Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
Made in USA? Assembled in USA? Whats this all mean if the OWNER is in China?

"Volvo unveils its first American-made car at new South Carolina factory. Chinese-owned Volvo is now an American automaker. The Swedish brand (mostly in name only) officially opened its first U.S. factory near Charleston, S.C., where it will build the all-new 2019 S60."
But most all other US sold Volvo's are not made in USA. They come in big ships from China. My neighbor recently bought a new Volvo XC90. Data plate says "Manufactured in China".

Try to find any BIG USA named product that is not made in China.
"The new 2021 Buick crossover is expected to come to USA market in the 2020 calendar year as a 2021 model year vehicle. Production will take place at the GM Shanghai South plant in China." BUICK??

Bose Sound Systems, a big USA brand, Made in China.
My newest Sony 7.2 Home entertainment system, Made in China.
Harley Davidson, most parts are Made in China or India and shipped to USA to be put together and branded "Made in USA"

Even our beloved Burgmans are not 100% Made in Japan. If you look at a lot of the parts they were made in China.
Battery, China. But the seat strut is made by KYB in California.
So if I buy a Volvo I can take delivery of it in China and tour China then they ship it here ?
Wonder if they will take out the two Chinese chaperones/back seat drivers

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Political alliances aside, the point is that bikes built in Taiwan, such as Kymco and SYM, are a better quality than those built in China.

·
Administrator
18,919 Posts
Its now up to Uncle Fester if he wants this political bashing on a good topic to keep running.

I just do not understand you all at times.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Its now up to Uncle Fester if he wants this political bashing on a good topic to keep running.

I just do not understand you all at times.

Looks like a 270 degree crank, unlike the 360 in the burger, which won’t be quite as smooth, but will have lower crankcase pumping loss, and very deep dish pistons.... If that helps.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I really would rather talk about the mechanics then the political ramifications. The country of Taiwan is a Democracy anyway.

It's been a while since us scooter nuts in the U.S. had a new mega scooter to kick the tires of.

I'm concerned about the two belts. Looks like it may be expensive to maintain. Also 8 valves to check.

Attachments

Reactions: Rusty J

·
Administrator
18,919 Posts
Both the AN400 and AN650 have 4 valves per Cylinder so 8 total.

Can not tell what the CVT belt is made of or its service life.
The CVT looks like a flipped over Vairator type but then it feeds what looks like a wet clutch and then a reduction transmission before going to the belt drive swingarm.

AK550 left side.jpg
AK550.jpg

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
The second belt is the "compromise" for having the engine independent of the swingarm and rear suspension. You have to have something to get the motion back there...belt, chain, shaft or gears (like the 650). Belts are quiet, lightweight and require little maintenance. No idea how long it would last on this scoot, but it isn't uncommon on other bikes to get well in excess of 50K miles before changing.

·
Administrator
18,919 Posts
So, someone tell this 650 owner what the heck that blue spring is giving the rider?
And can you change the sliders/rollers?

I do like that bespoke wheel lock.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
So, someone tell this 650 owner what the heck that blue spring is giving the rider?
they come in lots of colours and change the scent of the exhaust, blueberry pie, lemon citrus...don’t you 650 guys have that? :)

The contra spring alters the ratios just like changing the weights/ramp does; it forces the belt out of that pulley to a greater or lesser extent. So partly speed/acceleration tuning but also a weak soring won’t close the pulley and change back down, too strong and you don’t get the high speed ratios,

He’s fitting a racing variator, including weights, and ideally you should always match the spring to the weights. It’s a balance thing.

They are colour code for ease of ID ... got the xxx weights?... try the yellow spring

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Another thing is the location of the rear shock. It reminds me of the Kawasaki Versy. Someone I rode with years ago purchased a Versy and said the rear suspension was hard to dial in on the bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
506 Posts
And can you change the sliders/rollers?
The contra spring and variator roller/slider weights are used to 'tune' the CVT. For the CVT to change ratios the variator rollers/slikers squeeze the belt and "pull" on it to make the rear pulley to open up. It counteracts the force generated by the variator. Have heard it explained that when trying to 'tune' this type of CVT, find the contra spring that 'downshifts' to your liking, then play with the roller/slider weights to fine tune the acceleration to you liking.

The other factor is clutch engagement and lock up RPM.

All a balancing act. Think of how you setup/tune a fuel car clutch weights and timers. ;)

·
Registered
506 Posts
Another thing is the location of the rear shock. It reminds me of the Kawasaki Versy. Someone I rode with years ago purchased a Versy and said the rear suspension was hard to dial in on the bike.
I was wondering about that rear shock arrangement. That's not overly encouraging. :confused:

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Also if you can buy a 2012 Exec with less then 4000 miles in the classified for $3500.00, it would not make sense to purchase a $9000.00 scoot not counting, taxes, dealer setup, destination charges and whatever else they can get away with. Maybe I'm just too frugal.

·
Registered
712 Posts
"The new 2021 Buick crossover is expected to come to USA market in the 2020 calendar year as a 2021 model year vehicle. Production will take place at the GM Shanghai South plant in China." BUICK??
There's nothing surprising about that. GM has been selling about 5 times as many Buicks in China as they do in the United States. China is the primary reason they saved the Buick brand, rather than Pontiac, when they reorganized in 2008.

Reactions: Dave_J

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Just a comparison. IF the AK550 will be $9000.00 in the U.S. for $1000.00 more you can purchase a 2021 Yamaha Tenere 700. 450 lb. wet weight, more power, can turn off the ABS on the rear tire from the dash. Plus supporting dealership chain. The Kymco may be hard pressed to sell here in the U.S.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Thanks for that, Uncle. On the Tenere 700, I especially like the 21 inch front wheel and 8 inch suspension travel for the potholes that proliferate here. Since I've given up on BMW (had many, all flawed) and I'm too short for KTM, the Tenere is really tempting. But the grocery handling capacity is a bit disappointing.

·
Premium Member
1,292 Posts
Just a comparison. IF the AK550 will be $9000.00 in the U.S. for $1000.00 more you can purchase a 2021 Yamaha Tenere 700. 450 lb. wet weight, more power, can turn off the ABS on the rear tire from the dash. Plus supporting dealership chain. The Kymco may be hard pressed to sell here in the U.S.
I agree with you, in general.

However ...

-- It's always been the case, I'd say, that you can seemingly get more bang for your buck with other bikes, vs. maxi-scooters. I mean, for years now you could get a Versys, or a Wee Strom, or something like that, instead of, say, a Big Burger. And you'd come out with a less expensive, lighter, and more powerful bike. I think this is why maxi-scooters have such an abysmal market share in the USA; well, that, and the perceived image of scooters' not being a "real" bike.

I say "seemingly," of course, because with the bikes that perhaps represent a better value you don't get as good weather protection, and storage, and perhaps amenities such as an electric windshield.

-- What you also don't get on more mainstream competitors is a relatively low seat height and a relatively relaxed leg position. Those are very important to me (although I am about to get a hip replacement, so maybe I'll change my tune).

To each his own, no offense meant, YMMV, etc. Me, I still wish Yammy would bring the modern, sleek, cruise-controlled T-Max to the NA continent.

41 - 60 of 77 Posts