Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
New models aren't for sale. The 2 I found on cycletrader are 2009 MY.

Hopefully the AK550 will be available, I'd be tempted. I've been told I'm a fairly "shetty" person. ;)

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
It's a great scooter though. Many, like the xciting were trying to take a bit out of the tmax sales over the years but never succeeded because they half aszed it. This is a full on clone. In fact many reviews pin it as being better. I think the tmax design lost its way vs previous gens. That snubbed nose face and rear lighting is horrific. That design team needs to be fired.
The lighting design on the ak is truly spectacular. Beautifully done. Long leds thin strips front and back like audi

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
They attract rif rafs criminal type.
That’s how The Silent Majority in America looked at all motorcycle riders in the 50’s.
Then in the 60’s Honda started advertising young healthy men and women dressed in Polo Shirts & Sweaters with big smiles:

·
Administrator
18,919 Posts
"And back to you Chet"

·
Registered
229 Posts
The look of the Kymco is sporty. Skinny little windshield, etc. But the marketing is all about touring. They need to make up their mind. If it is for touring, tell us about all the storage space and options for more. Tell us how it protects from cold and rain. Tell us about a quiet ride with no wind buffeting. Tell us how far we can go before we need fuel.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I can see the appeal but I would never buy a Chinese scooter. If they can't take pride in making the everyday things good why trust them with the big ticket items that could put your life in jeopardy...

...their commie overseers make everything with planned obsolesce in mind to keep the factories spinning. Even their appliance replacement parts fail in 6 mos.

What works well in a developing nation may not be so swell in a interstate linked countries like the US and Canada when speeds increase as does duration.

I suppose if one to look for a silver lining then good sales would inspire the Japanese big 3 to compete as well.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Kymco is in Taiwan,
their “commie overseers” don’t get to oversee them and are rather upset that the world is supporting businesses this thorn in their side.

As others said, SYM and KYMCO have been making engines and bikes for BMW and Kawasaki etc for some time. Their peripherals on their own bikes have vastly improved over the past few years.

Taiwan has Freeways/Expressways (although some restrictions on motorcycles, they must be over 550 cc).

I met one of their designers a few years ago, really nice bloke and hugely knowledgable. I learned a lot and only scratched the surface of his expertise, particularly engine stuff and ceramic bore linings.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Maybe i’ll buy another Kymco, the day they letter their bike with their real name - Kwang Yang Motor Company 😉

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Maybe i’ll buy another Kymco, the day they letter their bike with their real name - Kwang Yang Motor Company 😉
Real name?

It’s not exactly hidden, they use it all the time. It means “light Ray“ or “ray of light”, is that a problem?
BMW, BSA, AUDI etc should have written their names out in full?
Maybe some other problem with the people in this company?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Real name?

It’s not exactly hidden, they use it all the time. It means “light Ray“ or “ray of light”, is that a problem?
BMW, BSA, AUDI etc should have written their names out in full?
Maybe some other problem with the people in this company?
Lighten up Francis.
I’m just funning around.

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
Reactions: JRoss

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
If it makes you feel better I didn't get it either. I don't have any complaints about the quality of my Sanyang Motors scoot (aka SYM... although Symco would sound better). Parts are a little harder to come by but I've always been able to get what I needed. Biggest complaint is I haven't been able to find a decent service manual.

·
Administrator
18,919 Posts
Made in USA? Assembled in USA? Whats this all mean if the OWNER is in China?

"Volvo unveils its first American-made car at new South Carolina factory. Chinese-owned Volvo is now an American automaker. The Swedish brand (mostly in name only) officially opened its first U.S. factory near Charleston, S.C., where it will build the all-new 2019 S60."
But most all other US sold Volvo's are not made in USA. They come in big ships from China. My neighbor recently bought a new Volvo XC90. Data plate says "Manufactured in China".

Try to find any BIG USA named product that is not made in China.
"The new 2021 Buick crossover is expected to come to USA market in the 2020 calendar year as a 2021 model year vehicle. Production will take place at the GM Shanghai South plant in China." BUICK??

Bose Sound Systems, a big USA brand, Made in China.
My newest Sony 7.2 Home entertainment system, Made in China.
Harley Davidson, most parts are Made in China or India and shipped to USA to be put together and branded "Made in USA"

Even our beloved Burgmans are not 100% Made in Japan. If you look at a lot of the parts they were made in China.
Battery, China. But the seat strut is made by KYB in California.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
One of the first scoots they brought here around 1996 was a 150cc.heroism dual disc brakes. It was unheard of. Usually disk/drums rear

I did deliveries on it. Brake fatigue almost caught me in a head on in the rain by a shmo going the wrong way.

They've improved vastly. BUT BUT BUT
their quality is noticeably less than Japanese scoots. And you'll pay for higher price. Are they more reliable... About on par. The Japanese like the burgmans are overly sensitive. Too many sensors and such and small bad flaws.

My sym joyride ride over a year with a bad head gasket and constant filling the radiator and overheating and in the engine was hummus with oil and water. But it went. It's still here. I'm sure it needs a new head and gasket but it would run
And it did 60000km.burgman held for 60000miles and tons of headaches. So it depends. Plastic are crappie for sure over jap. Parts are not cheap. You'll have to buy from euro sellers. USA has tons and tons of Suzuki availability and sellers and online presence. Huge huge plus. Awesome knowledgeable people
Service manual for sym and kymco is half assed with little info and bad explanations. And few bought them so you'll have to do a lot of trial and error.

It's not like here when someone asks how do I get the stuck cvt cover off of the b400 and we know the 10mm exhaust bolt fits in the hole to push it off

·
Premium Member
10,477 Posts
You guys do know that Taiwan is a US ally and different to China?
yeeah, and I know Saudi Arabia is an ally, and Israel is an ally, and Russia was an ally in WW2 up till the second Japan surrendered. France was an ally until we needed to fly thru their air space, Puerto Rico is a U.S. territory and except for cashing U.S. govt checks.

OK this got political, I'm out

Reactions: JRoss

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
You guys do know that Taiwan is a US ally and different to China?
If the world were smart like Taiwan we would be in a better place. They knew who they were dealing with. They knew who China is. As soon as the virus started they fraught hard and closed their borders suffering minimal damage. The world wanted to see how much damage it would be because they didn't want the economy hurt. They wanted to see how much it would cost to execute any spread measures everyone knew of the issue they reacted slow because of money

Taiwan knew what's up
I like Taiwan. I'd buy Taiwan any day than mixed back China scooters. Those things are garbage on 2 wheels. They've tried multiple time to bring different companies here. They closed shop. Also hyosang(Korean I believe) and others. Tgb daelim . Just garbage

21 - 40 of 77 Posts