Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any Tent Recommendations for the Burgman Rider ? Packing tips for transport ?

·
Super Moderator
918 Posts
Sorry.
I misread the title of the thread.

But other than that, it is a good topic anyway. I am in the market for a new tent. Trying to decide a two or three person. Like a lot of others, I recall the GP tiny we used to carry so many years ago in the Army. Trying to avoid anything that reminds of those tents in any way.

·
Premium Member
3,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL...

I’m researching the solo Cot Tents but they all seem to be about 36’’x36’’ when packed.

You just can’t count on finding hammock tie points everywhere.

The search continues ...

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I've seen others use a hammock or cot tent setup. That is true that you really need to have a few trees situated just right to use the hammock. And all cots I've seen pack large.

I use an Alps Mountaineering 2 person tent. I very much prefer any tent that has 2 cross points for the main poles at least. Much more secure in windy/stormy weather than the more common Dome tents. Not that I want to go through that kind of weather but if you camp you will at some point. Mine is a 2 person tent but there is a 3 person version as well as an outfitter 3 person that is heavier duty construction. My tent packs down to 6 inches x 20 inches. Mine has enough room for just me in my sleeping bag on a 2.75 inch self inflating mattress (Teton Sports, 25 inch wide x 72 inch long). With my mattress I don't feel the ground at all and it is well insulated. Getting older I don't get up or down as easily as I used to but I find I have no problem when I roll onto my knees and stand from there.

On Amazon the price is a bit high right now. I bought mine for $112.
https://www.amazon.com/ALPS-Mountaineering-Extreme-Person-Tent/dp/B00BF3T8W2/ref=sr_1_12?keywords=alps+mountaineering+tent&qid=1578929469&sr=8-12
The 3 person tent:
https://www.amazon.com/ALPS-Mountaineering-Extreme-3-Person-Tent/dp/B00BEST5RG/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=alps+mountaineering+extreme&qid=1578929860&sr=8-3
And the outfitter version:
https://www.amazon.com/ALPS-Mountaineering-Extreme-Outfitter-Tent/dp/B009WH1B28/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=alps+mountaineering+extreme&qid=1578929882&sr=8-2

Here are a few photos as well of my setup and how I pack it. I did also buy the "footprint" for this tent since it has a NON-rectangular floor. And that 3rd pole across the middle really increases the interior space a lot. I have not used the tarp in the last few years unless I expect some rain. Oh, and how do you like my "clothesline"? :)

I use 3 dry bags held on with Rox straps (better than bungee cords). Under the seat are food, tools, extra shoes, and misc stuff that I have found comes in handy. In the big yellow dry bag goes almost all things that go inside my tent (clothes, sleeping bag, bath kit, etc). I have a long skinny blue/black dry bag (top rear on the scoot) that holds my sleeping pad. And a smaller black dry bag for my tent and tarp and poles. I keep my tent and tarp separate from anything else since if it does rain I don't get anything else wet. Plus when I set up if it happens to be raining I can get the tarp out first without exposing anything else to the rain. Did that once in the last 18 years of camping, set up the tarp first in the rain and then set up the tent under the tarp and put everything else into it keeping it all dry thanks to the dry bags. Oh, and the white dry bag in the step through is for rain suit and extra riding gear (liners and gloves, etc).
-
BTW - NEVER keep any food/snacks/smelly stuff (other than your feet) in or very near your tent/hammock/cot tent. I did once have a raccoon try to make off with my food supply kept in a durable plastic container. It didn't want to give up trying to open it until I poked my head out of my tent and yelled at it. If that was even inside the vestibule of my tent that coon would have been in there trying for it. I'd rather not cozy up to close to a coon. So I now keep my food under the seat of my Burgman where there is a seal that (mostly) prevents it from attracting the wrong kind of tent-mates.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A big THANK YOU for taking the time to post that rjs987 .

That will be food for thought for breakfast and lunch.

Gorgeous pics of warmer days ....Thanks Again.

Reactions: rjs987

·
Administrator
18,697 Posts
Sorry.
I misread the title of the thread.

But other than that, it is a good topic anyway. I am in the market for a new tent. Trying to decide a two or three person. Like a lot of others, I recall the GP tiny we used to carry so many years ago in the Army. Trying to avoid anything that reminds of those tents in any way.

If I had a dollar for every time I helped put up an Army GP Small (hex shaped) tent..... Ahhh that smell, Creasoted canvas... 3 man carry... large center pole.

GP-SMALL.jpg

That said, my son has a few pop up 2 person tents. He was working as a timber cruisier, he would go out to a 10,000 acre tree farm and count the type and size of all trees. Most times, late spring thru early fall, he'd hike in and camp for 2 nights/3 days and get paid for 6 ea 8 hour shifts.

He had one of these below he bought from REI for about 1/2 off.

https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/product/168421/alps-mountaineering-taurus-al-2-tent

·
Premium Member
3,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Administrator
18,697 Posts
REI is not the cheapest place. As you see, $80 different price for the same tent. But my son's I got from REI as a 'Frends and Family' used in their outlet bin. $75

If you work for REI you get to use some of the product and even get paid to go camping as a review of product. Then they outlet bin the items. I have 4 neighbors that work for REI.

·
Premium Member
8,328 Posts
a good tent must fit well and set up easily in a holiday inn siute!

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
My rule of thumb is to get one more 'x-person' than will use it...for solo get a 2-person, two people 3-person, etc. That will give you room for your clothes and gear. It also helps to have a vestibule for things you want protected but don't want to bring in the tent, like wet boots. If you're tall like me, be sure to check the floor length carefully - you'll need at least 8" or so more than your height to sleep comfortably, more is better. Partly for that reason I've used primarily Big Agnes tents for backpacking, but they're pretty pricey and sometimes not so intuitive to set up. For any tent you should set it up completely at home before you leave. I'm amazed at how much I forget after a year of not setting up. Most recently I've gone back to basics and got a Eureka Suma - lightweight and quick to set up, reasonably priced. Over the years we've had good luck with Eureka tents in general.

Some other tips: Use a ground sheet under the floor, Tyvek works well, cut a few inches smaller than the floor so it doesn't catch water; seal any seams exposed to water if they aren't already factory sealed; add and use guy lines at all corners of the fly as you never know when a windstorm might pop up; reflective guy lines will help keep you from tripping over them when you're walking around at night; you can minimize your walking around at night by keeping a bottle in the tent for nature calls; I always replace the wire-type stakes with aluminum X-profile stake which holds better and is lighter; all I can think of for now...

https://eurekacamping.johnsonoutdoors.com/tents/backpacking/suma-2-person-tent

·
Premium Member
3,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great Wisdom G-Dub , any tip on a conference call from Nature ; )

·
Premium Member
3,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
695 Posts
I've seen others use a hammock or cot tent setup. That is true that you really need to have a few trees situated just right to use the hammock. And all cots I've seen pack large.

I use an Alps Mountaineering 2 person tent. I very much prefer any tent that has 2 cross points for the main poles at least. Much more secure in windy/stormy weather than the more common Dome tents. Not that I want to go through that kind of weather but if you camp you will at some point. Mine is a 2 person tent but there is a 3 person version as well as an outfitter 3 person that is heavier duty construction. My tent packs down to 6 inches x 20 inches. Mine has enough room for just me in my sleeping bag on a 2.75 inch self inflating mattress (Teton Sports, 25 inch wide x 72 inch long). With my mattress I don't feel the ground at all and it is well insulated. Getting older I don't get up or down as easily as I used to but I find I have no problem when I roll onto my knees and stand from there.

On Amazon the price is a bit high right now. I bought mine for $112.
https://www.amazon.com/ALPS-Mountaineering-Extreme-Person-Tent/dp/B00BF3T8W2/ref=sr_1_12?keywords=alps+mountaineering+tent&qid=1578929469&sr=8-12
The 3 person tent:
https://www.amazon.com/ALPS-Mountaineering-Extreme-3-Person-Tent/dp/B00BEST5RG/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=alps+mountaineering+extreme&qid=1578929860&sr=8-3
And the outfitter version:
https://www.amazon.com/ALPS-Mountaineering-Extreme-Outfitter-Tent/dp/B009WH1B28/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=alps+mountaineering+extreme&qid=1578929882&sr=8-2

Here are a few photos as well of my setup and how I pack it. I did also buy the "footprint" for this tent since it has a NON-rectangular floor. And that 3rd pole across the middle really increases the interior space a lot. I have not used the tarp in the last few years unless I expect some rain. Oh, and how do you like my "clothesline"? :)

I use 3 dry bags held on with Rox straps (better than bungee cords). Under the seat are food, tools, extra shoes, and misc stuff that I have found comes in handy. In the big yellow dry bag goes almost all things that go inside my tent (clothes, sleeping bag, bath kit, etc). I have a long skinny blue/black dry bag (top rear on the scoot) that holds my sleeping pad. And a smaller black dry bag for my tent and tarp and poles. I keep my tent and tarp separate from anything else since if it does rain I don't get anything else wet. Plus when I set up if it happens to be raining I can get the tarp out first without exposing anything else to the rain. Did that once in the last 18 years of camping, set up the tarp first in the rain and then set up the tent under the tarp and put everything else into it keeping it all dry thanks to the dry bags. Oh, and the white dry bag in the step through is for rain suit and extra riding gear (liners and gloves, etc).
-
BTW - NEVER keep any food/snacks/smelly stuff (other than your feet) in or very near your tent/hammock/cot tent. I did once have a raccoon try to make off with my food supply kept in a durable plastic container. It didn't want to give up trying to open it until I poked my head out of my tent and yelled at it. If that was even inside the vestibule of my tent that coon would have been in there trying for it. I'd rather not cozy up to close to a coon. So I now keep my food under the seat of my Burgman where there is a seal that (mostly) prevents it from attracting the wrong kind of tent-mates.
Your timing could not have been better, my friend. I have been giving serious thought to motocamping starting with this riding season. I already bought a lightweight sleeping bag and pad, and needed to start figuring out the rest, starting with the tent. THANK YOU for all the time you put into writing up this post!

·
Premium Member
8,328 Posts
Great Wisdom G-Dub , any tip on a conference call from Nature ; )
ew

, nature calls should be 2 party, private line!! just you and nature.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I fell for the common error of calling them Rox straps when they are really ROK straps. I found mine on Amazon.

As to nature calls... What mikey said.
Many I know on the motorcycle camping circuit keep an empty Gatorade bottle or a Power-Aid by another brand, both being LARGE mouth type bottles, in their tents for overnight. Just don't confuse that bottle for your morning Mountain Dew bottle! :eek

Since I always stop at the local grocery store when I arrive at camp to pick up a few snacks and food (I cook my own breakfast and some dinners and eat out while on the road riding) I also pick up a Power-Aid drink and empty that bottle while around the campfire sharing lies and other motorcycle related fibs with the group. That ensures I'll be able to refill the bottle overnight. :devil

Hey, it's all part of the camping event!

·
Registered
1,436 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have this in my Amazon cart waiting for purchase:

Looking forward to some camping this year too!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts