Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How reliable is a new '12 650 vs a new '13 650? Is the CVT better or more likely to hold up past 50,000 miles in the '13?

How much more is a new '13 worth to you over a new '12 650 Executive?
$1,000? $1500 more? I'm thinking $1500 more for a '13 vs a '12.

All posts are appreciated.

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
I do not think there is much if any physical difference between the CVT in the 2012 and 2013. Reliability should be about the same.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2013 or 2014 650:

The number-one complaint previous owners had with their Burgman 650s was just pushing them around - there was too much resistance. Suzuki responded by redesigning the clutch and reducing drag by 35%, so the Burgman is far easier to maneuver in the garage or in the parking lot. And we can vouch for that. This clutch redesign had other advantages as well. Combined with other refinements to the Suzuki Electronically-controlled Continuously Variable Transmission (SECVT), and a reduction in mechanical loss, contribute to what Suzuki claims is a 15% boost in fuel economy.
Other notable improvements include the Burg’s braking system. The entire ABS system has been upgraded and is now 55% lighter, and there is a new triangular section muffler, which also give the Burgman a more modern look.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does a "reduction in mechanical loss" translate into a higher top end or faster 0-60 times? Is the '13 650 faster than a '12 650? Or, is the only gain a "15% boost in fuel economy?"

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Unless you just want a new scooter, you should consider a used one if you decide on a 2012. The 650 Exec wasn't changed much other than color so I would suggest you buy a 2009 or a 2011 and pay about half the price of a new one. The only person who would know the difference would be you.
The 2013 is different but the vast majority of the public don't know the difference. I don't have any problem at all with pushing mine and the 15% better fuel economy and the different speedometer is not worth $5,000 to me.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
It toss up with me, still prefer rear end look better , larger under seat storage, more powerful engine braking and more leg room of 2003-2012 over 2013, still willing to sacrifice 15% xtra fuel economy for this. Now if 2013-2014 had more hp, torque or lighter that attract in other way.

Not hear of ECVT problem on 2009-2012, suspect ECVT problem hopefully now in past.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does the '12 650 have more legroom than the '13/'14? I wasn't aware of that fact.
Is the seat any narrower for the '13/'14 compared to the '09-'12?

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
I do not know if the leg room is any different and the seat is narrower on the 2013 by about an inch.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Does the '12 650 have more legroom than the '13/'14? I wasn't aware of that fact.
Is the seat any narrower for the '13/'14 compared to the '09-'12?
Me find more leg/shin room on 2003-2012 than 2013-2014, did not notice if 2013-2014 seat narrower but backrest is bit better than on 2003-2012

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I do not know if the leg room is any different and the seat is narrower on the 2013 by about an inch.
I'm quite happy with the seat and legroom on my '12 Burgman 400. Should I expect the same legroom and seat on the '13 650? I wish the dealer allowed test rides.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The only difference is the outter styling,the frame,engine,cvt is all the same,it just depends which style you like & i'm sure you'll get a better deal if someone still has a 2012 in there showroom

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
I'm quite happy with the seat and legroom on my '12 Burgman 400. Should I expect the same legroom and seat on the '13 650? I wish the dealer allowed test rides.
At bike show February 2013 first thing that me notice was that knee and shin touch Tupperware on new 2013 Burgie 650 vs not on me 2009 Burgie 650, there is difference.

Me never compare leg room between 400 and 650 so can not help you with that, best you try this test yourself for your body.

If had one choice only, had to choose one bike in all 2013-2014 max-scoots available presently, would still choose the one and only KING, the Burgman 650. Nothing match it presently !!! :D :)

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am seeing a $1700-$2000 price differential between a brand new '12 vs a new '13 Burg 650. Is the '13 really worth that much more than a '12?

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The only difference is the outter styling,the frame,engine,cvt is all the same,it just depends which style you like & i'm sure you'll get a better deal if someone still has a 2012 in there showroom
Better deal? We are talking big discounts on the '12 with many dealers offering a solid $3K-4K off MSRP.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Better deal? We are talking big discounts on the '12 with many dealers offering a solid $3K-4K off MSRP.

For true $3k - 4k difference it make Chérie decision very easy, 2012 come to me right now.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I am seeing a $1700-$2000 price differential between a brand new '12 vs a new '13 Burg 650. Is the '13 really worth that much more than a '12?
That's for you to decide. Here in Australia a vehicle's resale price is based on its year of manufacture - as a result, everyone wants this calendar year's model instead of last calendar year's. One major car manufacturer has an advertising campaign promoting the benefits of buying an OLD 2013 vs. a NEW 2014 model. In short, the campaign states the vehicles are identical except for the price tag.

Now, I recognise that the 2013 B650 has styling changes to the 2012, but the mechanical/electronic enhancements are absolutely minimal. Much as I personally prefer the 2013+ bodywork, I think the analogue style instruments are a sufficiently large retrograde step to make me think twice about an upgrade.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Now, I recognise that the 2013 B650 has styling changes to the 2012, but the mechanical/electronic enhancements are absolutely minimal. Much as I personally prefer the 2013+ bodywork, I think the analogue style instruments are a sufficiently large retrograde step to make me think twice about an upgrade.
I agree, the thing that completely turns me off the new burgman are the analog gauges so if a 2012 and a 2013 were the same price I'd still probably pick a 2012. Most people seem to like them though but how anyone finds a technological step backwards like that an improvement I don't understand. :confused:

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
That's for you to decide. Here in Australia a vehicle's resale price is based on its year of manufacture - as a result, everyone wants this calendar year's model instead of last calendar year's. One major car manufacturer has an advertising campaign promoting the benefits of buying an OLD 2013 vs. a NEW 2014 model. In short, the campaign states the vehicles are identical except for the price tag.

With a childish scale 50 kph above any realistic speed achieved by a Burgman 650

All I want from the 2013 is the clutch and the CVT-programming to lower the 3k RPM threshold

·
Registered
739 Posts
i have a 2012 650.. Probably way too early to determine long term CVT issues at 50,000 miles +.... I don't worry about it at all.. when I get a few more years on mine, I fully expect to buy a new whatever year then again.. Don't over analyize the decision.. both good bikes.. you might save enough on a 2012 to make it worthwhile..

·
Registered
220 Posts
I myself kicked the same thing around for around four months trying to decide on what to do. Since I'm not new to motorcycles/scooters I have always looked into each bike/scooter purchase as something I could sell if I wanted to move it on. After looking at the market and its poor resale valves of maxi scooter in general, I started looking for super nice used 650 Burgman that I felt I had to almost steal if I was going to buy one. Took me about six weeks to come up on a perfect 2007 with 3200 miles on it and in perfect condition. The retired doctor that was selling it was 72 yoa and said his riding days were over and just wanted it out of his garage. KBB was $4350 and I offered $3800 and he took the deal, we both were happy, him to see it go and me to purchase a like new scooter at a good price. Key here is look what you can sell one before you purchase one, I would rethink that before worrying about 15% fuel mileage, or if I could push it around, I would think about those thousands of dollars that you are going to loose over things that really don't matter. Burgman's have a good track record, that's what you need to look for, not be so negative on things that could happen.

John

1 - 20 of 33 Posts