Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been riding Suzuki's since 1979, and the build quality was always top notch, until now. I cant believe that the engineers at Suzuki would design a glove box hinge as weak as the ones on the 2017 Burgman. The day I bought the bike, it was the first thing I noticed. The right hinge especially was SO weak, that I didnt think it would last a year. Well, it did. A year and two weeks exactly. That's two weeks after my warranty expired of course.

It appears that the entire top Tupperware will have to be removed to even get to the hinges. Not only that, but nothing on the Internet that I can find even shows the hinges. The hinges are curved plastic arms that "somehow" connect deep inside. Knowing how long and heavy that glove box door is, there was no excuse for the Engineers to build such a flimsy set of hinges. I only hope that they redesign the hinges for all the ones that will break, because if they dont, us owners will face the same problem over and over.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
@wvburg
What scoot is this about? I know you mention "Burgman" and "2017" but not the model. 200? 400? 650?

On my 2005 B650 I did have a hing break and also a latch fail (but not break). The latches on that model were not really designed well either and sometimes would let the small glove box doors open. I don't remember what I did with the latch but I did "fix" it to stay shut unless I intentionally opened it. The latches on the 2013 + B650 seem much better. Plastic is plastic. So any part made of plastic is worth being careful with to avoid the inevitable plastic stress break.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited by Moderator)
I understand that, but I though SUZUKI should know, which is why I posted it there. Seems posting an issue to Suzuki and the public should be OK. The scoot is a 650.

·
Administrator
17,677 Posts
EDIT:
But, as far as we know Suzuki does not read this Forum page "Feedback to Suzuki". It was a wish of the original Forum Owner, GreenGoose, that we could get Suzuki to have a share of this forum. Worldwide, BURGMANUSA is the largest forum for Burgmans and as far as any of us know, Suzuik has NEVER EVER been on the forum except as maybe an unregistered visitor. They give 'Diddly Squat' on what we want.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if most of this bike is made by Kymco. They have the capability of (our idea of) a world class company but generally cheapen some things to keep it at a price point. Heck, a lot of companies do this. We get the short end of the stick, hinge, whatever. I wish it we're better too.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
...Suzuik has NEVER EVER been on the forum except as maybe an unregistered visitor. They give 'Diddly Squat' on what we want.
Rightly or wrongly, I don’t really see how it would be in their interest to set themselves up for the hostility and circular arguments that technical explanation or sharing of knowledge elicits on public forums.

Every “ insider” that I know either stays away from public forums completely or remains anonymous and is vague about their speciality thanks to bitter experience.

Maybe this isn’t the place to expand on that and derail the OPs thread but I wanted to point out that there is another side to the story.

Plus USA and U.K. are pretty much just afterthoughts in terms of marketplace.

·
Administrator
17,677 Posts
Bluebottle, there were two posts above that were deleted. One reason was the OP copied and posted the same post in 3 different pages. I had merged the 3 and deleted some of the copies and got carried away.
But you are 1000% correct. If you are an expert in your field and there is a forum about it, do NOT enter into comments or get ready to get sod slung. ;)

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
@wvburg
What scoot is this about? I know you mention "Burgman" and "2017" but not the model. 200? 400? 650?
On my 2005 B650 I did have a hing break ...The latches on the 2013 + B650 seem much better. Plastic is plastic...
It is odd that they seem to have got it right on the 400 but not various 650’s. They both have “hidden hinges”.

I could be wrong but I’ve heard lots of 650 owners having hinge problems but I can’t recall a single 400 owner. I’ve certainly never seen one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts