Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

41 - 60 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm giving some serious thought to doing a run across the Missouri portion of Route 66, East to West from St. Louis to Joplin. The route is just over 300 miles. The return trip would be via Missouri back roads and State highways with more scenery than traffic.

If I make a go of it, I plan to avoid I-44 where ever possible and make frequent stops at probably too many of the highway oddities. To be honest, I would love to get a group of scooters together for the run. I'm thinking a 3 to 5 day round trip, staying at Mom and Pop hotels to give them some business. Others may want to camp nearby.

My summer dates are mostly open but I will tell you that August in Missouri is brutal. As I said, it's an idea and I'm open to getting with others to discuss it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am interested in making this ride being that I live just west of St Louis. When you get a date let me know and start a new post with the dates and meeting place.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I am interested in making this ride being that I live just west of St Louis. When you get a date let me know and start a new post with the dates and meeting place.
Glad to have you join in. I am trying to sort out which dates are absolute no-go for people. Then I can set one that accommodates the most people. I’m leaning toward A June date because of the temps. Please let me know any dates that are out for you.

Regards,
Randy

·
Registered
55 Posts
If the route is west to east, I expect to take 2 to three days to get from Cincinnati to the start on secondary roads. If anyone else wants to hook up for some part of the route, send a message. Southern Indiana, southern Illinois, southern Missouri.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
We will be going east to west but I hope you can make that work. On the return, we will be off the 66 run and following some quiet back roads toward St Louis.

·
Registered
2013 Burgman 650 who's name is Frankenberg...
1,072 Posts
Look forward to hearing more information as it comes up!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Look forward to hearing more information as it comes up!
Great. I am looking at June 8 through 12 to go there and back. I am trying to find a period correct motel around Waynesville. I contacted their Chamber-of Commerce and was advised that none exist. They have offered up some tourist goody bags and a warm welcome though. The search continues.

Since the date isn’t set yet, I’ll throw this out again. If anyone has any June date preferences let me know. I can be flexible now but, as we get closer everyone’s schedules get tighter.

·
Registered
2013 Suzuki Burgman 650 ABS
3,930 Posts
My June is taken on other trips. But I'm wide open in July... except the very end since that is THE anniversary and SWMBO might complain about me being gone then. I'd only likely be able to do the East to West leg and then head home.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
My June is taken on other trips. But I'm wide open in July... except the very end since that is THE anniversary and SWMBO might complain about me being gone then. I'd only likely be able to do the East to West leg and then head home.
Shame, that. What could be more important than a scooter trip with a bunch of riders you’ve never met? I mean, come on. Oh well, I understand...plans are plans.

Keep up with the messages and maybe you can see your way clear to hit part of it. The ride down is going to be slow and broken up due to the way in which 66 has been paved over and rerouted. The ride back is going to be twisty back roads through hill country and parts of Mark Twain National Forest. Here’s to hoping you can join...Randy

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I used to live for a year and a half in a small Route 66 town in extreme NE Oklahoma called Miami which is considered part of the Joplin, MO area. I can attest to the fact that Rt 66 through those areas (Miami, OK; Baxter & Galena, KS; Joplin & Carthage to Springfield,MO) have a lot of nice areas to see, eat at and tour around in (as well as further back in OK and heck, while we’re at it, clear through to CA).

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
I used to live for a year and a half in a small Route 66 town in extreme NE Oklahoma called Miami which is considered part of the Joplin, MO area. I can attest to the fact that Rt 66 through those areas (Miami, OK; Baxter & Galena, KS; Joplin & Carthage to Springfield,MO) have a lot of nice areas to see, eat at and tour around in (as well as further back in OK and heck, while we’re at it, clear through to CA).
I’m looking forward to that leg of the trip.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Suzuki Burgman 650
15,165 Posts
I’m looking forward to that leg of the trip.
Not sure how I missed this but I would like to travel along. I've ridden the roads through Missouri and Arkansas quite a bit. The back roads in either state are a riders dream. I'm in Texarkana and commute several times a years from here to Illinois. I sometimes wander back through Missouri just to extend the trip.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Not sure how I missed this but I would like to travel along. I've ridden the roads through Missouri and Arkansas quite a bit. The back roads in either state are a riders dream. I'm in Texarkana and commute several times a years from here to Illinois. I sometimes wander back through Missouri just to extend the trip.
Great. Just follow the message thread and join up where you can. We will leave from St Louis and track 66 as best we can, then back roads on the way back to St. Lou. I think it will be a memorable trip.

·
Registered
2013 Burgman 650 who's name is Frankenberg...
1,072 Posts
Great. I am looking at June 8 through 12 to go there and back. I am trying to find a period correct motel around Waynesville. I contacted their Chamber-of Commerce and was advised that none exist. They have offered up some tourist goody bags and a warm welcome though. The search continues.

Since the date isn’t set yet, I’ll throw this out again. If anyone has any June date preferences let me know. I can be flexible now but, as we get closer everyone’s schedules get tighter.
My schedule is open .... for about the next 4 years. So I'm good with June.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Suzuki Burgman 650
15,165 Posts
2 more years and mine opens completely (retirement). I look forward to meeting you on this trip. Randy
Yep, good Lord willing mine will be also. Maybe a bit before that if I can work it out. More time for riding and less time doing my work in front of a computer screen.

·
Registered
2013 Suzuki Burgman 650 ABS
3,930 Posts
Don't be too sure of that... time in retirement sometimes has a tendency to fill up even more than when you were working what you thought was full time.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Suzuki Burgman 650
15,165 Posts
Don't be too sure of that... time in retirement sometimes has a tendency to fill up even more than when you were working what you thought was full time.
I am sure you are right. My older brother has said the same thing. He has also said it was the best thing he had done when he went as early as possible. 😁

·
Registered
55 Posts
It is about an hour and a half drive from Joplin to Claremore, OK where the Will Rogers Memorial Museum is located. I would like to add about a half day into my route plan for a visit there if it is open. If your route back is pretty settled, I would just try to catch up later in the day. If it is not settled, just let this be one more possibility to consider.

41 - 60 of 100 Posts