Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone heard news of a redesigned Burgman 400 for 2014? Saw something on a French site
but no details were given.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Just rumours for now, but it maybe a twin cylinder to compete with the Honda SW-T 400 (SilverWing-Twin) that is in Europe but not the UK. There is also a SW-T 600, again not released in the UK as we still have the older 600 model.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks - I hope that rumor pans out. First saw the Honda 400 twin on the Honda France
website a few years back, and the updated SW on Honda's site in Japan. Our choices in the
U.S. are even more limited than yours in the UK. No Suzuki scooter at all below 400cc,
while Honda goes straight from 150 to 600cc with nothing in between.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I would love a 2-cyl 400 Burgie, as long as it was as easy to fix as my '08, NOT complex like the *ahem* 650...

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
I think it is a bit more than a roomer now
Suzuki staff themselves have acknowledged a new 400 will follow after the 650.

Intersestingly one of BMW's sub-contractors has let slip that a 400cc BMW scoot is in planning.

Thats a dilemna I'd like to get into :tongue1:

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
As a long time proponent of KISS, I hope they keep it as a single cylinder. What would be gained from an additional cylinder other than it sounds better and it would be smoother at takeoff and very slow speeds? Another cylinder would cost more to produce, probably use more fuel and there is more potential for failure with so many more parts. I would rather have the choice of a single cylinder with the 400 and a twin cylinder with the 650.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
They can gain more hp to slightly increase top speed and add a push at higher mph. But adding another cylinder imo makes sense only beyond 450-470 cc.
The thumper sound is not bad at all, just a matter of tastes

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
Advantages of a twin 400cc? Maybe smoother acceleration, more HP, less vibration at all speeds, lower RPMs at speed, quieter and less engine wear? Disadvantages? Hmmm, I don't really care. :wink:

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Way back when..............Honda had the 305 Dream with 2 cylinders and it was smooth and FAST.............!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Registered
338 Posts
I could be interested-----but 50,000 min. drive line lasting, better wind management, no adjust valves, solid mount engine, better weight balance (less rear bias), solid engine mount would reduce unsprung weight of rear eng/drive train but not having engine go up and down on each bump-----should inprove handling-------but remember 500 cc TMAX (had one) was total sales flop in US market....and.....TMAX with 30-40,000 miles could be expensive to own. Had SilverWing 600, too, cheaper to own than TMAX-----Burgman 400, mine, 25,000 miles, warranty just ran out---I see no expensive problems other than another belt and probably worn front pulley and rollers.
Bye bye soon or at 40,000 miles.
BUT 2013 @ near $7900 in US---a upgraded twin might be even more!! Weak dollar.

I use scooter or motorcycle as transport/fun/allround but to most in US they are toy...

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
The beauty of the 400 is that it is a single. I can't see any advantage in making it a twin, it isn't big enough.

Yes, you would get more hp but you would get less torque and it is the wide torque curve that allows the 400 Burg to punch above its weight. Somebody put a lot of thought into it.

There is a superb interaction of torque and HP on the 400 that it is ideally suited to a cvt auto where you don't have gears to keep RPM in the HP sweet spot.
The extra HP of a twin would have to be compromised to make up for the lack of torque or it would be be less flexible and sluggish.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Have to agree on single---but let's have easy adjust valves (see Helix), Not black wheels!! Even though Most of my miles of over 1.5 million have been on bikes, first scooter purchase, Sears Vespa 125 1967---Since-I have always since then had scooter at least on side lines---like the dry feet thing.

Comment: based on purchase of at least 10 NEW Maxiscooters since 1990-----I think this type of basic CVT works best with 250cc or less---now near 300,000 miles with these, 175,000 on 4 Helix 250---get into over 250, both SilverWing 600 and Burman 400 seem to have same problems, lots of town riding=jerking, crappy slow speed power take up!! All Helix were smooth as well as ReFlex(probably better scooter than Helix but harder to find TDC for valve adjustment in Motel parking lot!). Note: Suzuki 250cc SkyWave Scooter in Japan was able to outrun my company 883 Sportster Freeway toll gate to toll gate. My 883 was a real paint shaker, not fast, Sky Wave 250 was faster, maybe 80-85mph----you decide on Harley----that is why with super scooter (like TMAX) they get upset as you move by----all they can do is make more noise.

Add to new 400 Burgman: cheap to buy (Car Prices)Spin On OIL FILTER.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Way back when..............Honda had the 305 Dream with 2 cylinders and it was smooth and FAST.............!! :thumbup: :thumbup:
Waaay back when ('74-'75 ?), Honda had a 350 4 cylinder. My 250 Suki (2-stroke) could beat it. It (the Honda) was smooth though.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
The problem with multipot engines is that you have to rev it higher to get same level of torque. They usually have better top end though, but SW 400 acceleration off the line is not impressive, to say the least.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I could be interested-----but 50,000 min. drive line lasting, better wind management, no adjust valves, solid mount engine, better weight balance (less rear bias), solid engine mount would reduce unsprung weight of rear eng/drive train but not having engine go up and down on each bump-----should inprove handling-------but remember 500 cc TMAX (had one) was total sales flop in US market....and.....TMAX with 30-40,000 miles could be expensive to own. Had SilverWing 600, too, cheaper to own than TMAX-----Burgman 400, mine, 25,000 miles, warranty just ran out---I see no expensive problems other than another belt and probably worn front pulley and rollers.
Bye bye soon or at 40,000 miles.
BUT 2013 @ near $7900 in US---a upgraded twin might be even more!! Weak dollar.

I use scooter or motorcycle as transport/fun/allround but to most in US they are toy...

I realize this post is from march but, what do you have against the tmax? I have always loved the look of them but never owned one.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts