Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a used 2014 burgman 650 abs, 18k one owner, he said he did the maintenance in time but i just want to make sure everything is working fine so what maintenance should i do first? First time rider.
I call a mechanic about full maintenance and he said $900, i mean I don't anything about bikes but it seems a lot. Pls what maintenance should i do.
My friend rode the bike and he said everything is good.
Pls let me know, and i live in Portland Oregon if someone know a good mechanic.
Thanks guys

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Take the VIN # to a Suzuki Shop and see what they can pull up as to service history and recalls.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just bought a used 2014 burgman 650 abs, 18k one owner, he said he did the maintenance in time but i just want to make sure everything is working fine so what maintenance should i do first? First time rider.
I call a mechanic about full maintenance and he said $900, i mean I don't anything about bikes but it seems a lot. Pls what maintenance should i do.
My friend rode the bike and he said everything is good.
Pls let me know, and i live in Portland Oregon if someone know a good mechanic.
Thanks guys
Thank you

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Welcome here @Beninellal7
Did the previous owner provide some service records to show what they did and at what mileage?
Do you have the owners manual?

I don't remember if the maintenance schedule is shown in the owners manual since I really never look at mine any more. I have an official service manual and only refer to that. If you can find the maintenance schedule chart I would recommend the 14,500 mile maintenance items. Mostly that is changing oil, oil filter, transmission oil (not CVT but a gear set behind the clutch), and final drive oil. CVT filter should likely be checked. There is NO oil in the CVT so nothing to check there. The service manual does indicate a valve clearance check (more complicated) is called for at that mileage and also the coolant should likely be replaced. Also inspect the brake pads just to be sure (should be plenty of pad left but...). You may also want to inspect the air filter.

Last time I did a valve clearance check there was nothing needed to adjust so it ended up being an exercise in opening up the top of the engine and reassembling it. A little complicated but wasn't hard for me.

That price does sound a bit high to me but I do a lot of my own maintenance like what I mentioned above. I think the last time I had the shop do all that kind of stuff I paid about half of that. What I don't do myself I have the Suzuki shop do for me (I take the wheels in to let them change the rubbers and they do any major maintenance other than mentioned above). I have a sticky thread in the Burgman 650 2013 to current for doing all the oil/filter changes. These are all done on the left side of the scoot with only a few bottom panels to remove to do them all. I wouldn't think any more than these things need to be done at the most just to be sure they have been done unless there are service records to show when they were last done. The next service interval is 18,000 miles (is the same as the 4000 miles service) interval and includes only engine oil change per the manual. In my service manual I extended the mile indications in the service chart out to 98,500 miles. I'm anal in that way, but am very lax in doing all the recommended service on schedule since some of it I do ongoing every time I ride (brake fluid level check and throttle operation check and brake operation checks, etc.).

Oh, and also do as Daris mentioned to verify that stuff.

·
Administrator
17,424 Posts
If you were a bit closer I'd ride down and give you a hand on doing these services. I will be in Salem OR Wen-Mon this week but may be busy doing Carpentry/Plumbing/wiring work.

·
Premium Member
7,434 Posts
and don't forget the emergency seat release mod. not important right now, but when you lock your keys under the seat, it will be more appreciated than a fresh roll of toilet paper on a crappy day!

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Was that just on the US models? I have a 14 plate not had any recalls UK model
No, it was a worldwide recall for anyone with that same 650 motor which I gather was also used in other Suzuki products as well. From what I was told, they subcontract the manufacture of the tappets/cams and the wrong metallurgy was used (hardness) and on some it was causing excessive cam wear. I'd check with your local Suzuki dealer and have the serial number of your bike handy and see what they say.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Alas my 14 engine is wrapped in a dust sheet in the workshop and the bike has an 06 engine in it. Long story. On here somewhere if you are bored

1 - 13 of 13 Posts