Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was looking last month and found a store in Las Vegas that had a 2019 Burgman 400 listed for $5999. I almost purchased a one way ticket to Vegas, but ended up buying a used 2014 locally instead.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Yes, it was a (thumper) engine vibration. Reading the latest ads about it, it says the engine is counter-balanced. Maybe it wasn't then … or maybe it is just better now.
The Suzuki M50(800cc) is counterbalanced and the vibration is TERRIBLE at 70mph and above! I would have no problems going all day at 80+mph on my Burgman 400(not sure how good this is for the engine) and certainly no problems on my Burgman 650.

After only one round trip from L.A. to S.F., I never tried to tour again on my M50(800cc) counter-balanced cruiser. The Harley 883 feels like it can do 80+mph all day(rubber mounts), but the Harley salesman said, even though it is smooth, this type of cruising would break the engine if touring on a semi-regular basis. (I'm not sure if this is true about the Burgman 400?)

I was warned about the same thing on the Suzuki M40/Savage -even though it is a 650cc engine, there was a customer that would tour on her Suzuki M40 and the top end had to be rebuilt under 30,000 miles.

So counter-balance, rubber mounting, displacement doesn't mean anything. Neither does smoothness whether rubber-mounted like the 883, displacement of M40/650cc like the B650 or counter-balanced like the B400. If the engine is not meant for high speed touring 80+mph. Don't do it if you want the engine to last long.

The only bike that I felt comfortable touring WOT all day in hot weather or cold weather was my Rebel 250. The engine was VERY smooth at all RPMs. I was approaching 30,000 miles on the Rebel 250 before it was hit in the parking lot and totaled. Otherwise, it ran great. I regularly toured at WOT at 70-to-75 mph on flat level. Only once at 80mph going down hill WOT. Engine was still in great condition closing in at 30,000 miles.

I know someone with a Honda Shadow 750 with 80,000+ miles and only changes the chain and sprocket every 15,000 because he refused to oil the chain. He drove conservatively in daily commuting in city streets and open freeway. Only commuting, with no touring.

If you ride the bike as it was meant to be used. You should get decent trouble-free miles depending on what you ride.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts