Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm giving some serious thought to doing a run across the Missouri portion of Route 66, East to West from St. Louis to Joplin. The route is just over 300 miles. The return trip would be via Missouri back roads and State highways with more scenery than traffic.

If I make a go of it, I plan to avoid I-44 where ever possible and make frequent stops at probably too many of the highway oddities. To be honest, I would love to get a group of scooters together for the run. I'm thinking a 3 to 5 day round trip, staying at Mom and Pop hotels to give them some business. Others may want to camp nearby.

My summer dates are mostly open but I will tell you that August in Missouri is brutal. As I said, it's an idea and I'm open to getting with others to discuss it.

·
Premium Member
4,012 Posts
Joplin is only a Little Grin from Branson, Missouri and that’s only a Little Grin from:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like the idea but cannot commit at this time.
Right now, that’s what I’m looking for...people who like the idea. I’m not committed either, certainly not to a date. It looks like you are new to the site so, welcome. Please mark this conversation and come back often. Whether you go along or not, I’d bet you have some ideas that would make it a good run.
Regards,
Randy

·
Registered
2016 Burgman Exec Matte Black
79 Posts
I'd be interested in joining you from St Louis to Joplin.
Every summer I meet up with my brother in Texas for a cross country trip. Usually in June.
I'm just south of Nashville, and will be heading to Texas again this summer. Could easily deviate up your way.
Mileage is not a problem with the Burgman. I just love to get on it and ride wherever the compass points :D

·
Registered
55 Posts
In 2019 I joined the group that went from Chicago to Santa Monica on Rt. 66. We had great weather for the June ride and stopped frequently for special spots. There is a Facebook group and a web site about it, http://ridert66.com/. I just completed a jig saw puzzle about Rt 66 and it brought back lots of good memories. I don't want to do the whole trip again, but a subset would be fun.

The biggest downside to the big group was about 40% of the bikes were big loud straight pipe V-twins that were HORRIBLY loud. It was hard to find a place in the pack without the noise contamination. Riding with other Burgman riders is more to my liking.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'd be interested in joining you from St Louis to Joplin.
Every summer I meet up with my brother in Texas for a cross country trip. Usually in June.
I'm just south of Nashville, and will be heading to Texas again this summer. Could easily deviate up your way.
Mileage is not a problem with the Burgman. I just love to get on it and ride wherever the compass points :D
There we go. The idea is spreading. I think we can actually make this happen. June has perfect scooter weather in Missouri so that's a starting place.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In 2019 I joined the group that went from Chicago to Santa Monica on Rt. 66. We had great weather for the June ride and stopped frequently for special spots. There is a Facebook group and a web site about it, http://ridert66.com/. I just completed a jig saw puzzle about Rt 66 and it brought back lots of good memories. I don't want to do the whole trip again, but a subset would be fun.

The biggest downside to the big group was about 40% of the bikes were big loud straight pipe V-twins that were HORRIBLY loud. It was hard to find a place in the pack without the noise contamination. Riding with other Burgman riders is more to my liking.
Not a lot of "thunder pipes" in the scooter crowd... thank goodness. Thanks for the 66 tip guides. Please follow this chat and maybe you can fit us in this summer.

·
Registered
'07 AN400K7 in transition to being different
34 Posts
I'm giving some serious thought to doing a run across the Missouri portion of Route 66, East to West from St. Louis to Joplin. The route is just over 300 miles. The return trip would be via Missouri back roads and State highways with more scenery than traffic.

If I make a go of it, I plan to avoid I-44 where ever possible and make frequent stops at probably too many of the highway oddities. To be honest, I would love to get a group of scooters together for the run. I'm thinking a 3 to 5 day round trip, staying at Mom and Pop hotels to give them some business. Others may want to camp nearby.

My summer dates are mostly open but I will tell you that August in Missouri is brutal. As I said, it's an idea and I'm open to getting with others to discuss it.
I like the Idea, but cannot commit as well seeing that my 07 is in pieces on my garage floor. Hopefully I will have it up and running by spring.

·
Administrator
20,656 Posts
Is STO planning a2021 rally? I'm probably on board with that too if it happens. The wife and I got married there in Eureka Springs. Great roads.
Go to their Facebook page as its more up to date most times.
STO 2022 will be Sept. 13th-18th 2021 in Eureka Springs, AR

www.scoottheozarks.proboards.com

·
Registered
'14 650 ABS - Ingrid
62 Posts
Will watch this thread - my brother lives in O’Fallon, so I would join the group in Joplin for the East-bound half and then meander back to KS after the visit (Likely through the Ozarks as I have another brother in Mountain View, AR).

·
Premium Member
4,012 Posts
Is STO planning a2021 rally? I'm probably on board with that too if it happens. The wife and I got married there in Eureka Springs. Great roads.

It’s been an Annual for many years ....dampened last year by Covid-19....God Willing it should happen again.

Another good thing is that Branson considers that as Off-Season Pricing so spend a night there and have lunch in Eureka Springs.

Two years ago I did a Fly-n-Ride from Branson to Eureka Springs and it was great.

Arkansas is a two-wheelers dream.

·
Administrator
20,656 Posts
It’s been an Annual for many years ....dampened last year by Covid-19....God Willing it should happen again.

Another good thing is that Branson considers that as Off-Season Pricing so spend a night there and have lunch in Eureka Springs.

Two years ago I did a Fly-n-Ride from Branson to Eureka Springs and it was great.

Arkansas is a two-wheelers dream.
Ft Chaffey, NOT SO MUCH!!! (outside Ft Smith) Chiggers are huge.

Chiggers.jpg

Reactions: John Holbrook

·
Premium Member
4,012 Posts

·
Administrator
20,656 Posts
I flew into Ft Chaffey from Ft Gordon GA to meet my new Commander and crew. Spent 6 hours on the fort. My legs were raw for a week. DEET and soapy hot water is all you can do.

Reactions: Beermebeerme1

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Will watch this thread - my brother lives in O’Fallon, so I would join the group in Joplin for the East-bound half and then meander back to KS after the visit (Likely through the Ozarks as I have another brother in Mountain View, AR).
Great. More riders means more fun.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts