Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done or heard of anyone replacing the clutch or the transmission from an older 650 executive with a 2013 one??? I am looking for any and all information on this subject.

Thank you

·
Premium Member
14,227 Posts
Not that I have heard of.

The CVT should work with no problem. The part number for the 2013 is the same number as the updated number listed for older models, 21000-10832.

The clutch is also likely to be a direct swap. There is no part number for the whole clutch assembly but if you match the individual item part numbers many of them are the same. That leads me to believe you could probably just replace all the items with different part numbers and the clutch would function like the 2013.

If you want to compare the parts this link will get you to the fiche for the 2013 clutch http://www.partshark.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=3469411&category=Scooters&make=SUZUKI&year=2013&fveh=164144.

This one will get you to the fiche for older models.
http://www.partshark.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=434604&category=Scooters&make=SUZUKI&year=2006&fveh=10159

·
Administrator
18,332 Posts
For the most part, I would think Suzuki would make changes to the ECM and not to hard parts. So I'd say they did not change the CVT. The clutch is controlled by the CVT's output speed so if the 2013's clutch operates differently then there must be a change to the weights or plates.

What year Burgman you wanting to swap parts on?

·
Premium Member
14,227 Posts
The clutch is controlled by the CVT's output speed so if the 2013's clutch operates differently then there must be a change to the weights or plates.
The difference seems to be the drive plates 21441-24F00 and 24452-10G10. These have been changed to 21441-26J00 and 21452-26J00 respectively. No changes to the weights or other parts of the actuating mechanism that I can find from looking at the parts fiche.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the info. I've got a 2008 650 and was looking into the possibility of putting on 2013 cvt for less engine drag (braking) and better mileage. At least that's what Suzuki advertises. What do you think???

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
In addition to the clutch changes, I think the 2013/14s are tuned differently from the older models. The 2013s RPMs are quicker to move up and down and over a wider range than the older models.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Another significant change is the decreasing the minimum RPM threshold from 3000 to 2700-2800 RPM, so you can ride with less RPM in town.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I'm not a mechanic, but I am (for now, anyway) disappointed to find that the "final drive" on the 2013 AN650 (Formerly known as the Executive) now has a "belt" drive rather then the "geared" drive of the older Model 650's. I don't know how much trouble it will be to replace a belt, but servicing the gear drive was easy enough for me to do. (Using the Shop Manual for guidance.)

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
I'm not a mechanic, but I am (for now, anyway) disappointed to find that the "final drive" on the 2013 AN650 (Formerly known as the Executive) now has a "belt" drive rather then the "geared" drive of the older Model 650's - snipped -
Not sure where you gained this inaccurate impression, you have probably been reading an official Suzuki website - maybe they should include a 'cautionary note - beware we build bikes, we do not do proof reading'.;)

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Thanks for all the info. I've got a 2008 650 and was looking into the possibility of putting on 2013 cvt for less engine drag (braking) and better mileage. At least that's what Suzuki advertises. What do you think???
What it would cost in parts & labor to do, you could never recoup in fuel savings. ;)

·
Premium Member
14,227 Posts
I think you should be looking at other things besides changing out the CVT. From what I can tell the mileage and drag improvements come from changes in the clutch, the cylinder head and the mapping in the ECM.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Did Suzi change the reduction ratio of the "transmission" (the reduction gears after the clutch and before the final drive)? Or does the clutch make the same number of revs per mile that it always has?

·
Premium Member
14,227 Posts
Did Suzi change the reduction ratio of the "transmission" (the reduction gears after the clutch and before the final drive)? Or does the clutch make the same number of revs per mile that it always has?

Nope no changes to the reduction gears or to any of the various gear ratios. Only thing they changed along those lines was the mapping in the ECM that controls how fast the CVT up shifts.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I thought that was what the UP/DOWN buttons were for ;-) I've been riding my K4 in manual mode most of the time, going into automatic mode over 45mph (50mph indicated, 45mph true) when it seems to give slightly lower RPM than manual mode.

I sure wish that I could have access to the code in those two computers. Tinker ... test ... tweak ... repeat.

·
Administrator
18,332 Posts
I sure wish that I could have access to the code in those two computers. Tinker ... test ... tweak ... repeat.
I know of a ECM code breaker that does Subaru ECM's and he said it could be done but who would pay his hourly rate. He gets $400 EACH to re-PROM a ECM. :confused:

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
I'm not a mechanic, but I am (for now, anyway) disappointed to find that the "final drive" on the 2013 AN650 (Formerly known as the Executive) now has a "belt" drive rather then the "geared" drive of the older Model 650's. I don't know how much trouble it will be to replace a belt, but servicing the gear drive was easy enough for me to do. (Using the Shop Manual for guidance.)
Final drive is with gear as in past model, someone report this winter or spring it belt drive but this mistake.

·
Administrator
18,332 Posts
Could you ask him if he digs into the Subaru CVT as well?
Thread drift, sorry. No he only does the ECM for the older engine management. The transmission ECM is in another box under the dash and you use that box with the transmission you are going to use. Lot of the 1991-1994 Turbo Subaru Legacy 2.2 drivers are putting the newer 5EAT in place of the 4EAT or put a 5-6 speed manual in. I have a 94 Turbocharged 2.2 Legacy wagon with a burnt up transmission and may put a 5 speed in it as the cost of a rebuilt 4 speed OD automatic is $2500 USD. His web page:

http://www.robtune.com/

1 - 20 of 20 Posts