Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having owned a few (5) 400 Burgmans and currently deliberating whether to buy another 400 or splash out on the 650 variant I snapped up the opportunity to take a test ride on the 2013 650. My thoughts, A very sophisticated machine constructed to a high standed. Heavier than the 400 (obviously) but not an issue as weight low down, in fact it was a bit of a positive as the bike felt very "planted" the handling in general was better than it had any right to be. Power delivery very smooth but not the quantum leap over the 400 that I was hoping for. A very very nice machine, however, over complex. The manual gear selection option, a waste of two perfectly good switches, I would also question the validity of the "Power" button. The movable screen was to me of little or no use indeed I found the least turbulence was produced at the lowest setting and the range of movement pretty pointless. The strange thing was the screen itself, I know that this is very subjective but it look to me like it was a cheap add on and out of keeping with the quality of the rest of the bike. Now taking into account the price differential (£2,500+) the relative depreciation and the increased running costs it's another 400 for me.

Geoff.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
The 650 is not a bad machine at all, but there are just too many drives, wirings etc to my tastes that makes me feel that i'm driving some spacecraft rather than simple terrestrial vehicle.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fully agree, 650 is a very good machine indeed but for me more is actually less in this case.

Geoff.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
My 08 400 was recently totaled and I replaced with a 09 650. I love the smoothness of the clutch on the 650 but overall I like the 400 better. I like the simplicity, price and fuel mileage of the 400 better.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I hope to get an opportunity to test a new Burgman 650 some day. The 400 satisfies about 90 % of what I want in a bike, which includes all the must have stuff. More power, smoother power delivery, are the only things I can nit the 400 over.

I can think of some good uses of the power button, in the mountains. And the adjustable screen will be nice in the rain / heat.

I agree for the most part on the manual shift, duu that is why I don't ride a standard bike.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I know that this is very subjective but it look to me like it was a cheap add on and out of keeping with the quality of the rest of the bike. Now taking into account the price differential (£2,500+) the relative depreciation and the increased running costs it's another 400 for me.
Geoff.
Even on my 2009 B650Ex, that was my first impression.. the windshield is very cheap. It is held together by plastic parts that fit into other plastic parts to attach the windshield to the black plastic frame. It was a constant source of irritation as the windshield and the black plastic pieces would vibrate causing a rattling at different RPMs. It took some stick tape to shim the cheap plastic pieces. Suzuki could have used a little common sense and shimmed it so the plastic doesn't rattle. Once you get the rattle out of the windshield them comes the rattle in the dash. I haven't seen the 2013 B650, so unless significant changes keep a watch for rattling dash :confused: ... it seems that not much has changed. What has changed on the 2013 B650 is not even enough to make me want to trade in my present B650.

The B650Ex is a nice bike, but you would think that this next generation 2013 B650 could be significantly better engineered. Nothing about the new CVT that gives me any confidence that it is better or easier to service.. Only time will tell? As for now, I'll keep my 2009 B650 as long as possible.

·
Registered
739 Posts
The powerbutton use becomes very obvious as you ride the bike.. When I firstgot mine, I questioned it's use as well.. But I use mine all the time.. for stopping, for reducing speed going into a corner, etc.. AS for the gears.. I never use them, but it is interesting that the Burgman 650 is the only scooter allowed to use the Mt. Washington rd.. exactly because it has gears.. So in very hilly terrain, I'm sure it becomes very useful..
I also questioned the windshield travel and what was the point until I added a laminar lip and now I am glad it's there.. I drop is when off the 4 lane.. and raise when I am on it.. also if too hot, it's nice to increase the breeze a lot.. so it's far from useless..

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just purchased a 650 Exec and couldn't be happier. I have owned a Yahama Riva 200, a Honda Helix and prior to this Burgman a Yahama Majesty 400. All are still good scooters but the Burgman feels so much more plush. Does anyone know of a good cruise control for this bike. I am also working on a rack to attach trunk. I'll post some pictures when I finish the project. The goal was to keep the passenger backrest which I feel is an integral part of the new design.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts