Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in my opinion, the new parking brake on the 2013 650 is hideous when it is in the applied position. This breaks up the clean lines of the Tupperware. Why couldn't they leave the parking brake where it was?

·
Registered
175 Posts
I like the new parking brake location.

·
Super Moderator
2,368 Posts
The location seemed great. Even more usable on steep hills than the old location. Aesthetically..can't say I disagree, or agree really since I didn't give it that much thought.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I don't think either application will win any design awards. I do like the 2013+ version, though, because it's much easier for me to reach, and I feel like I have less chance of tipping over accidentally.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Well Cal being me don't have my bergman yet I may be way wrong on this so any help would be good . Are you folks just using Parking brake just on hill and stuff ? Me being a life long florida boy and don't know any thing about hills lol . Yes its real flat :cool:

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Well Cal being me don't have my bergman yet I may be way wrong on this so any help would be good . Are you folks just using Parking brake just on hill and stuff ? Me being a life long florida boy and don't know any thing about hills lol . Yes its real flat :cool:
The parking brake makes a nice little theft deturant. It's hard to find if you don't know its there and most bikers don't know about it, at least in the USA. So hard to steal a bike with its brakes on. :D

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Yes it's one of the things I don't like on the new 650. My legs are a bit large and I'm right handed so the old setup is the best.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
The parking brake is more effective if you pull the rear brake lever on the handlebar first and keep it pulled while setting the parking brake. I do that in my cars, too.

With the new parking brake on the left side, you can't do that.
Maybe Suzuki did it intentionally, because it's somehow bad for the brake caliper and/or the hand brake mechanism?

P.S: I also pull the left brake lever while releasing the hand brake, because I feel it disengages easier that way, again something I do in my cars as well.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
The parking brake is more effective if you pull the rear brake lever on the handlebar first and keep it pulled while setting the parking brake. I do that in my cars, too.

With the new parking brake on the left side, you can't do that.
Maybe Suzuki did it intentionally, because it's somehow bad for the brake caliper and/or the hand brake mechanism?

P.S: I also pull the left brake lever while releasing the hand brake, because I feel it disengages easier that way, again something I do in my cars as well.
Good tip, I didn't know that. Thanks.

·
Registered
132 Posts
The parking brake makes a nice little theft deturant. It's hard to find if you don't know its there and most bikers don't know about it, at least in the USA. So hard to steal a bike with its brakes on. :D

Ok good to know thanks :hello2::cool:

·
Registered
630 Posts
I'm in the brake lever-then-parking-brake camp. I honestly think the new team was determined to put their stamp on the new burg and change everything, even if it worked well. Visually, it looks awful, but at least we got floating rotors in return. :angel10:

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have no problem with the appearance of the brake lever. It seemed a little awkward at first but now it feels just right.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Okay, I've been off a Burgman for about 2 years, and just picked my 2013 650 today, much to my joy!

I'm not happy with the new brake lever placement. I'm sure I'll get used to, but it feels awkard. I wish they'd left it alone. Just sayin'. ;)

·
Registered
352 Posts
For those of us in the "400 Club," could someone post pictures of the '12 and '13 parking brake handles? :confused:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Everyone who has a 13 and newer 650 should know how to release pressure on the parking brake from the rear, as I had a '13 lock up last year and would have been in trouble on the road if I hadn't been able to release tension and carry on with my trip. The assembly was replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
573 Posts

This is the 2013. You can see the brake lever just below the seat.

This is the 2012. No brake handle is visible, because it's on the other side up under the dash.

It's hard to see up under the dash. The handle is black, and so is the tuperware on all color Burgmans.

Since the Burgman doesn't have a traditional transmission, it can roll easy (it's in neutral when stoped). I always use the parking brake, even when it's flat.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts