Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Earlier this year, I turned the bike on to warm it up, when it started it sounded like a tractor, didn't think anything of it, shut it down, wait a few min, start again, it was normal, tried to ride it, F1 light went on, parked it and left it alone, hoping the problem would go away, and it did, like 6 months later, I didn't have time to ride in this covid-19 time, decided to bring it to the shop, of course I decided to go to a Yamaha dealer bc I know the ppl there and I know they work on all bikes, but the new guys don't want to touch anything without the manual, so I got a manual up to 2016, which is almost the same as the 2017, has like a 100+ pages extra, anyways, they had it for a month and didn't do anything, I decided to take it back, called a tow truck that never came and decided to see if I could ride it back home, it started fine, I test ride it for a bit and it rode, no issues, nada!馃ぉ About 2.5 miles towards home engine begins to knock again, sounded like not enough gas was going in, I throttled it a bit and it went, I shut down about 3 or 4 times that day, was ready to give up, if it didn't start and ride I was going to wait for the tow, surprisingly, it started and I rode back home, since then, it hasn't had any issues, no F1 light, no weird sounds, nothing, took long rides daily, and nothing! This past week I decided to go on vacation, rode in the rain, (nothing new for the Bergman) when I made to destination, the sound started again, luckely I had a trailer, loaded it and went to PA, for to PA rode all week no problems, last day, rode 3 miles and it made the same sound again and that was it! So, the original code called for the pulley position sensor, that was given to me from the shop that did absolutely nothing.

Parts changed recently
Pulley position sensor today
CVT air filter today
Spark plugs today
Oils were done 3 weeks ago
Main oil
Transmission oil
Gear oil

If I throttle it a bit, I smell fresh gas
Spark plug, pps, cvt filter change did nothing.

Can someone help me out with this?

I will try to post a link with video

Administrator
007, I deleted the 2 copies of the same post.

Now one of the first things I check is to see if both sparkplug coils are down tight. It is a common issue.

Premium Member
give us a little more info . like what are the Idle rpm's ? no more FI ight? does it sound the same cold and warmed up? You mentioned gas smell, can you tell where on the bike it is coming from? How old is the gas currently in it and does it have a stabiizer in it ? probably a stupid question but I didn't see air filter on that list , Does wifey have snarkey expression on face when you go out to ride?

Registered
Sounds like it went onto one cylinder. Start the bike and once you get it warmed a little spray water onto each header pipe to see if one of the cylinders is not firing. As DJ says could be a badly fitted stick coil or one is failing. Good a place as any to start

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
spark plugs were both changed yester 11.10.20, i would assume that that would,ve fixed it, but at this point it didn't,
here's the link to what i am getting, link will take you to my google photos, there are videos as well

pics and videos

coil packs looked ok when i did the plugs, and it was the same sound, before and after

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
007, I deleted the 2 copies of the same post.

Now one of the first things I check is to see if both sparkplug coils are down tight. It is a common issue.
was not sure if it posted the first few times was doing it on the phone, thank you

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like it went onto one cylinder. Start the bike and once you get it warmed a little spray water onto each header pipe to see if one of the cylinders is not firing. As DJ says could be a badly fitted stick coil or one is failing. Good a place as any to start
coils were never touched until 11.10.20.

Registered
1 cylinder not firing going by the video.
:(. Check all the connections to the coil sticks. Get a plug and ground it and spin the engine see if you get a spark on both coils. Has anything been done to the engine that may affect the timing valve clearances etc?

Registered
Well start to see if you have spark on both coil sticks. What's the mileage? Valve clearances are at 14k miles.

Registered
For sure. Only 1 cylinder is working. You can pull off one plug wire. If it runs the same, that鈥檚 your dead cylinder. If it won鈥檛 start or run, then that was your only working cylinder.

Administrator
Word of CAUTION. The ECM converts 12 volts to 80 volts * to fire the two coils.
Then the coils fire at about 50,000 volts and that will knock you to your knees or worse.

So DO NOT do a "Running Balance" test where you pull one sparkplug wire off till you find the dead cylinder.

* Capacitive Discharge Ignition (CDI)
"A capacitor discharge ignition works by passing an electrical current over a capacitor. This type of ignition builds up a charge quickly. A CDI ignition starts by generating a charge and storing it up before sending it out to the spark plug in order to ignite the engine. "

Registered
I should put a 鈥淒ave J- WARNING 鈥 sticker with my posts, especially when I divulge the motor oil I run 馃槀

I used to reach between scorching hot headers on my race cars and pull plug wires, but I sometimes forget my suggestions might be a bit risky for the average burger rider.

If doing while running, Use gloves for sure, and don鈥檛 touch anything else with your other hand, or body. Remember, electricity always needs a path in, and a path out.

Premium Member
I should put a 鈥淒ave J- WARNING 鈥 sticker with my posts, especially when I divulge the motor oil I run 馃槀

I used to reach between scorching hot headers on my race cars and pull plug wires, but I sometimes forget my suggestions might be a bit risky for the average burger rider.

If doing while running, Use gloves for sure, and don鈥檛 touch anything else with your other hand, or body. Remember, electricity always needs a path in, and a path out.
yup and sometimes it pushes out some soft brown calories on it's path thru!

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
Well start to see if you have spark on both coil sticks. What's the mileage? Valve clearances are at 14k miles.
what is valve clearance?
cant the coil pack be tested by hooking up to the ohms meter, if connection is good, then its good, and if no connection then i have a problem.

Registered
Easy check if you don't want to fling water up at your exhaust header: get an infrared remote thermometer from the imported tools store that rhymes with Barber Hate. Start the engine, let it run a litte while, then point the thermometer at at each header and you'll know which one isn't working.

Remove and reinstall that coil pack, just to see if the problem was that it wasn't installed correctly. Remove and check the spark plug on that cylinder for cleanliness, wear, and proper gap while you're in there.

If it still misses on one side, swap the coil packs between the cylinders, crank it up and use the IR thermometer to see if it's now the other side that won't fire. If so, you've found the fault.

Registered
what is valve clearance?
cant the coil pack be tested by hooking up to the ohms meter, if connection is good, then its good, and if no connection then i have a problem.
Valve clearances are the small gap between the cam lobes and valve bucket when the engine is at TDC. It allows the valves to close fully so full compression is obtained. Very important to ensure these are correct or you could burn out a valve. It will also cause poor running when hot.
As per stick coils yes you can bench test but it doesnt always show a fault as they can fail under load causing misfires etc. I prefer to do both bench test and then check for spark by grounding the plug on the cylinder head and spin the engine as this checks the connections as well.

Registered
what is valve clearance?
No. An ohm meter only shows you DC resistance using a very low voltage. It can potentially show a coil is bad, but can not determine if a coil is good. Many bad coils have defects in the magnet wire insulation that only internally shorts to an adjacent winding when the voltage passes over a certain arcing voltage.

Just do one of the 2 tests we鈥檝e suggested.

Registered
I wonder if Dave knows this from first-hand knowledge. Let us know if you experienced a wonderful feeling such as you've described. 馃榿
I'm going with a hard yes. Inquiring minds would like to know which makes you dance and speak in tongues more, a coil ignition or magneto? I do have first-hand knowledge what it feels like to get bit by an aircraft mag (luckily it was only the impulse coupling as I was attempting to determine the compression stroke of a clapped out old PA-23 in A&P school and the upper plug lead was close enough to my hand to let me know it still worked) because some knot head had wired the mag switch backwards...馃が

it goes something like this...馃榿

...and this at 2:41 馃榿

1 - 20 of 30 Posts