Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

201 - 220 of 250 Posts

·
Registered
Burgman 650 2014
762 Posts
Nothing stood out re panel fitment I wasn’t scrutinising that bit of the scooter but it all looked ok.

Quick measure of inseam @ work 30-31” with my boots on and my jeans (like rjs987) 32”L and about an 1 or so to long (without boots on).

I think there “Drive Belt” is CVT belt, R @ 20,000klms & the “Timing Belt (Drive Belt)” is the final drive belt.

Greg

Reactions: rjs987 and Dave_J

·
Registered
116 Posts
Ù
The AK 550 pulleys are much closer together since there is no wheel to stretch it out to. Input and output of the CVT are much closer together.
Yes, I appreciate that. Thing is, I think that the shorter the belt, then the quicker it is likely to wear? (any one point on the belt hits the pulleys more frequently). But having said that you will need to be able to buy a replacement. If the USA sales bomb as ours did, the likely the only replacement belts will be Kymco ones. I could find lots of manufacturers of belts for my B400.
A quick search on fleabay for Kymco ak550 found one new bike, one after market polini variator(same as T-max), and ZERO other consumables. Plenty of top boxes.
As an aside, that tool holder looks like an "EasyBoost" product. I have a set for my scoot. French, and good.Google it.
They also have a vid on YouTube doing a belt change on Burgman 400.

·
Registered
2013 Suzuki Burgman 650 ABS
1,879 Posts
Reactions: wspollack

·
Registered
116 Posts
A quick search on Google brought up several places to order a CVT belt for the AK 550.
But most likely not in UK (which I am).
I am allergic to Amazon after a bad experience, and loss of cash, 4 years ago. Steered clear since.
AliExpress looks like Aladins Cave!! I've got to add on our VAT and import tax too. Thats academic because I won't be buying a Kymco.
Did you notice the attachment earlier - "howmanyleft.co.uk" say that we only have 6 AKs registered.
(And to be fair, Google did turn up one belt in UK, £59.95, but they reckoned it only fit 2017-18 models - strange?)

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Same model from the 2018 model year to now as far as I can find out. First introduced at the end of 2017. So likely the same as the 2021.

·
Administrator
20,566 Posts
At those prices for belts I'd order in 10-15 to have enough for the life of the bike.

Reactions: rjs987

·
Registered
116 Posts
It seems that possibly it is not just UK that has a backup problem - and considering GREECE has scoots in abundance - A post from Maxi-scoots.com could be worrying-

Bikes Owned: Kymco AK550 & '12 Piaggio X10 (sold). & '08 SYM GTS (sold)

Thank You
-Given: 161
-Receive: 214

Kymco AK550

WWW Email

Re: AK550 to the US!

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2020, 04:46:02 PM »

I find that the AK550 has some seriously good mechanics, suspension, breaking, etc but....

The seat is the worse I've ever owned!! If I'm going more than down the street to collect the shopping I use either gel gel pad or an AirHawk or I'll never get to sit comfortable again.

Then, there's the lack of lower body protection. Totally missing. I've tried some add-on wind deflectors but the direct sunlight pretty well cooked them off.

Then there's parts... I don't know if it's the dealer I bought it from, the local importer, or Kymco but 3 times I've needed or wanted parts and it took almost 2 months the first 2 times and I'm still waiting after almost 3 this time. So, find out, if you can, what kind of supply line they've got. If you lose one of the key-fobs you're looking at a 4 digit replacement.

I'm actually looking forward to the Forza 750 that supposed to be coming soon.

Any questions?

·
Administrator
20,566 Posts
We are coming up on the time frame where there will not be any parts for our Burgman's and at that time I will be moving on to something. NC750X DCT?
Basic repair parts that are common to other bikes will be there but just look to see if there are any complete 650's CVT out there. Two years ago you could get one for about $2300

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
The Burgman CVT is basically the final drive with a pulley in front of the rear wheel at the engine output and the driven pulley at the rear wheel hub
I get what you are saying, the belt is used to cover ground.

But:
The belt isn’t the final drive and the driven pulley is forward of the hub.
From the pulley there is shaft drive to the final drive gearbox where drive passes through final reduction gears to the axle (so technically shaft driven, but that’s another story).

in pics you can see the rear of the cvt/clutch housing isn’t centred on the wheel.

Significant for a few reasons including torque delivery and rembering to change the oil in the final drive

·
Premium Member
13,013 Posts
It seems that possibly it is not just UK that has a backup problem - and considering GREECE has scoots in abundance - A post from Maxi-scoots.com could be worrying-

Bikes Owned: Kymco AK550 & '12 Piaggio X10 (sold). & '08 SYM GTS (sold)

Thank You
-Given: 161
-Receive: 214

Kymco AK550

WWW Email

Re: AK550 to the US!

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2020, 04:46:02 PM »

I find that the AK550 has some seriously good mechanics, suspension, breaking, etc but....

The seat is the worse I've ever owned!! If I'm going more than down the street to collect the shopping I use either gel gel pad or an AirHawk or I'll never get to sit comfortable again.

Then, there's the lack of lower body protection. Totally missing. I've tried some add-on wind deflectors but the direct sunlight pretty well cooked them off.

Then there's parts... I don't know if it's the dealer I bought it from, the local importer, or Kymco but 3 times I've needed or wanted parts and it took almost 2 months the first 2 times and I'm still waiting after almost 3 this time. So, find out, if you can, what kind of supply line they've got. If you lose one of the key-fobs you're looking at a 4 digit replacement.

I'm actually looking forward to the Forza 750 that supposed to be coming soon.

Any questions?
this may be covid related with lack of production everywhere , or an indication of a shift in economies and the motorcycle changing to a cheaper smaller item,
I am curious of the back story, what 3 parts did the poster need? and over how long a time period, and when was that period.
I'm not sure which will wear out first, my butt or the zero, I AM sure, I won't be replacing any major components on it.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Looks like that message in Greece is from Sept 25, 2020. That is still within the time when so many things were, and still are, unavailable or hard to get due to the supply chain being disrupted by the Covid-19 pandemic. It remains to be seen if anything will improve much this year or even the year after. Some things have, but very little and really not the same as before 2020.

@Bluebottle , I just wasn't wanting to get too technical. I know there is a lot more to it than the simplified explanation I provided. Why I said "at the rear wheel hub" rather than that it "is" the rear wheel hub. Slight difference. Perhaps it would been better if I left the word "hub" out of the statement and just said "at the rear wheel" instead.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Just clarifying it for readers and newbies -
We had somebody mangle his bike and when asked when the final drive oil was changed replied
“ it doesn’t have one, it’s a belt final drive, rubbish design”
I think we have found the issue :)

I’ve come across several owners who believe he belt is the final drive.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I’ve come across several owners who believe the belt is the final drive.
And they allow these people to hold driving licenses?! Owners Handbook read before riding? No.....................
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
After I'd posted the Greek story, I went back and did a search for AK550 on that site. That confirmed that not many were registered prior to 2020, inUK.
The reason MAY be that folks on there reckon that the importers leave alot to be desired. Not much nice said about backup.
My local dealer still has the franchise, carries no stock. How can you sell stuff like that. Perhaps you get better customer service over the pond.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Just clarifying it for readers and newbies -
We had somebody mangle his bike and when asked when the final drive oil was changed replied
“ it doesn’t have one, it’s a belt final drive, rubbish design”
I think we have found the issue :)

I’ve come across several owners who believe he belt is the final drive.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I really like the AK 550 but reading this thread has put me off a little as has Bluebottles research material.
Likely getting a new scooter in May so will probably go for or the Honda Forza 750. Keeping the Burgman 650 though. It is at 69k miles but going strong.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I still like the AK 550, but will stay with my current Burgman since I won't be ready to let it go for some time to come. That will give some time for Kymco to establish which direction they will take the AK 550 in this country. It seems that trend is already set over the last 4 years in other countries.

·
Registered
116 Posts
That will give some time for Kymco to establish which direction they will take the AK 550 in this country. It seems that trend is already set over the last 4 years in other countries.
That is pretty much what I've been getting at. To reinforce the argument, ebay.fr has reams of stuff to fit them. Items such as exhausts, variators, V-belts (expensive! 207 euro). allsorts. (EDIT - look at the price of the final drive belt! hope it lasts well.)
But I think that Kymco have done quite well, there. So it pays aftermarket suppliers to produce. Pre- Brexit even I might have been tempted! (Not really).
If anyone wanted to look at these things, I used Firefox and installed add-on "Translate Web Page" - right click and it does it on the fly.
Kymco Toothed Belt.png

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #219
It's nice to look over all the pros and cons here and get feedback from others. Doesn't cost anything to fantasize a little bit.

201 - 220 of 250 Posts