Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, Regarding the new designed 2018 vs the 2007+ Burgman 400

As an avid Burgman 400 Rider with over 100K miles on 2008, another 2008, and now a 2012, I would like to hear from anyone regarding
The purpose of this post is not to get into any details i.e. of the MPG is different or if the storage is more...... just looking at the big picture:

1) Overall Ride comparison,
2) Overall Looks and comfort comparison , and
3) Overall Purpose comparison.

What compelled me to write this I just saw /sat on a 2019 Burgman 400. I cannot comment on 1). I can comment on 2) and guess at 3)

Regarding 2) 2019 Looks cheaper, , smaller, less substantial, uncomfortable ( I have a normal butt and due to the small seat only half fit on), wonder if there is slightly less leg room, and now it looks more like its competitors.

Regarding 3) the 2019 as mentioned above now looks more like its competitors. I believe the Burgman 400 2018 should have continued to have a touring component meaning bigger more seat room for rider and passenger, Faring, windscreen, etc...

Love to hear other Burgman 400 rider thoughts...

Respectfully Doug from MA

·
Registered
5 Posts
Since I've owned 7 previous B400's...

Ride comfort is improved. Though I haven't looked at the specs, I think the front suspension travel has increased. I have yet to bottom out the forks on uneven country roads. The 15" front tire has improved high speed stability. I was certainly surprised how something that simple could help. Rear suspension feels about the same, but is a bit more compliant with better rebound.

A bit more low end power, but substantially more mid range. I wouldn't hesitate passing someone with an entry speed of 65. I've ridden to 85mph per GPS with no issues.

Though the seat and backrest are narrower, it fits me better than previous gens. Legroom is unchanged. Your butt mileage may vary.

Looks are strictly opinion. Tupperware quality is the same as is fit and finish. LED lighting has significantly improved visibility.

As with all my bikes, this one now dons a GIVI Airflow windshield...

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Maybe the suspension level on the 2018 Burgman hasn't increased but the 15 inch tire's sidewall absorbs more road bumps.

Reactions: Rusty J and Tromper

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all your responses....

Any more who have seen or ridden both

Curious what you all think,

Kind Regards Doug

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Any more who have seen or ridden both

Curious what you all think,

Kind Regards Doug

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Saw the newest model, didn't ride it. Ridden L1 thou to 100mph per GPS without issues.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I was at the dealer again a few weeks back to get some parts. Man the prices are crazy here. So I bought from the us.

Didnt pay attention too much but have only spotted 2 16+ since last year. My pov is the same as yours. Seems skimped on. The seat is too tiny and the backrest is lacking. Wrapping backrest on 7+ is more substantial and comfortable. I hate foot pegs for passengers

Id take it over the xmax(looks nice but too tall, no legroom) anyday but not over the maxsym 400 or downtown 350
Suzuki, with all due respect, are not pushing the envelope as they could

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi all, Regarding the new designed 2018 vs the 2007+ Burgman 400

As an avid Burgman 400 Rider with over 100K miles on 2008, another 2008, and now a 2012.

The purpose of this post is not to get into any details i.e. of the MPG is different or if the storage is more...... just looking at the big picture, I would like to hear from anyone regarding:
1) Overall Ride comparison,
2) Overall Looks and comfort comparison , and
3) Overall Purpose comparison.

What compelled me to write this I just saw /sat on a 2019 Burgman 400. I cannot comment on 1). I can comment on 2) and guess at 3)

Regarding 2) 2019 Looks cheaper, , smaller, less substantial, uncomfortable ( I have a normal butt and due to the small seat only half fit on), wonder if there is slightly less leg room, and now it looks more like its competitors.

Regarding 3) the 2019 as mentioned above now looks more like its competitors. I believe the Burgman 400 2018 should have continued to have a touring component meaning bigger more seat room for rider and passenger, Faring, windscreen, etc...

Love to hear other Burgman 400 rider thoughts...

Respectfully Doug from MA

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I think they didnt invest completely in the new one vs the old. The windshield is smaller but also if you look at it, its not as clear/transparent as the 07. the 07 liked to dance a lot snd created wind turbulence for some folks. It doesnt have as substantial a stance that catches attention as the older. Less storage under the seat and in front. Foot pegs I loathe vs foot platform but to each his own. 15" rims should definitely help. They should have turned the 650 into a sportier (not too much) scoot to pull some potentials from the tmax over and leave the 400 for touring like the maxsym. The seat is a bit narrower but the 07 has a stiff-ish seat. Not sure of the 18.

Still... Whats up with lack of paint colors... Geez charcoal and white

·
Premium Member
8,033 Posts
yeeaaaahhh seems like the seat is shrinking on my 15 also , seems like I used to have room for my belly on the front part and I didn't hang over the sides in the back part, now that seat is just barely wide enough to not give me a wedgie and my belly hangs down in the hump scuffing area, I think I spilled some water on it causing the shrinkage.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts