Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a 2018 400 new from the dealer. Like the majority of the people on the forum found the stock windshield left a lot to be desired. I am 6' 2" and was just getting beat to death by the wind. I could also use an inch or 2 of legroom so I may visit a local upholsterer and see about getting the seat improved in late fall. Right now my pants will cut me in half if I'm not careful. The drill at a stop sign or traffic light is stand up, yank pant legs down and continue. If anyone has any suggestions on fixing this problem I'm all ears.

I bought this to ride around the area and maybe run a few errands. I have about 1,300 miles on it. My initial impressions are plenty of power, windshield is too short and seat could be improved. I fixed the windshield problem by installing a GIVI Airflow. That was a piece of cake. It came with zero instructions. It took 30 minutes to install thanks to the advice found on this forum. I did buy the service manual which helped in figuring out where the plastic stays are located in the piece of tupperware that had to be removed. I need to figure out exactly how high to raise the adjustable piece. Experimentation is in order. I found the scooter to be relatively smooth. Yes there some vibration but all in all I found it to be minor. I'm looking forward to putting many more miles on the bike and fixing the things I don't like. It will keep me out of trouble.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Bought a 2018 400 new from the dealer. Like the majority of the people on the forum found the stock windshield left a lot to be desired. I am 6' 2" and was just getting beat to death by the wind. I could also use an inch or 2 of legroom so I may visit a local upholsterer and see about getting the seat improved in late fall. Right now my pants will cut me in half if I'm not careful. The drill at a stop sign or traffic light is stand up, yank pant legs down and continue. If anyone has any suggestions on fixing this problem I'm all ears.

I bought this to ride around the area and maybe run a few errands. I have about 1,300 miles on it. My initial impressions are plenty of power, windshield is too short and seat could be improved. I fixed the windshield problem by installing a GIVI Airflow. That was a piece of cake. It came with zero instructions. It took 30 minutes to install thanks to the advice found on this forum. I did buy the service manual which helped in figuring out where the plastic stays are located in the piece of tupperware that had to be removed. I need to figure out exactly how high to raise the adjustable piece. Experimentation is in order. I found the scooter to be relatively smooth. Yes there some vibration but all in all I found it to be minor. I'm looking forward to putting many more miles on the bike and fixing the things I don't like. It will keep me out of trouble.

View attachment 91178
Nice bike. I'm the same height and recently bought a 2018 Burgman 400 with about 11,000KM. I agree with your feedback regarding the seat and the windscreen.

I have done quite a bit of research about the two Givi option (D3115ST and the airflow AF3115) but I am still hesitating on which one to go with.
When you are sitting with the low setting, are your eyes above it? When you rise it up, are you fully protected and if yes, does the slider bother you in term of visibility?

I will be really interested to learn what your local upholsterer could do for you and at what price. Switching gear, I'm planning to replace the tires this fall and may go with the Michelin Power Pure SC. Again a tough choice between the Michelin City Grip 2 and the SC... Tough life... lol

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
That screen is interesting in that the clamps for the outer screen appear to be way down from the top of the lower screen. On the previous model the clamps are near the top. Do you find the range of adjustment to be adequate?

I'm also tall and was still getting turbulent air to the helmet even with the screen all the way up (2011 model). The top part of the lower screen is angled back, causing the upper adjustable piece to angle back more than the stationary part. I was able to heat the plastic with a heat gun to straighten it where it was all basically in a line, which really helped. Looks like that's not an issue on the new one.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
On the older models you could remove the adjustable backrest to give you an extra inch or two. Not sure on the 2018+ models. But congrats!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry for the typo... When you are sitting with the low setting, is your head above it?
I assume when you say low setting you mean the upper screen is all the way down. The answer is yes, your head is exposed. When the screen is all the way up you are looking through it. The issue with that is there is some distortion in the view. I just came back from a test ride and have it set where I am looking over the top. The turbulence is a couple inches above the helmet. I'm going to drop it 1/2 inch and see what happens. The edge of the windshield is a bit distracting. The ride got a lot quieter and I like the hand protection. I'm happy with the purchase. I just need to get things dialed in.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That screen is interesting in that the clamps for the outer screen appear to be way down from the top of the lower screen. On the previous model the clamps are near the top. Do you find the range of adjustment to be adequate?

I'm also tall and was still getting turbulent air to the helmet even with the screen all the way up (2011 model). The top part of the lower screen is angled back, causing the upper adjustable piece to angle back more than the stationary part. I was able to heat the plastic with a heat gun to straighten it where it was all basically in a line, which really helped. Looks like that's not an issue on the new one.
I don't have the outer screen all the way up but the turbulent air is at least 2 inches above my helmet. The airflow thing really works from what I can tell. It literally redirects the air. It's like a cone of silence without the glass domes. Showing my age there.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I assume when you say low setting you mean the upper screen is all the way down. The answer is yes, your head is exposed. When the screen is all the way up you are looking through it. The issue with that is there is some distortion in the view. I just came back from a test ride and have it set where I am looking over the top. The turbulence is a couple inches above the helmet. I'm going to drop it 1/2 inch and see what happens. The edge of the windshield is a bit distracting. The ride got a lot quieter and I like the hand protection. I'm happy with the purchase. I just need to get things dialed in.

Awesome, thank you. If I may ask you please, when you have the time, looking at the above picture, could you please set up your your upper screen to match the 750 mm (29.52 inches) height and let me know if you eyes are above the edge and if the protection is still good? That will really help me to chose between the 2 models. Thank you very much :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
View attachment 91179

Awesome, thank you. If I may ask you please, when you have the time, looking at the above picture, could you please set up your your upper screen to match the 750 mm (29.52 inches) height and let me know if you eyes are above the edge and if the protection is still good? That will really help me to chose between the 2 models. Thank you very much :)
This is not the airflow windshield. It's the extended height replacement. I bought the airflow specifically so I could adjust it. Their specs said I would get 9 inches of extension over the stock windshield. I raised it as high as I felt I safely could an measured again. I measured 8 1/2 inches over the stock height. This is measuring from the ground to the top of the windshield. I'm not sure how that equates in mm but there are calculators that can tell you. At max height I was looking through the windshield which I didn't like since there was some distortion. The airflow is supposed to be higher than the extended height model. It's also adjustable which is why I bought it. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had a Givi Airflow 256 on my 2013 but when it was totaled I upgraded to the 2018 they were not available from Givi yet so I went with a Clearview - WAY cheaper and super easy install - just as good as the GIVI - which by the way I still have and and still have the piece of crap worthless OEM screen would part with either for at a decent $$ if anyone is interested? :)

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
The oem for 2018 is not the same quality as the 2007+
The plaatic in the 2018 is not as clear and will yellow faster than the 2007+. The plastic on the 2007+ is almost like a helmet visor. Very clear and transparent. If ypu look through them side by aide its very apparent

Reminds me like the sym visors. Pre 2009 they were very good. You would get tiny spider web cracks after a long time of many years of use. But adter 2009 they weren't as see through transparent and they yellowed very very quickly. I dont know what the plastic is. Lexan or plexiglass but definitely a huge difference.

Whats good is the 2018 is stiffer vs the 2007+ which wobbles much more, although it is significantly larger and wider.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had a Givi Airflow 256 on my 2013 but when it was totaled I upgraded to the 2018 they were not available from Givi yet so I went with a Clearview - WAY cheaper and super easy install - just as good as the GIVI - which by the way I still have and and still have the piece of crap worthless OEM screen would part with either for at a decent $$ if anyone is interested? :)
Couldn't find a 2018 model for Clearview... Pls do you have a link?

·
Registered
13 Posts
This is not the airflow windshield. It's the extended height replacement. I bought the airflow specifically so I could adjust it. Their specs said I would get 9 inches of extension over the stock windshield. I raised it as high as I felt I safely could an measured again. I measured 8 1/2 inches over the stock height. This is measuring from the ground to the top of the windshield. I'm not sure how that equates in mm but there are calculators that can tell you. At max height I was looking through the windshield which I didn't like since there was some distortion. The airflow is supposed to be higher than the extended height model. It's also adjustable which is why I bought it. I hope this helps.
Thank you! Turns out that I will likely go with the same as yours (Givi airflows) as after using your measurement, the extended one edge will lend right in my eyes line...

·
Registered
12 Posts
On the 2018+, the back rest can be removed but leaves some open holes (2 mounting bolts and 2 stop screws to remove). I find the seat too soft on longer rides. I have added an Airhawk+Alaska sheepskin (Pillion #1) on top of the Airhawk for a little added height and to cover up the holes. It is not perfect but helps some with the legroom. Being the poster child for seats, windscreens and helmets, I may need to go the custom route on the seat at some point in the future. For the Windscreen, I opted for the OEM taller tour screen (94600-19810) + the Large Puig Clip on visor which does a fairly good job on the turbulence/wind noise. I also wear earplugs.

·
Registered
13 Posts
On the 2018+, the back rest can be removed but leaves some open holes (2 mounting bolts and 2 stop screws to remove). I find the seat too soft on longer rides. I have added an Airhawk+Alaska sheepskin (Pillion #1) on top of the Airhawk for a little added height and to cover up the holes. It is not perfect but helps some with the legroom. Being the poster child for seats, windscreens and helmets, I may need to go the custom route on the seat at some point in the future. For the Windscreen, I opted for the OEM taller tour screen (94600-19810) + the Large Puig Clip on visor which does a fairly good job on the turbulence/wind noise. I also wear earplugs.

View attachment 91198 View attachment 91199 View attachment 91200

View attachment 91201
How tall are you if I may ask and how big of a difference the Suzuki tall screen made without the Puig clip? Nice hand-guards btw :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
How tall are you if I may ask and how big of a difference the Suzuki tall screen made without the Puig clip? Nice hand-guards btw :)
I am 5'11". With the OEM touring screen I found it was an improvement over stock but not quite enough calm for me, so I added the PUIG clip on that I had from had from another bike. I find the clip-ons to be helpful for dialing in the airflow....(angle and height adjustment). I don't like to look through a screen while riding. MRA makes a clip-on visor as well. I use that on my Versys 650. The OEM touring screen is pricey but it is solidly built and actually adds an extra set of mounting bolts underneath for strength (6 vs 4). I believe the OEM touring screen is 7.5cm taller than stock.

I always wear earplugs (EAR soft Grippers) and wet my ears before inserting them. I find those earplugs really seal up well when ear canals are not symmetrical. Unfortunately, they don't make them un-corded anymore, so I just cut the cord off.

The hand guards are OEM as are the grip heaters which are quite toasty and have an integrated controller on the left grip. I had the dealer install the heated grips when I purchased. I installed the OEM guards and taller screen.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

View attachment 91198 View attachment 91199 View attachment 91200

View attachment 91201
How much leg room did you pick up when you removed the plug?

·
Registered
12 Posts
How much leg room did you pick up when you removed the plug?
≈ 0.5"-1" would be my guess....it all depends if you fill in the area--in my case, the sheepskin takes up some of the space. There is nothing under the backrest so it is a bit firm against the seat pan if you sit all the way back. Quick to try, and you can put it back on if needed. To me, the backrest should be flush in its last position but it protrudes out some, enough that I feel some vibrations through the back rest. A custom seat would be preferred in my case with some high density foam and winglets for side support. With stock, I can ride about 50 miles before the squirm sets in. The airhawk+sheepskin helps for about 200 miles, after that I am done.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts