Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

61 - 80 of 100 Posts

Registered
2013 Burgman 650 who's name is Frankenberg...
I am sure you are right. My older brother has said the same thing. He has also said it was the best thing he had done when he went as early as possible. 馃榿
My retirement is from a medical disability so it's not a real pleasant experience at times. Scooting is about the only fun thing I do.

Super Moderator
2017 Suzuki Burgman 650
My retirement is from a medical disability so it's not a real pleasant experience at times. Scooting is about the only fun thing I do.
Sorry you are having that. I have been blessed to have avoided many of the issues plaguing others with military backgrounds. If scootering around helps you, God bless and go for it. I find it to be my escape from the stress of the office. I don't have a connected phone on my bike, no GPS or radio either.
Back to our regularly scheduled Route 66 discussion.

Administrator
OK, the start location is in St Louis MO.
So, as of now, where is the turn around point location?

I may be able to ride east to St Louis and then ride west to your turn around point then ride home. It is 2100 miles just from my house to St Louis.

I can not camp out unless there is 120 Volts AC for my Cpap. One of the needs of life.

Registered
Sorry you are having that. I have been blessed to have avoided many of the issues plaguing others with military backgrounds. If scootering around helps you, God bless and go for it. I find it to be my escape from the stress of the office. I don't have a connected phone on my bike, no GPS or radio either.
Back to our regularly scheduled Route 66 discussion.
All 3 of my sons want me to quit riding. I said even if I had a wreck and was killed it beats sitting in my house or on my porch for a decade waiting to die. Kinda morbid I know but...

Administrator

I may be able to ride east to St Louis and then ride west to your turn around point then ride home. It is 2100 miles just from my house to St Louis.

I can not camp out unless there is 120 Volts AC for my Cpap. One of the needs of life.
OK, I see its 300 miles from St Louis to Joplin MO and you are turning and going back a different route. The 2100 miles to meet up and then go a short ride is not really good for me unless a few other riders were heading back to OK, NM, AZ or CA. Below is the route I'd go as I want to stop in Alamogordo NM to see if I can find my missing 80 year old Aunt. Then I want to go to Salt Lake UT and Rexburg ID to do some family tree search. The Danish Nielsen's and Nellsen's landed there in the late 1890's.

Scooter Run.jpg <<Click on

Super Moderator
2017 Suzuki Burgman 650
All 3 of my sons want me to quit riding. I said even if I had a wreck and was killed it beats sitting in my house or on my porch for a decade waiting to die. Kinda morbid I know but...
Yes sir it may seem a bit of a morbid topic but also a topic that every one of us has to answer at some point. Precisely why we all need to go on rides like this one. Historic and just interesting.
Ride on man...... 馃浀 (y)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Sorry for the recent "dead air". I have been working on setting up the perfect trip. What I finally figured out was that all of that planning was ruining this trip for me. With that in mind, this is what I've decided. For those who want to join we will meet at the Arch in St.Louis at 9 am on June 15. After we all shake hands and walk around each other鈥檚 scooters for a minute, we will head East to the Chain of Rocks Bridge in North St.L. That is the original crossing point into Missouri for the mother road. There is little to no parking in that area so the Arch seems the most logical starting point to me.

The trek across Missouri is only about 230 miles, an easy 1 day ride but that is not how I have this worked out. I have broken the trip into 3 segments going West. Overnight stops are in Cuba, Lebanon, and Carthage. Much like going to a motorcycle or scooter rally, I figured that each day can have plenty of side trips between way-points and return to our daily home base locations. I also included the overnight towns so that others may join where they choose and anyone that wants to can also venture out on their own and still know where to meet up later that evening. I found some 鈥減eriod correct鈥 motels at each stop. It is probably a good idea to make reservations early. There are also plenty of chain hotels and campgrounds near by each of them.

Finally, I started this trip with the notion that I would enjoy myself. Knowing that I don鈥檛 enjoy riding in the rain, my rain date will be the following week on June 22. Naturally, I will send a post if it is looking that way but June is pretty nice as a general rule.

I am really looking forward to this trip and hope plenty of riders come. I also encourage everyone to do some internet searches for this route and find places of personal interest.

Hope to see you soon,
Randy

June 15
Wagon Wheel Motel, Cuba
901 E Washington St.
Cuba, MO 65453
573- 885-3411
Old & New Meet In Wagon Wheel Motel's Rich Ammenities

June 16
Munger Moss Motel

1336 East Rte 66
Lebanon, MO 65536
Phone: (417) 532-3111
Munger Moss Motel | Home

June 17
Boots Court Motel
107 S. Garrison Avenue.
Carthage, MO
417-310-2989
Boots Motel-Court in Carthage, MO on Route 66

Registered
Discussion Starter · #68 ·

The turn around is in Joplin at the Kansas border. The return will be a1 day run on as many back roads as i can find. My 400 can do interstate speeds but I don't enjoy listening to it work that hard.

I hope you can make this work for you.

Administrator
I think I may have to pass this time. I'd have to do 3 days of 800 miles just to get to the 'Meet" at the Arch. Then doing 80 miles a day with maybe 40 mile side trips for the 3 days of this ride.
I think that would be too much for me. It would be 5,800 miles round trip in 9 -10 days, mostly superslab.

Reactions: kwajman

Registered
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
I think I may have to pass this time. I'd have to do 3 days of 800 miles just to get to the 'Meet" at the Arch. Then doing 80 miles a day with maybe 40 mile side trips for the 3 days of this ride.
I think that would be too much for me. It would be 5,800 miles round trip in 9 -10 days, mostly superslab.
Understood. Sorry to hear you wont be making this one. Take care. Randy

Registered
How close does that ride count as a 'Ironbutt'? :)

Registered
Being about 100 miles a day it鈥檚 more of a feather butt run but hey, a badge is a badge. :giggle:(y)
Yeah, if I remember the IB is what, a thousand miles in one day? I do a hundred miles for scenic ride in a morning here in South Georgia!

Administrator
When I was in my 30's I rode from Augusta GA to Seattle WA in two days. That was 1,560 miles day 1 and 1,280 day 2, with two 4 hour naps. National Speed Limit was still 55 MPH and I did 75 MPH most of the way but some at 125+ MPH.

I did that trip on a naked Suzuki GS1100. First trip that I ever used ear plugs and they helped a lot.

These would have given 1 Butt Burner Gold 1,500 mile and 1 Saddle Sore 1,000.
Edited to correct Butt Burner Gold.

Registered
2013 Suzuki Burgman 650 ABS
@kwajman , as Dave implicated there are several Iron Butt rides or events.
Anything from that commonly known 1000 miles in a day, to the 4 corners of the USA ride, to the Coast to Coast rides and many many others in many countries around the world.

See here for a list of Iron Butt rides:
Ride List

Registered
OK, I see its 300 miles from St Louis to Joplin MO and you are turning and going back a different route. The 2100 miles to meet up and then go a short ride is not really good for me unless a few other riders were heading back to OK, NM, AZ or CA. Below is the route I'd go as I want to stop in Alamogordo NM to see if I can find my missing 80 year old Aunt. Then I want to go to Salt Lake UT and Rexburg ID to do some family tree search. The Danish Nielsen's and Nellsen's landed there in the late 1890's.

View attachment 93184 <<Click on
Yeah, it's 750 miles from my town to St. Louis...I need to figure out if I can make it on two wheels.

Registered
I don't see a parking area for meet up at the Gateway arch park. (Never complain without having an alternative: Google Earth shows a large empty lot 3 blocks north next to the railroad tracks, so the lot and streets might be available.) Specifics some time before June would be great. I will probably build all my hometown commitments around the dates for the ride, so canceling in case of rain may not work. Otherwise, I am planning to join in. I think I will visit Claremore, Ok, Will Rodgers museum and make the trip east at my own pace (Joplin to Cincinnati). Thanks for working on the plan.

Registered
2013 Suzuki Burgman 650 ABS
Those parking lots north of the Arch are pay entry lots. There are a few other lots off S Broadway just west and a little south of the Arch that may work better... maybe as long as there is no event going on.

Registered
The trek across Missouri is only about 230 miles, an easy 1 day ride but that is not how I have this worked out. I have broken the trip into 3 segments going West. Overnight stops are in Cuba, Lebanon, and Carthage. Much like going to a motorcycle or scooter rally, I figured that each day can have plenty of side trips between way-points and return to our daily home base locations. I also included the overnight towns so that others may join where they choose and anyone that wants to can also venture out on their own and still know where to meet up later that evening. I found some 鈥減eriod correct鈥 motels at each stop. It is probably a good idea to make reservations early. There are also plenty of chain hotels and campgrounds near by each of them.
I just made hotel reservations. I have to say that the people that I spoke to on the phone at Boots Motel and Munger Moss were delightful. I chose an alternate location for Cuba.

61 - 80 of 100 Posts