Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the Burgman group, but wondering if there is any interest in a GIANT gathering of scoots in one centralized location (midwest?), or smaller regional get togethers (western, southern, eastern, etc?). There are a LOT of beautiful areas to ride to in the USA.

The Harley folks go to Sturgis, I went to Spearfish, SD with the Honda NT and ST guys last summer, and I'm sure there are BMW, GoldWing, and other groups that meet up around the country. Why not Burgman's? Or, ANY scooters?

There's plenty of time to plan and schedule this fall and winter. Any interest? Has this been done before? Do rider's usually camp or stay in hotels?

I would be interested in riding up to 1,000 miles from New Mexico for a rally.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
I would go to national and regional rallies. No fees and reasonable motel room rates, please

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here's some IDEAS for regional rally's. Since I am only familiar with western USA, I will only make suggestions for these areas. One of them might be also be suitable for a BIG National get together, too. Or, maybe not.

Some criteria I thought important were: 1. great roads for rides, 2. beautiful scenery, 3. good climate, 4. affordable camping and hotels, 5. friendly to motorcycles and riders, and 6. within a few days ride for most riders.

If you know of areas in YOUR part of the country that meet most of those, then please MAKE SUGGESTIONS! Make it worthwhile for riders to travel to your suggested location!

My suggestions:

Flagstaff, Arizona (Grand Canyon, Sedona, etc)
Reno, Nevada (Lake Tahoe, Sierra Mountains, etc)
Jackson, Wyoming (Yellowstone National Park, Grand Tetons, etc)
Springfield, Missouri (Ozarks, Branson, etc)
San Diego, California (Highway 1 coast highway, etc)
Durango, Colorado (Silverton, Telluride, Mesa Verde NP, etc)
Spearfish, South Dakota (Mt. Rushmore, Devil's Tower, etc)

Remember, these are just IDEAS, what locations can you think of?
Would your ideas work out better in spring, summer, or fall?

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
Just keep watching the Rallys & Gatherings thread
for activities to be posted. There are several things
that come up every year.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
I think Durango and Jackson may not meet the affordable motels criteria. I passed thru Durango in August, Super8 $99 and I would guess Jackson would be higher.

Eureka Springs AR or some other small towns in the Ozarks. Central location.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just checked: KOA in Durango currently has tent sites for 25.95 a day, kamping kabins for 50.95 a day. Of course, there are always campgrounds in state or national parks at a less expensive rate of about 10.00 a day.

I have found that the more popular areas usually do cost a bit more.

Eureka Springs has GREAT roads and is well located for a National gathering. How about camping or motels there? Could they accomodate lots of Burgman riders? What time of year would be best weather?

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
Eureka Springs has GREAT roads and is well located for a National gathering. How about camping or motels there? Could they accomodate lots of Burgman riders? What time of year would be best weather?
There has been a scooter rally in Eureka Springs every year
for the last 25 plus years.
Started by some Honda Helix riders over 20 years ago...for
about the last 5 years it is the STO Rally...
Scootin' The Ozarks....
Check some of the older threads for information about this...
Lots of good motels, & a couple of campgrounds.
Was there myself, each year from '05 to '11.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
It is a tourist town, there are plenty of motels and I have not been there for several years but the rates were reasonable. I know of two campgrounds/RV parks in town and a Corp of Engineers campground outside of town. I would guess there are others.

I would suggest June. There have been a scooter rallies there for a long time and there is still one there currently. They have always been in August and it can be very hot there in August. I do not know why they never moved it to another month with cooler temps. Maybe one of the current rally organizers can tell us why and give us some additional info.

Since you are more than likely unaware of the history of the rallies there, you may what to search the old posts here on BUSA. Just search Eureka Springs and I am sure will get a lot of info. I sum it up as there have been some difference of opinions about the rallies there.

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
The rallys in years back were in August...
the STO Rally has always been in Sept...
usually cooler weather, & a good time
for Fall color change.

·
Registered
515 Posts
As far as trying to plan a national rally , it seems to be a nightmare as far as I can tell.

I rode a New Triumph Bonneville for several years and we had two big rally's per year. One in Maggie Valley , NC and one on the west coast. Both were attended by between 50 and 70 riders. The activities were very loosely planned and mostly fun. Costs were low by design and the rally's are usually driven by a few hard core who eventually get fed up with the complaints and leave it to someone else. I was part of the core group for many years and as the rally grew it got to be a PITA >

I belong to the BMWMOA , they have an annual rally that moves around from one region to the other in different zones and is at a new location every year. The attendance is between 4000 and 10,000 riders . The complaining about this that and the other thing is a hoot to read about. It starts way before the rally every year.

They can be fun as far as I am concerned , but I do not like group rides or organized activities. I prefer the social side of bench racing at the motel in the evening myself.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think Louisville, KY would be a great rally location for a mid west maxi scoot rally. I have actually been toying with the same idea......
its very central to all these cities indianapolis, cincinnatti, nashville, st louis, columbus oh, lexington ky. all are within a couple hundred miles away, and then you have chicago, and a few other places a little further away, i think it could create a large turnout...... also i live in louisville too :)

·
Registered
515 Posts
Another consideration is the time of year and the local weather where the rally is being held. Too hot, too cold, too wet, too far, not far enough :confused:

Typically National sized rally's are held in the summer months to get the best attendance and the least amount of blow back from the proposed attendees.
My experience with the national rally's is that you can rarely please many/all the people who may or may not come.

You need a space large enough to accomodate a larger crowd than you anticipate , yet still provide a profit center for whom ever you rent the space from.

Then there is the vendor dilema, :confused: invite them , don't invite them , insure them and the rally attendees from potential damages and law suits.

Crikey it's a huge undertaking ;)
but many will still step up and volunteer to help out and you can have a great time.:D

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Scooting the Ozarks has already been mentioned a couple of times. The next rally is Sept 10-13, 2014 in Eureka Springs, Arkansas. A link to their website:

http://scoottheozarks.proboards.com/

Namaste'
Doug in Kentucky

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
I think Louisville, KY would be a great rally location for a mid west maxi scoot rally. I have actually been toying with the same idea......
its very central to all these cities indianapolis, cincinnatti, nashville, st louis, columbus oh, lexington ky. all are within a couple hundred miles away, and then you have chicago, and a few other places a little further away, i think it could create a large turnout...... also i live in louisville too :)
Wow.......us out on the west coast sure don't think of Louisville, KY as a mid west location. ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
well i guess its technically either one of the northernmost Southern cities or as one of the southernmost Northern cities in the United States.
either way it would be a good central location for all the major cities i listed.

·
Registered
25 Posts
scooray

Here's some IDEAS for regional rally's. Since I am only familiar with western USA, I will only make suggestions for these areas. One of them might be also be suitable for a BIG National get together, too. Or, maybe not.

Some criteria I thought important were: 1. great roads for rides, 2. beautiful scenery, 3. good climate, 4. affordable camping and hotels, 5. friendly to motorcycles and riders, and 6. within a few days ride for most riders.

If you know of areas in YOUR part of the country that meet most of those, then please MAKE SUGGESTIONS! Make it worthwhile for riders to travel to your suggested location!

My suggestions:

Flagstaff, Arizona (Grand Canyon, Sedona, etc)
Reno, Nevada (Lake Tahoe, Sierra Mountains, etc)
Jackson, Wyoming (Yellowstone National Park, Grand Tetons, etc)
Springfield, Missouri (Ozarks, Branson, etc)
San Diego, California (Highway 1 coast highway, etc)
Durango, Colorado (Silverton, Telluride, Mesa Verde NP, etc)
Spearfish, South Dakota (Mt. Rushmore, Devil's Tower, etc)

Remember, these are just IDEAS, what locations can you think of?
Would your ideas work out better in spring, summer, or fall?
I would sure be interested in the Jackson, Wyoming ride. Yellowstone, Tetons, Wow:happy11: what great riding.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
http://amerivespa.org/

The biggest scooter rally I know of is Amerivespa. I went to this year's and there was about 750 participants or so.

It's geared towards smaller bikes (ie no freeway rides), but plenty of Burgmans make their way to the events Maybe there could be maxi scoot ride included in next years rally.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I'm new to the Burgman group, but wondering if there is any interest in a GIANT gathering of scoots in one centralized location (midwest?), or smaller regional get togethers (western, southern, eastern, etc?). There are a LOT of beautiful areas to ride to in the USA.

The Harley folks go to Sturgis, I went to Spearfish, SD with the Honda NT and ST guys last summer, and I'm sure there are BMW, GoldWing, and other groups that meet up around the country. Why not Burgman's? Or, ANY scooters?

There's plenty of time to plan and schedule this fall and winter. Any interest? Has this been done before? Do rider's usually camp or stay in hotels?

I would be interested in riding up to 1,000 miles from New Mexico for a rally.
just like the movie...you build it, they will come.....ten years ago I when to Ark. And had a great time, and still have some on my FB...

·
Registered
71 Posts
We would love to have you guys attend the 3rd annual " Scootnashville Blue vs Gray Rally " here in Nashville,TN on June the 6th - 8th. There will be more details coming on our website www.scootnashville.com and if you are ever in Nashville we meet every Tuesday evening and every Saturday morning , check the website for details.

Another event you might check out being held in Missouri this summer can be found here - http://maxi-scoots.com/scoot/index.php?topic=5540.0

Dan

1 - 20 of 20 Posts