Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
18,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry but not a new 2013 Burgman. :D Got ya.

At my local Walmart. Mobil 1 0W40 in a 5 quart jug is $24.97 USD. Rotella T6 5W40 in a 4 quart jug is $19.97 USD. That's the same price per quart. I have not seen Mobil 1 so cheap. I will try this 0W and see how it works.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Dave_J said:
Sorry but not a new 2013 Burgman. :D Got ya.

At my local Walmart. Mobil 1 0W40 in a 5 quart jug is $24.97 USD. Rotella T6 5W40 in a 4 quart jug is $19.97 USD. That's the same price per quart. I have not seen Mobil 1 so cheap. I will try this 0W and see how it works.
Are you sure this oil meets Suzuki specs for the Burgman 650? If I remember correctly we need oil designed for use with a wet clutch. Per the manual on my 2012 650 it says to use oil that meets API Services JASO MA2.

I think Mobil 1 makes a motorcycle oil that meets this criteria but the auto oil does not. I did find an oil that does meet Suzuki specs, It's called Valvoline Motorcycle oil SAE 10W-40. Guess where I bought it? Walmart! In the motorcycle section. Some of the Walmart stores stop selling it. I bought their left over stock for $5/quart. It can still be found at some of the Walmart stores.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I use the Rotella also. Seems to do well. But I got it on sale last time for $12.97 for 4 qt jug. When I change my oil I also change it in the transmission (which is the same stuff) and I change it in the differential which is 90w gear lube. I am TRYING to take care of this thing anyway. :wink:

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I remember emailing Mobil Oil a while back asking if their new (at that time) 0W40 was ok in a wet clutch application. They responded back with "no"....I should use their "motorcycle specific" oil (at twice the price naturally).

·
Administrator
18,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have decided to NOT take the chance and return it for some 5W40 Rotella T6. That stuff I know for sure is OK even before they got the Japanese Motorcycle rating.

So disregard this post. :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
I use Mobile 1 10-40 "high mile" formula in all of our bikes, including the wife's Burgy 400. It's not the high MPG formula, but the one for high mileage vehicles. I have used it for years in my ZRX. Works great - and is highly recommended but lot's of cycle folk. Does not have the additives that can cause issues with wet clutches. Wallys has the best prices, but is is not at all stores.

·
Registered
12 Posts
@Darkknight1: I put the high mileage Mobil1 10w40 in my 650 and wonder if that was a good idea. The API SN, SM and SL designation is on the oil container. Having a wet clutch, would that cause a problem for the clutch?

·
Registered
12 Posts
What is even more fascinating is that Mobil1 high mileage 10w-40 API: SM, SN and SL oil could be used on my 650. I came to this conclusion after reading http://www.motorcycleanchor.com/motorcycle/how_to/mc_oil.html. At the bottom of the page is this quote: BRANDS CHANGING OIL SPECS UNNOTICED
Several of the Japanese motorcycle manufacturers sell their own "house" brand of oil through their dealer networks. In some cases, these house brands have recently been reformulated to API SJ and/or API SL, which may not be compatible with your motorcycle (specifically, if your motorcycle engine calls for API SH or earlier, such as an API SF/SG rating). Suzuki brand motor oil is a perfect example; their standard 10w40 formulation recently changed from being API SF/SG to being an API SL-rated oil, which is thus unsuitable for most older bikes, and even some of Suzuki's newest models (such those which are air-cooled and/or air-oil cooled - such as '00 - '05 Bandit 600, and '98 - '05 Katana 600 & 750 engines).

So if Suzuki changed their API to SL, why would it make a difference in a AN650 wet clutch to use a API SL rated Mobil1 10w-40 high mileage synthetic oil?

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
According to the API, SF and SG became obsolete in 1988 and 1993 respectively. If the oil rating also says JASO MA on the bottle/jug, then one knows it's wet clutch safe to use. If it doesn't say JASO MA, it may not be wet clutch safe to use. If it's not wet clutch safe to use, damage to the wet clutch does not occur overnight but rather over time/miles. How long that time/miles is.....who knows? :dontknow:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts