Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long time since a "Mega" scooter was announced for the U.S.

"AK 550 has the lowest center of gravity in its class. All body components are engineered to give the vehicle a near 50/50 front to rear weight distribution for perfect balance. This strategic placement of the center of gravity provides the most solid foundation for riders to pursue its ultimate handling capability."

" AK 550’s newly designed 550cc liquid-cooled twin-cylinder DOHC 8V engine is silky smooth and highly responsive. Its 39.3KW output generates powerful acceleration as well as impressive top speed. The power delivery is tuned to suit both spirited adventure riding as well as pleasant touring. "

"AK 550 features upside-down fork front suspension with dual disc Brembo caliper brakes. It keeps the vehicle agile and steady during cornering and delivers stunning stopping power whenever needed."

Claimed Horsepower | [email protected] rpm

Claimed Torque | 41.0ft [email protected] rpm

Claimed Dry Weight | 462.9 lbs

Fuel Capacity | 3.96 gal

·
Administrator
19,947 Posts
We need all members to click the link 10 times a day so they see interest.

If it comes to USA and Canada I bet we could get a AK550USA forum going. ;)

But, $8,999 is a bit outside my budget so I'll need a bunch of you suckers to buy one NEW, take the depreciation hit and I'll buy it used in 4 years.

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Is there a CFO in the house.....let’s set up a leasing company......and order 50 a year for the next five years. First 50 people own 1/50 of said leasing company.

LeDude gets the first one and Tight Wad_J gets the 2nd 😂

Reactions: wspollack

·
Premium Member
12,495 Posts
uurp, les jus write em a check for 40 0r 50, when th bounce shecks, we hav used once avalable

Reactions: Dave_J

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How does this go? We see them released for a year or two and then they disappear. How many times have we seen that happen. Kymco is a pretty good company though. Kymco and Sym have been making scooters in Taiwan for ages. Claimed top speed is 180 kilometers an hour or aprox 110 mph.

If a 400 seems a little small for you coming from a Burgman 650 and the 650 is getting a little porky at 610 lbs this might be a option for some.

·
Premium Member
12,495 Posts
How does this go? We see them released for a year or two and then they disappear. How many times have we seen that happen. Kymco is a pretty good company though. Kymco and Sym have been making scooters in Taiwan for ages. Claimed top speed is 180 kilometers an hour or aprox 110 mph.

If a 400 seems a little small for you coming from a Burgman 650 and the 650 is getting a little porky at 610 lbs this might be a option for some.
i'd like to examine their tupperware, key switch and a few other things, but am interested

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was watching a review. The English version comes with heated grips and a tire pressure monitoring system.

Reactions: Dave_J

·
Registered
210 Posts
i'd like to examine their tupperware, key switch and a few other things, but am interested
10 years or so ago, I bought a family member a Kymco. Engine and drivetrain was stout, and the quality was as good as the big 4 from the Rising Sun, and I expected it, as they were always an engine builder.
Regarding them taking on, making the whole bike, The fit, designed fit interfaced and material quality of the plastic parts was definitely subpar, as was the electrical parts, and harness routing and connections. I told myself I would never buy one again, and would spend a little more money for the more highly engineered Japan bikes. Maybe they’ve improved the quality of the complete bike, to the level of the big 4 now. I don’t know, but doubt I’ll go there again, unless it’s a super bargain.

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
1) Looks interesting, and a real competitor to the Big Burger (and for any newbies here, I'm not a troll -- I'm on my second 650 Exec now). Certainly a competitor to the T-Max that I want, because you can't get that in North America.

2) Kudos to the Kymco, for being c. 150 lb. lighter than the 650.

3) Props also for having a 15"/15" wheel combination.

4) Anyone think it might be a little more cramped than the 650? We don't know the inseam of the rider in that video, but he never puts his feet forward (unless I missed it).

5) Anyone read what the final drive system is, e.g., belt, chain, gears ... ?

6) If they had managed to expand the tank by a measly five ounces, they could've changed "Fuel Capacity | 3.96 gal" to "Fuel Capacity | 4 gal."

EDIT: 7) Dang, no cruise control (unlike my yearned-for T-Max).

·
Registered
956 Posts
I like the look of them what does annoy me though you guys get it for $8899 over here they swap the dollar sign for a sterling sign but if they did the same price the exchange rate would make it about £6800 which is way more attractive. A Tmax or BMW C650 is £10.5k over here in England :mad:

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Yes USA always gets better prices

Kymco is the same level as sym. They made engines for BMW scoots
They made for kawasaki j300
They are a good company but it's a Taiwanese company. You see a difference between them and japanese. They offer good prices and good scooters. The ak550 is a good scooter. It's been proven now. It's been in the market for around 5 years now. Tweaked and problems fixed.
Cheap tmax... That's your scoot. The Taiwanese scoot I have is more expensive parts wise and not easy to find. I have to order from. EU which isn't bad for me. But you guys there would need to probably buy from multiple sellers.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm thinking it is about 500 lbs with fluids so about 110 lbs less than the 650. It is belt driven like the T Max. 3.96 gallons is 15 liters and so the weird capacity. I'm also thinking it will be Burgman 400 size for accommodation.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Drive line appears to be a mechanical CVT (variator w/rollers an belt) to a multiplate wet clutch, driving another belt to the rear wheel. Found a decent selection of photos here. B650ish with out the eCVT and reduction gears in the rear swing arm.

Looks narrower than a 650. Kinda short foot boards. Pillion pegs rather than foot boards. Step through doesn't look as low/deep as Burgmans.

Tempting, however for $9k I could get a new DR650 or DRZ400 and outfit it fairly well to do some ADV riding

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
I could get DR650 and outfit it fairly well to do some ADV riding.
I’m always looking for a clean used DR650 that someone has already made nice.

·
Administrator
19,947 Posts
Go to Youtube. That video on the Kimco web page is from Jun 6, 2017 and has 33,956 views.

Reactions: DarisPakar

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Size wise with width it is the b400 size a bit longer than 400
There is no valley in the middle like the burgmans. It's more angled on the ak550. We have enough ak/max around here.

A specific kind of group of people here who are drawn to these bikes. Shetty kind of people. Brash rough and many criminals. Many buy them for the status but many have no money to maintain them.

·
Registered
514 Posts
A specific kind of group of people here who are drawn to these bikes. Shetty kind of people. Brash rough and many criminals. Many buy them for the status but many have no money to maintain them.
What kinda of group of people buy and ride Burgmans? :oops:

I've noticed that 'shetty' people buy/ride all kinds of bikes.

·
Premium Member
12,495 Posts
What kinda of group of people buy and ride Burgmans? :oops:

I've noticed that 'shetty' people buy/ride all kinds of bikes.
buncha undisciplined hump scuffers! that's what kind !!:mad:

Reactions: Rusty J and JRoss

·
Administrator
19,947 Posts

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I've noticed that 'shetty' people buy/ride all kinds of bikes

That statement is true for your country only. Not here. We have a specific kind of person attracted to the tmax/ak

Do they have tmax in the USA?

1 - 20 of 77 Posts