wagon Wheel Motel's Rich Ammenities

June 16
Munger Moss Motel

1336 East Rte 66
Lebanon, MO 65536
Phone: (417) 532-3111
Munger Moss Motel | Home

June 17
Boots Court Motel
107 S. Garrison Avenue.
Carthage, MO
417-310-2989
Boots Motel-Court in Carthage, MO on Route 66

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
After scouting the downtown area, there really aren't any good places to gather unless everyone is very familiar with the City. Instead, I am going to follow Tprender's recommendation and set the starting point at the Route 66 State Park. It is on I44 exit 266 (emphasis on the 66 I suppose), just west of St. Louis. We will meet at the Welcome Center at 9 am on June 15. Just take the exit and follow the signs. Super easy to get to. They have a small (free) museum and gift shop (not free:)) for the trinket minded. Just across the river is the rest of the State Park. We can take a roll through there if anyone is interested.

Again, and I can't emphasize this enough, I haven't set an agenda other than the start time and evening stops. I am open to just about any stops anyone wants to make. The distance between hotels is less than 100 miles each day so we have plenty of time for tons of Missouri back-road side trips, eating at some restaurant your buddy told you about, pretty much anything. My goal is to stay off I44 except in places where it absorbed Route 66. In most places there are side roads that used to be 66 but now parallel I44. That's where most of the trip will take place...plus the side trips.

So, plans and dates are set. Confirmed yes' are coming in. Now, go change your oil, give it a good bath, and pack your bag. Hope to see you on the 15th.

·
Registered
19 Posts
As of right now I am a go for the trip. Will be by myself and would like to share a room with someone if possible to save on cost. Also, i have had both shots 2 months ago. if that would make a difference with someone .

·
Registered
64 Posts
I am looking forward to being with you. I will work on plans and post what I have in mind and others can see if they like it. I don't want to be 30 miles past something and then find out I should have planned.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
I am looking forward to being with you. I will work on plans and post what I have in mind and others can see if they like it. I don't want to be 30 miles past something and then find out I should have planned.
Sounds good. I will also make a list of things I want to see or roads I want to ride. I know that Devil’s Elbow is on my list of side runs.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I promised to put forth a plan, so here is an idea for day 1. If any one uses Garmin, I can share the GPX file also.
After our meet up at the park, I plan to backtrack a little to spend some time at the Transportation museum, then take Rt 66 a short distance, which is now 4 lane. Then to make for more interesting riding, I will take a little diversion on St Albans Rd and Fiddle Creek Rd and back to old 66. I plan to stop for a little lunch at Road House 100 on old 66 in Gray Station. After that I will take the service road rather than the interstate 44 to Stanton, avoiding downtown St Clair. From there, I am going to take a tour of Meramec Caverns. After that, service roads and Old 66 to Cuba, MO. The Garmin trip calculator says, allowing 45 min lunch, 2 hours in the museum and 2 hours at the caverns layover time (overly generous allowance?), has the trip time around 8 hours (arrive motel about 5:00pm), and distance around 128 miles. I will suggest Missouri Hick Barbeque for supper, and an evening stroll to see the 14 murals in downtown Cuba.

Unfortunately, the owner of Bob's Gasoline Alley died unexpectedly in 2020 and the collection was auctioned.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
I promised to put forth a plan, so here is an idea for day 1. If any one uses Garmin, I can share the GPX file also.
After our meet up at the park, I plan to backtrack a little to spend some time at the Transportation museum, then take Rt 66 a short distance, which is now 4 lane. Then to make for more interesting riding, I will take a little diversion on St Albans Rd and Fiddle Creek Rd and back to old 66. I plan to stop for a little lunch at Road House 100 on old 66 in Gray Station. After that I will take the service road rather than the interstate 44 to Stanton, avoiding downtown St Clair. From there, I am going to take a tour of Meramec Caverns. After that, service roads and Old 66 to Cuba, MO. The Garmin trip calculator says, allowing 45 min lunch, 2 hours in the museum and 2 hours at the caverns layover time (overly generous allowance?), has the trip time around 8 hours (arrive motel about 5:00pm), and distance around 128 miles. I will suggest Missouri Hick Barbeque for supper, and an evening stroll to see the 14 murals in downtown Cuba.

Unfortunately, the owner of Bob's Gasoline Alley died unexpectedly in 2020 and the collection was auctioned.
That looks good to me. i intend to stay of I-44 as much as possible. If no one objects, we could change the starting place to the Transportation museum and add a stop at 66State Park, rather than back track.

·
Registered
64 Posts
If the other riders send you their email and phone numbers in a PM (Conversation) so that you can coordinate with everyone that would be great. I am Ok with you making a decision and notifying everyone. I can make it work either way so long as there is some lead time to make adjustments.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I like the idea of starting at the Transportation Museum better and then going to the Route 66 Museum. Going this way would make more sense and we would not be backtracking.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 ·
I haven’t heard any objections so I am moving the official starting point to the Transportation Museum. Still 9am but we will spend some time milling about there so sleeping in is still an option for those that want to.😏

2933 Barrett Station Road
Saint Louis, Missouri 63122

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 ·
If you are still following this, you either still want to go but haven't made the decision, came up with a good enough excuse to be away for a few days, or just want to live vicariously through those of us who have... there is still time to climb on board. I've booked rooms at the aforementioned hotels and each say they have more rooms available.

As of now there are 4 of us. That's a good number to work with but there is room for more. Come join us if you can. Randy

·
Registered
64 Posts
Here is what I have planned for the second day. If folks want to do something different, I'm open to possible changes, but I like having a plan. Restaurants are just suggestions at this point. The time is a little under 8 hours total, 168 mi.

1. Start the day with breakfast at Shellys Rt 66 Cafe, then short stop at Fanning Rt 66 Outpost and Feedstore, Cuba, MO
    Service road to Doolittle, then a southern loop through Mark Twain forest rather than service road
  2. Hooker Cut, take loop to Devils's Elbow, ride by Elbow Inn Bar and BBQ, Teardrop Rd. CLOSED (index) on this page select Route 66 Audio Tour (pictures and text) near bottom of menu on the left and click on STOPS 6 - 10 for a preview.
  3. Then loop North in Gasconade River area to Dixon, Through Crocker and back to Waynesville,
    Funk Yard General Store and Jurassic Diner for lunch St. Robert, MO
  4. drive by Old Stage Coach Stop Museum, Waynesville, MO CLOSED, before stop at Trail of Tears (1838) Park/Roy Laughlin Park, Roubidoux Springs, Waynesville, MO Take a stroll to springs.
    15th largest in state, divers have mapped over 2 mi.
  5. Route 66 Museum, 915 S. Jefferson Ave.,Lebanon, MO 65536 and then to Munger-Moss Motel and dinner at Rail 1868 Restaurant and tavern.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 ·
No objections from me. Like I said, I know where I’m sleeping and the rest is me just going with the flow. I appreciate your need for a plan because it makes my life so much more simple. I owe you a beer.

I’m looking forward to the trip. It’s been on my list for several years.

·
Registered
64 Posts
As we go through Springfield, there are some options that might be a reason to diverge. The American Voyager Association is having a rally. AVA 2021 Springfield, MO. I'm not sure what they have to see or learn, but it will be at 3050 N. Kentwood Ave, just a 1/2 mi north of Rt 66 near Glenstone Ave. About 2 mi south is Gene's Gallery motorcycle shop. They usually have a variety of gear and equipment including Tilting Wheel Trike and other types of trike conversions. Either might be interesting for a short stop. I plan to visit the History Museum on the Square, and that could be a regrouping location. As you can see, I'm working on a plan for day three.

·
Registered
19 Posts
If anyone is going to be trailing there machine to the St Louis area, you can park your unit at my house for the days that we will be gone. there is a dead end side street beside my house and it would be safe to park it there for the time that we will be gone on the ride.

101 - 120 of 136 Posts