Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

241 - 250 of 250 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Suzuki Burgman 650 ABS
1,879 Posts
The cons that user mentioned, especially the brake not tied to the side stand (not the norm here nor for the vast majority of scooters I've known about) or the computer not screaming at the rider when the key fell out of his pocket, are just being very very picky and also very very sloppy. Who rides with important stuff in pockets that are not designed to hold such things in? Really!? I ALWAYS ride with armored riding pants with zippers on deep pockets and have NEVER lost anything even when I forget to zip them closed. I would expect something as important as that key fob would be more carefully carried and held onto. I do know personally of one rider I caught up to and followed for some time on the road who had just lost his cell phone from his pocket somewhere in the last several miles he was riding. But then he was wearing really loose SHORTS with shallow pockets while riding, and I don't remember if he was wearing sandals or sneakers, which is totally NOT the proper clothing to wear while riding anything with 2 wheels and a motor! What did he expect! If anyone doesn't wear the gear for the activity then they should expect certain things to not go well. Don't let EXPECTATIONS get out of proportion to reality.

PRO service needed just to change the oil filter??? REALLY??? I highly doubt it. Well, he did say "almost" but still just another nit to pick. There is ONE bottom tray to remove to get the oil filter off, but the service manual (which I downloaded from a Greek dealer website) clearly shows how to remove that. The procedure per the SM is not that difficult. The oil filter still can easily be seen under the engine without removing anything (see in photos of reviewers leaning hard into curves) but not likely able to remove it without taking off that one bottom panel. The rest of the oil change is simply one oil screen to clean (no replace needed unless damaged) and one drain plug. Both of those easy to get to without any panels removed. Not really any more difficult than changing oil on my Burgman 650. Well, actually there are a few panels to remove on my Burgman to do a proper oil change for both engine and transmission gear set and final drive which is more than sounds like on the AK 550. That guy sounds like he really doesn't know how to do much of his own maintenance very well. Even my old Gold Wing was more involved than this... but still very able to do myself so no big deal.

Edit: oh, forgot to mention. I've heard from a current USA owner that the service interval is actually more like the Burgman 650 intervals than the overseas manual show. This other owner even showed the maintenance schedule from his owner manual. Looks like if I owned one of these now I'd be doing oil and filter changes same as I do on my Burgman... which would make it around 6000 miles interval.

Mirrors only good for passing??? Not if you adjust them right. I've heard the same comments about several other bikes. Some of which I've owned and never had issues adjusting the mirrors to see what was needed.

Lack of wind protection for lower legs? While I agree that MOST scooters do very well at providing great wind protection for legs, almost every motorcycle provides LESS wind protection than it looks like the AK would.

Fuel gauge useless? Show me a motorcycle with an accurate fuel gauge and I'll show you the exception to the rule. It does sound, from certain reports of those who nit pick about it, that this fuel gauge is slightly less accurate than the norm. So this con has a little merit. But I've seen worse. The best motorcycle, or even car, fuel gauges usually show half tank or a bit less when only 1/3 tank at most has been used. Sometimes it's worse, and sometimes better. Never have I even heard of a gauge that showed accurately. I've only read a total of 2 out of dozens of reviews that mention the fuel gauge showing "red line" at roughly 1/3 tank used. I go by miles per tank anyway much more than what the gauge shows, more accurate.

Edit2: Just read that poster's other post where he stated how much was left in the tank when the fuel gauge started indicating low fuel... "5 liters in the 15 liter tank". This is totally NORMAL for almost all motorcycles I've ever owned OR known about in person. 2/3 tank left= half tank at the gauge, 1/3 tank left= almost empty at the gauge. My last 6 motorcycle did exactly this. NORMAL.

Noodoe gimmicky? Sure, and you expected something other than what is actually advertised? Sounds like this guys' expectations were beyond what he likely read on official sources about this feature. Most of the feature set I've read about would be useless to me other than the GPS navigation and analog speedo. Showing incoming phone calls or text messages might be interesting but that's it. Showing photos from my phone... totally a gimmick and nothing more.

The major point is to go in knowing what it is you're getting to begin with. Do a little research to properly set your expectations. This guy seems like he didn't do that and is now disappointed since his expectations were not entirely met. I read posts like his with a grain of salt but also simply take note of anything said compared with comments and facts offered from other more reliable sources and my own personal experience where applies.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Sometimes I do think of the possibility of a second career in a motorcycle shop... but I would be happier doing the maintenance.

Reactions: JRoss

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Just read (and watched the video) of the AK 550 from Sept 2017. The announcement was given by the Chairman of Kymco, Allen Ko. Per his words it seems the model name "AK" comes from the term "Anniversario Kymco" which they were honoring with this new (at that time) model.

KYMCO Launches AK 550 in Japan Test Ride

Reactions: BurgyBill

·
Super Moderator
12,510 Posts
If any Seattle types want a look at one IRL Seattle Cycle has one on the floor as of this writing.
I hope to give it a harder look at some point soonish, but pending that popular shot first, so a few weeks if they have it.

Reactions: Dave_J

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Did you see? Kymco has now made the European version of the AK 550 Euro 5 compliant.
The bad: fuel tank is now only 12.5 L instead of 15 to make room for a few extra parts to make it compliant and the HP was dropped to 51 bhp from 53.5... still more HP than the T-Max 560!
The good: Torque is still the same as are all other features and specs and the price is unchanged (I think).
No news on if the USA is getting these changes. But I wouldn't be surprised if the next model year for the USA does. Doesn't really matter to me that the HP dropped just a little but I don't care for the smaller tank size. It really wouldn't affect my riding however since I've never ever come close to not having enough range even for that tank size given where I've gone riding.

On another note... I commented on a video that compared the Burgman 650 and the Kymco AK 550 and the BMW C650gt. The video was WAY off on some of the specs for the Burgman 650 so I just had to comment to provide corrections. Such as top speed being UNDER 100 mph and they had no clue what the final drive is/was on the Burgman and that it has been out since 1998. I think they said it was a chain drive but I'll have to watch it again to remember. The also implied the engine on the Burgman was swing arm mounted and that it smoked some implying that it was a 2 stroke! Someone replied to my comment about the Burgman 650 no longer being in production saying that there is indeed a 2021 Burgman 650 and mentioned that there are YouTube videos about it. I looked, but could only find fan-made videos with very poor quality video showing a 2018 but talking it up as a 2021. All indications from reliable AUTHORIZED sources are missing any mention of it, including Suzuki Global. The video was also saying that all these are still available for purchase new in the USA today. NOT! Of these 3 only the AK 550 is available as a 2021 model in the USA. BMW doesn't show the C650 anywhere on their web site other in archived pages. But I did find a 2022 BMW C400gt indicated. But that still leaves only the AK 550 as the ONLY super scooter available in the 2021 model year in the USA. If you live in other countries there are more choices available. Overall that video was somewhat disturbing in that they didn't even show all 3 scooters side by side and only included some stock video of them individually on the road with only the AK 550 being present with the commentator.

Reactions: wspollack

·
Premium Member
13,013 Posts
as rare as these bikes seem to be, if i was a dealer and had one on the floor, i'd rope it off advertise, and charge admission, auction off to highest bidder in about a year or 6

·
Registered
132 Posts
I started to watch that video and turned it off when I realized that this was not a true comparison video, but a thinly, and I mean very thinly veiled AK 550 commercial from that dealer. He probably never even sat on a Burgman.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I got the same impression.

241 - 250 of 250 Posts