Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
41 - 60 of 67 Posts

· Registered
103 Posts
My tent: My Vango Galaxy 300 + Helinox sunset chair in photo with a pint of ole speckled hen at Porthleven in Cornwall.
I’ve been motorcycling camping for years and have it down to a fine art , I know whats hot and whats not.
All goes on the big Burgman easily but I do not take a pillion.

Plant Plant community Tent Tarpaulin Tree

My favourite pint below , a pint of Devon Red cider by sandford orchards . This was at a camp in Boscastle Cornwall.
Bottle Liquid Drinkware Beer Sky

· Administrator
18,251 Posts
Back when I was younger I rode a Suzuki GS1100 thru western Canada. I stopped most nights at a Pub for a dinner and beer, OK BEERS and a snack.

Most times I'd ask and the Bar Keep let me pitch my tent on the back. I never stopped in big towns so always a small pub with grass in back. I start my day cleaning their parking lot of trash and find about $15 in coins and bills.

· Premium Member
884 Posts
This looks neat, covered bike plus tent. Wonder how it stores :unsure: Sleeps 2-3 adults, must be close friends, or Condo for one large man.
Folded 24" long x 11" wide x 6" height weight 14.85lbs.
or 60.96cm x 27.94cm x 15.24cm 6.73kg
Photograph Light Product Tent Font

I would consider this, planning a Tennessee trip this spring and this may work. Hotels have doubled since Covid. I have a place to stay while there :unsure:

· Administrator
18,251 Posts
My tent back then was two US Army 'Shelter Half'. Did not carry much, no cooking. I sat on stumps or whatever was close. Did have a coffee pot for boiling water for my French Press, tee or Top Raman

Reactions: SemBurg

· Premium Member
5,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Here’s a B200 Tent for $100

· Registered
103 Posts
A run down of my kit:
VANGO GALAXY 300 TENT:
This is the best tent I have ever owned for motorcycle touring.
It is a 3 person ( two comfortably ) with a whopping 5000mm rated hydrostatic head meaning you are not going to get wet. It also as powerflex aluminium poles. The vestibule you can stand up in easily.
The first time pitching you will need to clip the sleeping pod and ground sheet in place but once done they can remain in place. The only poor thing is that when its windy the sides of the tents vestibule / porch can blow inwards over the ground sheet and if wet leave a few puddles but this is easily rectified by clipping some tarp clips on the sides and using short pieces of guy line then peg them down. I also partly fold my groundsheet inwards to place muddy boots on the grass part If its really wet. The front door can also act as an awning , you just need to get yourself two cheap long enough tent poles. The beauty of this tent is that it packs up really small and weighs just 5.5 kgs and after the first time of putting up can be erected easily in 10/15 minutes solo.
Review VANGO GALAXY

SLEEPING MAT
EXPED Sim mat 7 LW.
Not cheap but packs up really small and has a built in hand pump but I use a small 12v air bed inflator. LW stands for Long Wide and the number 7 for 7cm thick. I don’t think Exped do this exact mat anymore but have replaced it with something even better. Their down feather versions are insulated down to something like minus 16 and the Sim down to about minus 7 so you are not going to get cold through the ground.
Heres a link to the 9cm version.
EXPED MAT

EXPED MAIN SITE

SLEEPING.
I use a Vango 2 Season large rectangle shape bag which I actually use as a duvet. I take a full size pillow from home and also have one of those memory foam travel neck pillows , also I take a fleece blanket which goes over me first and I pop the Exped mat inside of a silk sleeping bag liner and I always carry a hot water bottle for if it gets really cold ( rare )

SEATING.
Again expensive but I use a Helinox Sunset chair with the footprint ( birthday present ) The sunset again packs away small and is extremely light and is high off the ground and has a high back ( great for me with arthritis ). Two of mates went out and got them after sitting in mine.
HELINOX

TABLE.
A simple Spike table as seen in my photos. The two parts that go together to make the single spike snap into the back of the table when packing it away.

COOKING.
I have several stoves but always take my Trangia set with me ( 1 litre kettle + 2 pans 1 large 1 small and all goes together like Russian dolls ) I also purchased their pan drainer come chopping board that fits over the top of the pans when packing away . I have the all aluminium set, I use this with the extra gas burner rather than the meths burner ( makes life a lot easier ) I also ditched their frying pan and purchased a small non stick Tefal pan and removed the handle. Word of warning ! If you are thinking about buying their non stick set DON‘T ! Unless they have altered their non stick formula ? But the older coatings came off if mixing instant mash potato and stirring with a wooden spoon !
I also have a Coleman 533 petrol stove and a vintage Optimus Hunter 8R petrol stove but I usually leave these at home but the optimus is very small just like a jet boil and brilliant !
TRANGIA

ANCILLARIES

I use one of my Hein Gericke pannier bags with things like cutlery ,a small sharp knife, tin opener, bottle opener, small plastic spatula, mug,plate,bowl,beer glass,tea towel, towel, washing bag with usual stuff in it, first aid stuff,spray cooking oil,salt n pepper, phone charger,petzl head torch etc etc…..And most important a 4 pint plastic milk bottle for in the night !
Then I put food and drink in a carrier bag and this all fits very nicely under the Burgmans seat and I can also put quite a bit more under there like shoes and a jacket but of course you can always go out once set up to get important supplies like Cider and Beer 🍺 😈
All my equipment that doesn’t go under the seat goes into a 60 litre Lomo 100% water proof roll bag .
My tent sits on top of the bag and is secured onto the back seat of the Burgman with two Rok straps.
I have just purchased a Givi Maxia 4 V56nn top box and hope to fit it after xmas so will make life even better !

LOMO

· Premium Member
5,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Bigmc, a check mark just ain’t enough to say Thank You for such a Wonderful Post.

I’ve spent my morning reading, rereading and researching all your gear …..

How many nights do you camp a year, your typical length of stay and your longest camp ?

I recently began assembling a Chuck Box using a 50 cal. Plastic Ammo Box for my coffee making and now my wife wants to help incorporate Tea making. So now we’re working together on A Complete Camping Solution for Two.

· Registered
103 Posts
Bigmc, a check mark just ain’t enough to say Thank You for such a Wonderful Post.

I’ve spent my morning reading, rereading and researching all your gear …..

How many nights do you camp a year, your typical length of stay and your longest camp ?

I recently began assembling a Chuck Box using a 50 cal. Plastic Ammo Box for my coffee making and now my wife wants to help incorporate Tea making. So now we’re working together on A Complete Camping Solution for Two.
Hi DP many thanks for your kind words.
I have updated my post and added a couple more links.
I go away as often as I can usually for long weekends ( 3 to 4 nights ) with a motorcycle camping group between April and the end of October, we are all great buddies and have a brilliant time if not way too much booze 😈 our members travel from far and wide to meet up and its always great to see each other.
The weekend always includes a brilliant ride out led by someone with great local knowledge and sometimes we choose a campsite attached to a pub. For example The Teign ( pronounced Teen as in teenager ) House Inn at Christow is just 9 miles from my house and we are going back in June for a long weekend ( its so peaceful there and the food, beer and hosts are excellent).
The English counties of Devon ( my home county )Dorset , Somerset and Cornwall cover a very large area and are stunning so there are always new places to visit and see and we also often go further a field up to Wales and beyond.
My longest camps have been in France usually a week to ten nights.
Motorcycle camping is just brilliant, brilliant for the mind, brilliant for the body and brilliant for the soul and despite suffering from bad arthritis and fibromyalgia I will only give it up when totally forced to do so.

· Registered
2022 Matte Deep Blue Kymco AK 550
2,925 Posts
Sounds like what I do with the ST-Owners group here. I now have 5 motorcycle camping trips I go to every year. Riders from Florida to Arizona and sometimes even Canada come to ride and tell stories around the campfire.

41 - 60 of 67 Posts