Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done a hands on comparison of a 2012 or earlier to a 2013+ 650?

·
Registered
724 Posts
There are some differences:

Dash layout. (See online pictures)
Seat ('13 is narrower)
Redesigned look (see pictures)
Changed handlebar height (small change)
Windshield has more screws for '13
Less engine braking (a lot less) for '13
Slightly better gas mileage for '13
Easier to push the scooter around when off
Supposedly lighter, improved brakes
Easier to work on and change the oil
Redesigned brake lever for locking the rear tire
Redesigned electrical outlet

The basic concept and engine remain unchanged. No increase in HP or torque. No increase in top end or 0-60 time. CVT does shift (chooses gears) earlier for better fuel economy in auto mode. Suspension and seat comfort remain unchanged. Tire design and sizes are the same as 2012.

If you like the look of the '13 or '14 buy it. If you want a better deal and don't mind the slightly dated look of '12 then buy it.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Sounds like good improvements....question ...is the seat just narrower at the front? (that would be good )

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Overall, I like the newer models over the older ones. They are easier to handle walking and low speeds, less engine braking, and better gas mileage. I liked the older digital dash better and the seat was wider at at the back on the older models. I do not know if newer model's seat is narrower in the front, but my guess is that it is. Also, the floorboards is different and it makes it a little easier to put your feet down.

If you look in the July-Aug-Sept 2013 posting period you will find some more detailed info on the newer models.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Does anyone know what Suzuki -really- did to decrease the engine braking and improve mpg? And I don't understand their "new clutch plates that cause 35% less drag" statement. The plates only cause drag when they're disengaged, right? When you're over 8mph, the clutch is engaged and all the plates are rotating together, i.e. no "drag."

It sounds to me as if they added an overrunning clutch to allow the bike to coast without driving the power train backward. Then you aren't burning gas with the throttle open to modulate the engine braking.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I owned an 08 model sold it and a few years later bought a 13 model. I like the 13 model better. I like the instrument layout a lot better, it is a lot easier to move around in the garage, and the milage is better. I have no regrets, and its a keeper.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I compare my L4 to that of both a K4 and K7, both exec models.
All subjective thoughts FWIW.

I prefer the shaper lines of the new model over the curvy lardy especially the back end styling. The front LED marker lights are a nice touch, which I would have liked to have seen carried through with a horizontal LED strip embedded into the mirror pods/indicator lights (turn signals). The seat is perhaps narrower, but I cannot be sure of this. What is different is that the seat distance to the tupperware is shorter, meaning the tunnel length is not as long on the new model. A Givi T455 tunnel bag will not fit into the tunnel section.

I'm not a fan of the altered mirror design, where the actual mirrors are no longer integrated into the mirror pods, but rather are exposed. This is a tradeoff whereby I'd imagine replacement of the mirrors would be easier and perhaps less costly, but the sacrifice is that the mirrors are more prone to being effected by the elements e.g. water on the mirror surface when it rains.

The overall frontal surface area of the tupperware is less and so one is more exposed to the elements, and the revised and more stealthier OEM screen design only adds to this. Whether it is rain showers or cold weather, the ride on the new design is more prone to exposure to such weather phenomena.

I'm a fan of the relocated park brake, but some aren't, again another subjective view.
The altered electrical accessory plug geometry is well overdue. The under-seat storage area is slightly narrower by about 2-3cm, as I discovered when I attempted to stow my Lenovo T510 15.4" laptop. The laptop fits length wise across the under-seat stowage just on the K4 and K7. Not so on the L4, the accommodation is out by about 1-2cm - just wont' fit length wise.

The green "ECO" light is a nice addition, but it is somewhat difficult to keep the scoot within that 'range' with any more than just a slight twist of the throttle. Any slight incline and the "ECO" mode advantage is lost.

Removal of the rear pillion backrest to fit a luggage rack, exposes another design change, as one will need to purchase a rear tail tuipperware cover to hide the underside exposed internals.

I would have liked to have seen the heated seat and grips added as standard for world wide distribution, rather than just the EU markets, given how many other countries can and do have low seasonal temperature variations. Even the Middle East and Australian outback gets bloody nippy at night.

Pity Suzuki didn't increase the rear tyre to a 15" for a 15" front & rear combination. Actually if I had my way, it'd be a 17" front & rear tyre combo, same as the Honda Integra - which provides for a better ride over poorer riding surfaces. Yes, this change would result in alteration to various geometry, but nothing some R&D couldn't overcome.
YMMV.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Was just in the market for a new burgman and had to decide between a leftover 2012 and a new 2014. I liked all of the upgrades to the 2014, but to me they were not the kind of changes that would be worth the extra 3k the dealer wanted for the 2014. I have also noticed that the aftermarket parts are not as widely available yet for the new bike. I am sure they will catch up with time. Can't to go wrong with either. I got the 2012 and love it.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I just picked up a 2013 seat. The first thing I will be working on is the wider seat.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Was just in the market for a new burgman and had to decide between a leftover 2012 and a new 2014. I liked all of the upgrades to the 2014, but to me they were not the kind of changes that would be worth the extra 3k the dealer wanted for the 2014. I have also noticed that the aftermarket parts are not as widely available yet for the new bike. I am sure they will catch up with time. Can't to go wrong with either. I got the 2012 and love it.

I think the '13 is worth maybe $1K (at most) over a 2012. That said, I do like the styling better than the '12. I use my bike as an around town cruiser so I like the new styling; if was going long distances (over 200 miles per ride) the 2012 is probably the better bike.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts