Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had an 07 and don't remember it shaking your fillings out. It's fine on the smooth pavement, but tar snakes and rough pavement is enough to make me want to sell it. What are people doing to get a softer ride?

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
the 400 also has a stiff suspension in the rear. front is decent. I would have preferred the dual shocks in rear than the single like in other scooters in that category.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Suspension is pretty basic and combined with the small wheels will accentuate every bump in the road. You can adjust the preload on the rear but do very little on the front. Even that wont improve it greatly.

·
Registered
733 Posts
If you search suspension modes or similar you'll be reading for days :)

Greg

Reactions: Dave_J

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
I had an 07 and don't remember it shaking your fillings out. It's fine on the smooth pavement, but tar snakes and rough pavement is enough to make me want to sell it. What are people doing to get a softer ride?
Is your complaint for front or rear suspension ?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Both front and rear seem too stiff. But... It does handle fine. I just don't remember the 07 having such a rough ride. Maybe I'm just old and don't remember 🤔

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
hooligan, did you have or personally service the front fork oil as well as changed or upgraded the front or rear suspension or any of its components on the 2007 ?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No, on the 07, I left the suspension all stock. It seemed fine. Never noticed it being still, it was more comfortable to ride than the 18.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Change the setting on the rear shocks to see if that improves the ride. Turn the shock barrels while the scooter is on the center stand to change it. You should be able to tell what it is set to now. The settings are numbered.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
No, on the 07, I left the suspension all stock. It seemed fine. Never noticed it being still, it was more comfortable to ride than the 18.
I believe that after so many years the oil in the front forks had broken down and thinned with the years making the front suspension softer, the same pretty well applies to the rear shocks which makes you think it had a softer suspension and ride, exactly the same will occur with your 2018. Actually if anything I found that my 2013 suspension was softer newer than was the case with my 2004 and 2009 model years.

·
Administrator
18,201 Posts
Well this is a problem seen by many. Most just live with it.

I went and spent $210 for a set of aftermarket springs/shocks. Not sure if the 2018 is the same size shock as the 2003 and 2008.

No one will have 2018 Burgman shocks listed. you will need to fib a bit. Look for shocks for a 1982 Honda CB900 or a 1982 Honda Goldwing 1100. They are 14 inches long. This is what fits my 03 and 08. See pictures below.

Progressive shock and spring.jpg Progressive Shock chart.jpg Progressive Spring chart.jpg

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I agree with @Chérie . I bought my CTX1300 the same month that it was first introduced to the USA and it only had 1 mile on the clock when I drove it away from the dealer. The shocks and struts were relatively stiff for that style bike, even for new. After the first 8000 miles the front struts, and somewhat the rear shocks also, eased up very significantly and it became IMO a rather comfortable ride. I see a little of the same happening with my 2013 Burgman 650. It had 3301 miles when I took it from the dealer and now just over 14,000 miles and the forks are improved over what they were when I first bought it. It just may take a few miles.

Oh, and YMMV :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Do... I need to ride more. Hit bumps. Maybe a nice round passenger would help? Thanks for the info😊

·
Premium Member
2,798 Posts
Do... I need to ride more. Hit bumps. Maybe a nice round passenger would help? Thanks for the info😊
All three will at the same time ....only when it’s dark.

·
Registered
62 Posts
If your experience is anything like mine, riding the bike more and “breaking in” the springs will likely just make the problem worse.

Believe it or not, I found the front suspension on my 2013 to be pretty harsh until I upgraded to stiffer fork springs and got my static sag down to about 30% of the travel (it was around 60% of travel with the stock springs). With the stock springs, my suspension was bottoming out over any large bumps, and basically running 100% of the time in the higher-rate progressive wind of the springs. I weigh 215 lbs.

IMO, the 650 is sprung too soft for any but the most svelte of rider from the factory. Static sag blows right through the lower-rate softer wind of the progressive springs.

Suspension/springs threads can be a bit like oil threads, especially with the progressive vs linear debate still going strong after many years. But for what it’s worth, I put a set of linear springs from Sonic Springs on my bike at 7500 miles, and I love them. They fixed my suspension issue with this bike. I’m happy with the stock rear shocks, but may upgrade them at some point because, why not? Farkles!

Good luck!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
All good points. Glad the stiffer springs are working out for you. I think the "break them in" theory might be more of a "get used to it". 🙂. In any case, it's a good ride. To me, seems more harsh than the 07 I put a lot of miles on. But, I'll get used to it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts