Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

221 - 240 of 250 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Doesn't cost anything to fantasize a little bit.
If you don't dream, you sometimes don't live. But don't let those dreams bite you.
[Edit:- Break added - see below #222]
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've tried to live my life by this philosophy - "Desiderata"- by Max Ehrmann?

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
If you don't dream, you sometimes don't live. But don't let those dreams bite you. I've tried to live my life by this philosophy - "Desiderata"- by Max Ehrmann?
^^^ mmm ... don't recognize this notion as part of Desiderata's message. ^^^

·
Premium Member
3,900 Posts

The Confused History of Desiderata
The author is Max Ehrmann, a poet and lawyer from Terre Haute, Indiana, who lived from 1872 to 1945. It has been reported that Desiderata was inspired by an urge that Ehrmann wrote about in his diary:

"I should like, if I could, to leave a humble gift -- a bit of chaste prose that had caught up some noble moods."

Around 1959, the Rev. Frederick Kates, the rector of St. Paul's Church in Baltimore, Maryland, used the poem in a collection of devotional materials he compiled for his congregation. (Some years earlier he had come across a copy of Desiderata.) At the top of the handout was the notation, "Old St. Paul's Church, Baltimore A.C. 1692." The church was founded in 1692.1

As the material was handed from one friend to another, the authorship became clouded. Copies with the "Old St. Paul's Church" notation were printed and distributed liberally in the years that followed. It is perhaps understandable that a later publisher would interpret this notation as meaning that the poem itself was found in Old St. Paul's Church, dated 1692. This notation no doubt added to the charm and historic appeal of the poem, despite the fact that the actual language in the poem suggests a more modern origin. The poem was popular prose for the "make peace, not war" movement of the 1960s.

When Adlai Stevenson died in 1965, a guest in his home found a copy of Desiderata near his bedside and discovered that Stevenson had planned to use it in his Christmas cards. The publicity that followed gave widespread fame to the poem as well as the mistaken relationship to St. Paul's Church.1

As of 1977, the rector of St. Paul's Church was not amused by the confusion. Having dealt with the confusion "40 times a week for 15 years," he was sick of it.

1This misinterpretation has only added to the confusion concerning whether or not the poem is in the public domain.

By the way, Desiderata is Latin for "Things to be Desired."

This is my favorite massaged rendition:

Reactions: wspollack

·
Premium Member
3,900 Posts
Hey, I represent that statement .....
The poem was popular prose for the "make peace, not war" movement of the 1960s.

·
Premium Member
13,013 Posts
that last thing is the most importan t in the whole group! let it malfunction and see if it aint !

·
Registered
2013 Suzuki Burgman 650 ABS
1,879 Posts
aaaannnnddd...
How about that Kymco AK 550!
It may not be the best super scooter for all styles of riding to be found in the USA over the last 5 years but it is the only NEW scooter bigger than 500cc currently available. And it does sound like it is very good at any style of riding. On the ADV forum a current USA owner has the opinion that the AK is more sport bike/scooter than cruiser bike/scooter and thinks it to be more for the commute and local riding than LD touring. I've read comments like that about most bikes smaller than the Gold Wing or Electra Glide or such. Another poster over there has the opinion that if any bike weighs this much it better have 100+ HP minimum. I don't know what he's smoking but I've owned much bigger heavier bikes than the comparatively light weight AK 550 with about the same HP/LB and had no problem ripping up the highways. I guess he needs extra power to overcome something else that is lacking... like skill maybe?

·
Administrator
20,566 Posts
Most Anti-Scooter motorcycle riders only see a small Chinese Clone that is under-powered for its weight.

And they all must have 130 HP all the time and need to buzz around in 4th gear at 11,000 RPM. They must stay at high RPM's so to be in the power band in case some Scooter rider tries to pass them.

What they do not understand is our scooters are in the right gear right now and in a milisecond of twisting the throttle, we are in the right gear right now again. We don't need to waste time thinking to downshift to put us in the power band.

In 2006 I went on a 5 day 9 western trip on my 2003 Burgman 650. I was in Montana and the speed limit was 70 MPH. But I was doing 80 MPH when I came up on two Harley riders with Washington state plates and they were doing about 65 MPH talking (YELLING) to each other.
So as I was coming up on them I locked my throttle at 70 MPH, dug the owners manual out of the right cubby, leaned back with both hands on the book, as if reading. As I went by sitting in my 'Barculounger' reading a book, I waved at them. When they gunned it to catch me, I just reached over and cranked a little more throttle, and a little more, and more. At 100 MPH they both backed off. ;)

·
Administrator
20,566 Posts

·
Registered
Burgman 650 2014
762 Posts
Well I've done a complete backflip, gone with second hand X-Max 300 2019 3,600k $7,000 (AUS$) with OEM rack and top box (+$530), couldn't bring myself to spend $13,600 (AUS$) on scooter that will most likely only be used to/from work all in 60kph zone with the off chance (back dependent) of weekend twisty ride.

Greg

·
Premium Member
1,418 Posts
Well I've done a complete backflip, gone with second hand X-Max 300 2019 3,600k $7,000 (AUS$) with OEM rack and top box (+$530), couldn't bring myself to spend $13,600 (AUS$) on scooter that will most likely only be used to/from work all in 60kph zone with the off chance (back dependent) of weekend twisty ride.

Greg
Congrats. How's the leg room?

·
Registered
Burgman 650 2014
762 Posts
From my little test ride of this 2019 Yamaha X-Max 300, better than others I've tried (eg Kymco 350/400) it does have feet fwd but for me there's not much difference probably in the twisty's it would help keep you in the seat, wider foot boards for sure my boots are in inboard not hanging off the edge :), but for me I got on rode it and nothing really was out of place hands hit the bars feet & seat all seemed right, bit slow to 40kph but I think that noise emissions thing the ex's 250 majesty was the same, but once your @ 40 it giddy ups, variator change would fix that but not planning any big changes until I have some time on it.

There tonnes of aftermarket for this model, first thing would be mirrors forward like the T-max, you can get brackets that goes under the screen to mount the mirrors and also has GPS/Camera/Phone mount above the dash, and larger screen but we'll see how I go first.

Hoping to pick it up tonight :)

Greg

·
Administrator
20,566 Posts
Greg, its a 300. You only have 1 Wombat under the seat on a treadmill.

Reactions: rjs987

·
Registered
Burgman 650 2014
762 Posts
Greg, its a 300. You only have 1 Wombat under the seat on a treadmill.
Yes Dave, X-Max 300 with 292cc single Wombat :)

·
Registered
Burgman 650 2014
762 Posts
Picked up my new (used) X-Max last night, so smooth riding to work this morning @ 60kph you almost forget it's running, Yamaha did a good job keeping single cylinder vibes to almost 0% :) such a change for B650 grumbling away beneath me @ 60kph :confused: so light you think your riding a push bike :) suspension seem pretty good, seat nicely padded you can feel it taking up some of the bumps.

Greg

·
Registered
2013 Suzuki Burgman 650 ABS
1,879 Posts
Me thinks Bob is talking himself into a chat with wifey.
This seems more and more likely... but not yet.
There is a USA owner on the ADV forum who bought theirs just a few weeks ago who keeps posting photos of his and talking about how great the ride is. He's tall and one of the first things he did was to remove the bum bumper (same as taller riders do on the Burgman). He commented in one post that he is attempting to convince more to buy the AK 550. There are a few new owners on the ADV forum and all like it.

(just trying to keep the focus of this thread on subject in spite of how nice some of the other super scooters and mid sized scooter may be... there is always the new thread "Start Discussion" option) 😁

Reactions: Dave_J

·
Premium Member
13,013 Posts
This seems more and more likely... but not yet.
There is a USA owner on the ADV forum who bought theirs just a few weeks ago who keeps posting photos of his and talking about how great the ride is. He's tall and one of the first things he did was to remove the bum bumper (same as taller riders do on the Burgman). He commented in one post that he is attempting to convince more to buy the AK 550. There are a few new owners on the ADV forum and all like it.

(just trying to keep the focus of this thread on subject in spite of how nice some of the other super scooters and mid sized scooter may be... there is always the new thread "Start Discussion" option) 😁
but I do love a good wombat discussion!! square poop, a reverse mounted pouch, 3 vaginas. what's not to love ??

221 - 240 of 250 Posts