Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok all you 2013 Burgman 650 owners.. I have a 2012 Burgman 650 and need an honest opinion. I have the chance to sell my 2012 and buy the 2013. The only reason I am thinking about this is because of the reduction in the engine braking on the 2013 vs 2012.

How much of a difference is there between the two? The 2012 of course jerks you neck and causes whiplash. Is it solely worth it to purchase a 2013 for that reason only.

Please be honest as its going to cost my about 2,000 more versus keeping my 2012.

·
Premium Member
655 Posts
Ok all you 2013 Burgman 650 owners.. I have a 2012 Burgman 650 and need an honest opinion. I have the chance to sell my 2012 and buy the 2013. The only reason I am thinking about this is because of the reduction in the engine braking on the 2013 vs 2012.

How much of a difference is there between the two? The 2012 of course jerks you neck and causes whiplash. Is it solely worth it to purchase a 2013 for that reason only.

Please be honest as its going to cost my about 2,000 more versus keeping my 2012.
IT IS WORTH IT! tHE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE BIKES IS LIKE CHALK AND CHEESE.

·
Premium Member
655 Posts
So KIWI Dave I would say you are going to be riding one soon?
Yes probably November, a white one, mainly for the reasons you have given but also to design a new side case rack.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts

That is a question only you can answer. Take one out for a test ride.

·
Registered
66 Posts
How many miles on your '12? If you have gotten some use from it $2000 for a new one is the best trade in value you will ever get.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
So, is it true to the saying "You can get the new Burgman in any color as long as it is WHITE?"

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
The 2012 of course jerks you neck and causes whiplash. /QUOTE]

I've seen this written about quite often. My 09 sure doesn't do it unless you have slowed down to 10 mph & then throttle up. I know to just ease back into the throttle at that speed. The better mpg of the 13 over my 09 is what I see as a plus. ;) I've only had my 09 for 4 months so I'm not looking right now. Maybe in a couple more years when there are some used 13's I may look to move on. For now I'm very :D with my 09 Exc.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Sitting right next to the '13 I bought was a brand new '12 I could have got for almost 3000.00 less. For me it was well worth the difference. For instance I just came in from doing my routine check the fluids, air pressure, etc. While I was at it I cleaned the wheels. Wiped with a cloth and they look brand new. On the centerstand it took no effort at all to rotate the back wheel and wipe it off. If that would have been my '09 I would still be out there cussing those wheels for being so hard to clean and still look like crap. Then I would have come in and coated myself with Ben Gay...........

·
Registered
2 Posts

personally i just learned how to use the throttle to keep the RPMs up as i slow and therefore do not consider going into debt again for some marginal imaginary improvement such as you describe. Using the throttle when downshifting allows me to control the smoothness and speed of coming to a stop. thanks JCP

·
Premium Member
655 Posts
I can tell you, after more than a few years of personal experience there is a lot more to the new 2013 model than just an imaginary or marginal improvement!

·
Registered
243 Posts
I can't say about the 2012, my last one was an '11, but the '13 is way better overall. Takes some extra effort to remove the body panels, (more plastic tabs, less screws), but once you know how, it's not too bad. I can't say for sure, but I feel that the new design mirrors provide more view of the rear and less view of my hands. Then there's the little things like the re-positioned power outlet and the removable trunk liner. I carry a lot of junk at times and it's nice to just take out the trunk mat and shake out the dirt.

Reactions: BurgyBill

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
If I had a 2012 I would not consider taking the hit to buy a 2013. I know there are very real and tangible improvements both in economy and 'smoothness' BUT that depreciation hit alone buys a **** of a lot of fuel AND I have mastered that art of riding a 650 and the engine braking is not an issue for me (although I do accept that my 2010 is potentially a lot more 'twitchy' than my 2004).

I really wonder why Suzuki cannot just do a dealer software update to sort this out.

Reactions: BurgyBill

·
Registered
66 Posts
But based on the real depreciation hits you will take on a 650 Burgman, $2,000 is about the least you will ever see. It comes down to how much you have ridden your 2012 and if you have racked up a few miles it might actually be a good investment. If you have not put many miles on it, that wont change the reality but might make it pretty expensive per mile.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
I really wonder why Suzuki cannot just do a dealer software update to sort this out.
As far as I can tell the controllers they use are not flash reprogrammable hence the Burgman ECM Update Kit 99103-11232 AN650K7 ISC which has a replacement controller. Motorcycles are way behind the modern automobile technology wise.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Yes probably November, a white one, mainly for the reasons you have given but also to design a new side case rack.
So Dave, are you saying that Suzuki NZ are bringing in some of the 2013's? I ask as I thought that Suzuki had no plans to bring in any, as there are still plenty of 2012's inventory sitting unsold. If I'm misinformed then which dealers are taking delivery of any 2013's.

·
Premium Member
655 Posts
So Dave, are you saying that Suzuki NZ are bringing in some of the 2013's? I ask as I thought that Suzuki had no plans to bring in any, as there are still plenty of 2012's inventory sitting unsold. If I'm misinformed then which dealers are taking delivery of any 2013's.
I don't think there is that many of the old bike around unsold. Suzuki have bought 3 into the country and one is being used as a press bike. It will be in Auckland later this week. They are bringing in another 6 in late October.

They are not the exec nor the standard model but a mixture of both. They come with the electric screen and mirrors along with pillion back rest. Talk to your local Suzuki dealer about getting one from Suzuki NZ, One phone call from my local dealer sorted it.

·
Registered
426 Posts
If you can get more details on the specs, that would be useful... I see there is a new/demo 2012 (AN650L2) for sale discounted down to NZ$13K up in Auckland. Dave if I'd realised you were in Whakatane, I would have tried to look up when I was last back in NZ travelling round and staying with family and friends scattered round the Nth Is. Akld, Tga, Opotiki, Gissy, Hastings, Wgtn. Covered 10k km in 3 months on my 650 Exec.

Maybe next time.

Tossing up between the AN650L3 or 650GT... still undecided.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I posted to the link below... It's possible to work out the quirks on the '09-'12.

http://burgmanusa.com/forums/15-burgman-650/57250-how-smooth-13-burgman-650-a.html

Once you get it worked out, it seems pointless to try to work out any quirks on a new Burgman '13. At 30+k, you will either trade it in or chances are go through an elaborate process to fix your CVT.

However, I have no problems with other members on this forum taking the first steps toward the new Burgman '13. If it can consistently go 100,000mi without an elaborate CVT rebuild, not rattle before shimmed.. then indeed it is the "Next Generation Burgman" replacement. It will take time for members on this forum to get 50,000+mi on the new Burgmans, but I'm willing to wait and seem what the verdict is within the next few years :D

·
Premium Member
655 Posts
If you can get more details on the specs, that would be useful... I see there is a new/demo 2012 (AN650L2) for sale discounted down to NZ$13K up in Auckland. Dave if I'd realised you were in Whakatane, I would have tried to look up when I was last back in NZ travelling round and staying with family and friends scattered round the Nth Is. Akld, Tga, Opotiki, Gissy, Hastings, Wgtn. Covered 10k km in 3 months on my 650 Exec.

Maybe next time.

Tossing up between the AN650L3 or 650GT... still undecided.
The specs for the NZ model is the same as the US model except we have 3 colors to choose from.;) Specs here: http://www.ridermagazine.com/top-stories/2013-suzuki-burgman-650-abs-first-ride.htm/

1 - 20 of 38 Posts