Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sorry for what may be a silly question but what oil did you guys use for your final gear on 2018 model and after? The manual is quite confusing and simply refer to what seems to be the engine oil ref. i.e. 10W40 SAE...

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I dont think the 2018 is different than 2007+ but sae is just that. motor oil. I used synthetic liqui moly sae 5-40 jaso ma2 oil for that.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Pulling the clutch cover is not so easy ...
Cyberburg,does this comment mean you have taken off the plastic transmission cover and the clutch cover to complete a transmission oil change? If so what problems if any did you encounter?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I pulled off the plastic transmission cover, but so far have not been ablate pull off the clutch cover. Not sure if there is a special tool, and I did not want to ply it off because of the gasket I can see in between, but I haven't had success yet with pulling it by hand.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Sorry for what may be a silly question but what oil did you guys use for your final gear on 2018 model and after? The manual is quite confusing and simply refer to what seems to be the engine oil ref. i.e. 10W40 SAE...
The manual and my dealer tell me that 10W-40 will work fine as gear oil, but suggested that I use Bel Ray Hypoid Gear Oil 80W-90 on it. I will use that ... when I finally pull the clutch cover.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
on the rear aluminum cover where the clutch area is, there are 2 bolt holes. they are the same thread that used the exhaust bolt. take one out and use a wrench to push it in. a little on each at a time it will pull the cover off. the stupid bearing is sandwiched between the clutch bell bolt and the cover cavity that holds it. it helps support some of the clutch assembly weight in the rear.
get the 2 spaces that are on the cover and put them on the crankcase, then mount the outside gasket which is horrible to work with (should have used rubber) and then mount the cover.
make sure to number or at least mark where each crankcase bolt goes. theyre all differnt sizes. what a moron who thought of that genius idea.

I personally would not use anything but whats speced regarding the gear oil.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I pulled off the plastic transmission cover, but so far have not been ablate pull off the clutch cover. Not sure if there is a special tool, and I did not want to ply it off because of the gasket I can see in between, but I haven't had success yet with pulling it by hand.
I have two bolts in my socket case just for pulling the cover as Steel noted. It's the holes above and below where the rear axle is. I'm able to just turn them in by hand to get the cover to pop off. Another trick when reassembling is to put 3 or 4 little pieces of blue tape on the gasket and onto the outside of the cover to hold it in place. Then when the cover is on and before putting in the screws, gently pull the tape off.

Reactions: s-steel

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
on the rear aluminum cover where the clutch area is, there are 2 bolt holes. they are the same thread that used the exhaust bolt. take one out and use a wrench to push it in. a little on each at a time it will pull the cover off. the stupid bearing is sandwiched between the clutch bell bolt and the cover cavity that holds it. it helps support some of the clutch assembly weight in the rear.
get the 2 spaces that are on the cover and put them on the crankcase, then mount the outside gasket which is horrible to work with (should have used rubber) and then mount the cover.
make sure to number or at least mark where each crankcase bolt goes. theyre all differnt sizes. what a moron who thought of that genius idea.

I personally would not use anything but whats speced regarding the gear oil.
Thanks for notes. I did use a sharpie to number the bolts ... yes, they are all different sizes! Can’t wait to try the bolt trick. Sounds like the winning idea.
Just took a 900 mile trip and had a blast. This scooter is such a winner.
have a 2 day trip in the fall, and I would like to change the gear oil prior to that excursion, though I really don’t need to change it for mileage yet.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I have two bolts in my socket case just for pulling the cover as Steel noted. It's the holes above and below where the rear axle is. I'm able to just turn them in by hand to get the cover to pop off. Another trick when reassembling is to put 3 or 4 little pieces of blue tape on the gasket and onto the outside of the cover to hold it in place. Then when the cover is on and before putting in the screws, gently pull the tape off.
I like that idea, and will get the two bonus bolts to perform this task.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks for notes. I did use a sharpie to number the bolts ... yes, they are all different sizes! Can’t wait to try the bolt trick. Sounds like the winning idea.
Just took a 900 mile trip and had a blast. This scooter is such a winner.
have a 2 day trip in the fall, and I would like to change the gear oil prior to that excursion, though I really don’t need to change it for mileage yet.
Please could you take a picture of where these two holes are located and post them? Regarding the fairing removal, it would be great if someone could make a short video on how to do it :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Alright, did the 12,000 KM service including the gear oil change. Thanks Cyberburg for the pictures, it was really helpful. I ended up untightening the left foot board to create more slack to remove part #3. The toughest part was to take the aluminium cover off... I will get those famous bonus bolts next time. I ended up using synthetic 10W40 for both the engine and the gear oil as advised in the manual. I used to own a Yamaha Tmax 530 and I have to say that Suzuki is better overall including their fairings and rivets.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts