Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My clock doesn't keep the correct time. Every 10-14 days I lose a minute. After a few weeks the clock is way off and I must adjust it.

The bike is covered under warranty. Is this something I should get fixed? My burg 400 had a similar dash layout including the clock but I never had to adjust it except for daylight savings time.

Will the dealer need to pull the entire dash? Any advice or comments is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Try switching the display to Temperature - that's what I did. There's a clock on the GPS.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 2013 models do not allow me to switch the click readout. The dash resembles the burg 400 on the new models. I'm stuck with the faulty clock display.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Clocks

The 2013 models do not allow me to switch the click readout. The dash resembles the burg 400 on the new models. I'm stuck with the faulty clock display.
I have a 2012 650. I never liked the digital clock. I leave it on temperature and purchased an analog watch/clock I mounted on the right side mirror. Very happy with it. I got it on the internet from www.clocks4bikes.com

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dealer says I will need an entire new dash display. Probably several hours of labor and an expensive part. I'll certainly get this done under warranty.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I wouldn't sweat a clock on my scooter that is off by a minute every 2 weeks. If it was a new $10K Rolex, then for sure. I'm surprised that the dealer would replace it for something like that. They must love you at that shop.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wouldn't sweat a clock on my scooter that is off by a minute every 2 weeks. If it was a new $10K Rolex, then for sure. I'm surprised that the dealer would replace it for something like that. They must love you at that shop.:rolleyes:

Well The problem is quite annoying and why live with it when it is a defect? And the clock loses 10 minutes every 2 weeks these days so the problem could be getting worse.

Dealer wants the bike for 7-10 days to prove I have the problem and replace the dash. I will wait for winter (we have 4 weeks of cold weather/cooler weather) and lose the bike for 10 days.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
azccj I don't understand why you would be surprised that the dealer would replace a defective part on a new scooter. I would expect no less from a major dealer if they want to stay in business. It may not be a $10K Rolex but it's a $10K Burgman and it is under warranty. :rolleyes:

Well The problem is quite annoying and why live with it when it is a defect? And the clock loses 10 minutes every 2 weeks these days so the problem could be getting worse.

Dealer wants the bike for 7-10 days to prove I have the problem and replace the dash. I will wait for winter (we have 4 weeks of cold weather/cooler weather) and lose the bike for 10 days.
I agree 100% with you Burgmanmaniac. Who knows what else may be wrong with the dash unit. I would definitely want to have it checked out.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Why would you use a faulty clock if the bike is under warranty?
I would say buy a cheap clock if you were going to pay the replacement cost of the whole instrument panel...
Goodluck and keep us posted!

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Why would you use a faulty clock if the bike is under warranty?
I would say buy a cheap clock if you were going to pay the replacement cost of the whole instrument panel...
Goodluck and keep us posted!
The dealer insists he be able to DOCUMENT the loss of time/malfunction of the clock. This creates an issue because the time loss is about 10 minutes over 2 weeks. Hence, i may lose my bike for 3 weeks just to get it covered under warranty.

It could easily be a temporary loss of power or an electrical glitch as well which means another week at the dealership if the new dash doesn't solve the problem.

·
Registered
348 Posts
The B650 is an expensive $11g watch with a motorcycle/scooter attached so the clock/watch has to be changed :D

·
Registered
175 Posts

Your original post said your clock is off a minute every 10-14 days. Now it's 10 minutes every two weeks. If that's the case then get it replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Your original post said your clock is off a minute every 10-14 days. Now it's 10 minutes every two weeks. If that's the case then get it replaced under warranty.
I agree, if that is in fact the case, however I would never give up my bike for that long for a repair (unless it was a CVT ). Otherwise I'd spend my time worrying about Ebola or Isis or...something.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I agree, if that is in fact the case, however I would never give up my bike for that long for a repair (unless it was a CVT ). Otherwise I'd spend my time worrying about Ebola or Isis or...something.
I understand not wanting to give your bike up for repairs. But with a problem in the dash(clock)that could progress into something bad down the road. I would want to have it taken care of while the bike is under warranty. There's a lot of electronics in the dash unit. I have more than one scooter so it's easy for me to give up one to be sure everything right before the warranty expires. If I only had one scooter I may have to give it some thought.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Sounds like the dealer is worth the effort... sure it's a loss of 2-3 weeks depending, for the OP, but at least the dealer hasn't fobbed off the complaint. Unlike some dealers round the traps who'd display some of the same attitude that some posters have displayed here 'it's only a clock'. FWIW and IMO I'd want the problem remedied too, to my satisfaction. Who knows what else the fault might include, now or in the future.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Sounds like the dealer is worth the effort... sure it's a loss of 2-3 weeks depending, for the OP, but at least the dealer hasn't fobbed off the complaint. Unlike some dealers round the traps who'd display some of the same attitude that some posters have displayed here 'it's only a clock'. FWIW and IMO I'd want the problem remedied too, to my satisfaction. Who knows what else the fault might include, now or in the future.
Also something to consider... Where is the clock on the Burgman get it's timing from? The clock itself or from the bike? What does a clock not timing itself properly indicate. If I had this problem and my bike was still under warranty I would insist that my dealer troubleshoot the problem and fix it. Never had a bike with a clock built in before this bike but I always insist that anything that comes with a vehicle I have bought new works properly.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Also something to consider... Where is the clock on the Burgman get it's timing from? The clock itself or from the bike? What does a clock not timing itself properly indicate. If I had this problem and my bike was still under warranty I would insist that my dealer troubleshoot the problem and fix it. Never had a bike with a clock built in before this bike but I always insist that anything that comes with a vehicle I have bought new works properly.
I reset the clock 3 days ago and so far it is keeping perfect time. I will watch it closely over the next 2-3 weeks.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I Reset the clock on 10/08/14. Eleven days later the clock has NOT lost any time whatsoever.

My conclusion is that the bike must have had a temporary loss of battery power. Perhaps, this occurred at the 600 mile service while at the dealership?

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
I Reset the clock on 10/08/14. Eleven days later the clock has NOT lost any time whatsoever.

My conclusion is that the bike must have had a temporary loss of battery power. Perhaps, this occurred at the 600 mile service while at the dealership?
Absolutely. They disconnect the battery before working on the engine, just so there's no chance that a stray screwdriver will short something out or bridge the starter relay. Standard safety precaution.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts