Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey If anyone can help I’d appreciate it. I probably should’ve started here. I have searched the web extensively for instructions on how to replace side mirrors. I learned a valuable lesson, I parked my bike in my driveway on a slight incline with my wheel turned to the side. I put the kickstand down and walked away. About 20 feet away I heard a loud crash, I looked around to see my Bike laying on its side. The left side mirror broken off. It was parked on an incline and just at the right angle for it to roll forward off the kickstand. I did not set the Brake, Big mistake. I ordered a replacement mirror from partzilla and got it a few days later. In the interim I’ve been looking for instructions and can’t find anything for the current model. The wires connect up in the back of the control panel behind the speedometer etc. I’m trying to find access without tearing the whole **** front end off of it. I can find no instructions on how to do this. I’m contemplating just clipping the wires and putting new connectors midway between connectors so I don’t have to tear the whole **** bike apart getting to the clips. You never know what Tupperware you have to remove to get to something on these things. Anybody done this before? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I’ve never posted anything on here asking for help, I have only commented or assisted. Not sure how the replies go if I will get a notification? So if you would also email me I’d appreciate it. Thanks,

[email protected]

·
Administrator
18,218 Posts
The 2018 may be a bit different but look at these 2002-2012 650 'How to' from LeDude.
Handel bar cover:

The top glove box cover:

·
Registered
664 Posts
I just replaced the mirror on my 2012, which was the last of the prior generation. As Dave_J mentions, yours may be a bit different but I suspect the overall order of things is similar. LeDude's instructions gave me everything I needed to know. Was the first time I ever took all that Tupperware off, but it's actually pretty easy if you have a guide. (Make sure to keep all the fasteners straightened out --- I used a ziploc bag for each bunch.)

There was an upside to all that. After having learned how to remove the front box, I've removed it two more times to run some power cords up to where I need them (phone and heated handgrips).

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks I looked at LeDudes but I can’t find anything about what needs to come off? It shows links on what he sent me but they were not live. When I searched the video section I could not find anything relevant. If you have live links that would be great. Thanks for your help!

·
Administrator
18,218 Posts
Bob, those links to LeDudes page are active when I click on them. But maybe just go to his web pages. If the link does not work, copy and paste in your browser:

sites.google.com/site/testburgmancenter02/

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bob, those links to LeDudes page are active when I click on them. But maybe just go to his web pages. If the link does not work, copy and paste in your browser:

sites.google.com/site/testburgmancenter02/
Thanks Dave, I got them to work finally. I had to use a different browser. I appreciate your assistance!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just replaced the mirror on my 2012, which was the last of the prior generation. As Dave_J mentions, yours may be a bit different but I suspect the overall order of things is similar. LeDude's instructions gave me everything I needed to know. Was the first time I ever took all that Tupperware off, but it's actually pretty easy if you have a guide. (Make sure to keep all the fasteners straightened out --- I used a ziploc bag for each bunch.)

There was an upside to all that. After having learned how to remove the front box, I've removed it two more times to run some power cords up to where I need them (phone and heated handgrips).
Thanks for the help. It’s a great forum with a lot of good owners on here!

·
Registered
64 Posts
(Paraphrasing from the 2018 b650 service manual) Remove in this order: rear handlebar cover; front handlebar cover; front panel. These are among the easiest pieces to remove. Then: "Disconnect the left turn signal light lead wire coupler and the mirror motor lead wire coupler which is located under the combination wire. Remove the left rear view mirror by removing the three bolts. Remove the left turn signal light. Installation is the reverse order of removal."

...damocles

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow, thanks for the info. I finally Gave up. The 2018 and the previous model are totally different. I started out trying the old instructions Which are the only ones I could find in 3 days of searching, they were not the same as this. I finally improvised and did it by peeling back the rubber grommet around the mirror, taking out the three bolts, I removed the mirror then the signal indicator from the old mirror after removal. I looked for instructions for 3 days and found nothing of use. Then I decided to improvise. To get better access I took off the windscreen, I cut the wires for turn signal and motor for mirror. installed connecters midway. Put 3 bolts back, Reinstalled windscreen, I sure wish I would have got this yesterday. I need to get a service manual. It all worked out. The engineering on that is ridiculous. All they had to do was put connectors up near the mirror and this would have been a 15 minute job. Burying the connectors way back under the dash and having the mirror hardwired was insane. I’m definitely going to locate a service manual.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Glad you got it all worked out! Maybe some of the owners of 2013-18 Burgman 650s should chip in and buy LeDude a more recent model of B650 so he can take it apart and make a new website! I have the previous version, but his site has already save me hundreds of dollars in labor that I was able to do myself.

Reactions: wspollack

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah absolutely has a heckuva website. His knowledge is awesome. I would certainly chip in a few bucks.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Wow, thanks for the info. I finally Gave up
When you finally get a 2018 service manual, you will see that the job as described is much easier than what you went through. The two handlebar covers come off readily, and the front panel is almost as easy. If pushed, I would have also posted pictures from the manual. I'm sorry my post was too late to help you.

...damocles

Reactions: wspollack

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm having the exact problem. I parked on a dirt road, slight grade. Side stand down, got off to take a picture. Stand settled a little in the loose dirt and the scooter rolled forward and went down. ONLY damage was the aluminum piece that that the 3 bolts holding the assemble on, snapped. I'm getting ready to order a new assemble from Oneida Suzuki. Appears that you can't get individual parts. Check eBay, only one I could find was more expensive that a new one.
My problem also is the wiring harness. I have the cover off and the handle bar covers off, but the harness disappears waay up under the dash. I'm quite sure the easiest way is going to be to cut all the wires and splice them. I'll wait until the new one gets here and see what the wire ends look like and how long they are. And yes, I owned an 07, and this 18 is very different.

·
Registered
664 Posts
My problem also is the wiring harness. I have the cover off and the handle bar covers off, but the harness disappears waay up under the dash. I'm quite sure the easiest way is going to be to cut all the wires and splice them. I'll wait until the new one gets here and see what the wire ends look like and how long they are. And yes, I owned an 07, and this 18 is very different.
Again, mine is prior generation but I had a similar problem with the harness. I thought I was going to have to cut and splice the wires, too. However, I ended up removing the windshield and the front legshield to let in more light on the problem, got a bright spotlight behind me, and was able to find a perspective where I could sorta see what I was doing, reach my hands up in there, feel the wire connectors and disconnect them. Attaching the new ones was a little tricky, but less difficult than I had anticipated. They snap together easier than they come apart.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I think I'll be able to get up there and get them disconnected. After cutting the black cable tie, it gave me enough room to at least see them with a flashlight.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It worked OK splicing. I don’t know why they didn’t put connectors on both ends. Or hardwire to dash and connectors where you would need them to be. typical engineering.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts