Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I began shopping for a bigger bike a few months ago (currently have a Vespa GTS 250 ie and 150 ie). The shopping began after an incredible 2-up journey my better 1/2 and I took on the 250.

I had my heart set on a BMW (but not my wallet) ... as I was close to closing up a deal I met a great guy on a group ride with a 650 (who I think is somewhere on this forum but not finding his handle or not looking correctly) Anyway, he was cool enough to give us a tour of his 650 (forgot what year) and offered us to have a seat while set up on the center stand. To my surprise, both of us found it far more comfortable than the BMW.

So, I have since found two. One is an 09 with 6,664 miles and is being offered at $5,950 (it has a GIVI top case already installed). The other we came upon today ... a 2012 with 7,034 miles ... it is being offered at $7700.

With that background:
1. I don't have any wrench turning skills on bikes, yet --
2. Comfort for my other 1/2 is critical ... and she found the newer bike slightly better -- but I think that was because of the seat, and seats can be replaced.
3. I am nearing 9000 miles on my 07 250cc, isn't 7,034 miles on a 2012 kinda high -- and how does that factor - meaning, should it?
4. The less expensive bike is from a guy on CL and the newer one from friends/dealers that had one in on a trade.

What major differences will there be in the riding experience?
Are there "known" 2012 issues that would make anyone stay away?
What other things should I consider?
Any feedback at all -- including your experiences on your bikes, 2-up, would be welcomed.

Thanks so much,
-R

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
I would very careful of the one on CL...
the one from friends/dealers is like a bird in the hand...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, Duster.
I haven't had any bad experiences yet with making any purchases over CL, but ... after reading what I wrote, it would be definitely be safer getting it from more trusted people. More to think about.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Hey Rocco, that was me who gave you the 650 tour.

I'm sure you will find a lot of great advice here soon and I probably don't have much to add to it. But be that as it may, Burgman's and other large Maxis are not like the smaller bikes which often have a much higher maintenance schedule. Bigger bikes, in general, have a longer life span and need oil, tires, etc. less frequently. You will find guys here that have 100k miles on the clock and they still work well.

So, 6k vs 7k... 09 vs 12. In terms of wear, they're practically identical. In terms of features, the Givi box will save you several hundred $$. I know your wife liked my Bestem box ($170 with mounting plate, delivered. Installation extra), so you'll be needing a top box. I don't know of any changes Suzuki made between those model years, others will chime in here soon. But suffice it to say the newer the better.

Lastly, I'm a CL novice. I got my b650 recently through it and had a great experience, but I'm sure there are many tails of woe out there. So be careful.

Enjoy the search. Hope you get the bike of your dreams.

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
As for 7,000 miles on the 2012, that isn't really very much. I average about 16,000 a year on mine.

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
There were a couple of changes in the CVT primary pulley on the 2012 that should make it a stronger unit. No issues that I know of.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Just looked on CL, there's an 08 with 2k on the clock in Thousand Oaks. Older gentleman, hanging up his bike bike spurs. Might be worth checking out.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I would very careful of the one on CL...
the one from friends/dealers is like a bird in the hand...
I see using CL very differently than you do. Maybe it's because I'm not in the big city. I have bought 2 cars, 2 Burgmans, one motorcycle and a 4X4 ATV on CL with good results. I have also sold 2 motorcycles there.

You might have to look at a bunch of ads and talk to some of the sellers before you find one that feels right. I only buy from someone who has had the vehicle for a good period of time and has a reasonable reason for selling it. I go to their house to look at it because I want to see how he keeps and maintains his other things. If everything he owns is clean and well kept, he probably kept what you are looking at the same way. You do need to be a good judge of people.

When you buy from a dealer, you frequently don't know a lot about what you are buying. Once a dealer cleans, reconditions and details a vehicle, it might look great but it might hide the mistreatment the prior owner gave it.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
High mileage on a newer bike can be viewed as a GOOD sign. Sitting in a garage ages a motorcycle, but she really thrives in an environment where she's taken out and ridden every day.

I've had good experiences with Craigslist, but the place I always go to find my next bike is http://www.cycletrader.com/ Don't be afraid to look at deals far from your home. There's probably SOMEONE here in this forum who could go and look at it for you and give you their opinion over the phone. I took the train one-way from Tampa to Florence, SC after a friend went and looked at a bike I had seen online. Paid the private owner his money and drove it 600 miles home. It was a great way to get used to a new bike!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Liam and everyone else: Thank you so much for all this great feedback. I really appreciate you all taking the time to reply to my post. This is all incredibly helpful to me as I continue on this shopping journey.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Liam and everyone else: Thank you so much for all this great feedback. I really appreciate you all taking the time to reply to my post. This is all incredibly helpful to me as I continue on this shopping journey.
As with most things in life, the journey is half the fun. But in the Burgman's case, just the beginning. : )

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I may change my ways in the future (I doubt it at my age) but I usually buy motorcycles from my dealer (a guy I have known well for over 20 years). I have bought 5 motorcycles from him and he knows I always pay cash for my bikes. I feel that I get better motorcycles this way as he will gently steer me away from a bike that he has that isn't pristine. He also knows that I send a lot of business to him and that would stop if ever I felt that I got a bad bike from him. I ended up paying more for my latest buy (my Burgman 650 Executive) but this bike was a low low mileage 2009 without a scratch. It has been a delight to own. I could have got a Burgman for less than mine cost, but the peace of mind of knowing that this Burgman had been gone though by his people before being placed on the floor was worth the extra money I spent with this buy. Buying from someone you know and trust goes a long way in my book.

Namaste'
Doug in Kentuckuy

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Namaste, and thank you for the comment: I think there is something to buying from someone we know and trust vs. someone we just meet. I talked this evening with a cousin who rides a HD for 20+ years and he too alluded to something someone else shared on this thread -- that though the newer bike has more mileage, he sees that as a good thing. There is so much to learn and as Liam mentioned, this journey to finding the right bike is 1/2 the fun ... I truly am learning a ton and enjoying every minute.

Thanks again for taking the time to comment.

I may change my ways in the future (I doubt it at my age) but I usually buy motorcycles from my dealer (a guy I have known well for over 20 years). I have bought 5 motorcycles from him and he knows I always pay cash for my bikes. I feel that I get better motorcycles this way as he will gently steer me away from a bike that he has that isn't pristine. He also knows that I send a lot of business to him and that would stop if ever I felt that I got a bad bike from him. I ended up paying more for my latest buy (my Burgman 650 Executive) but this bike was a low low mileage 2009 without a scratch. It has been a delight to own. I could have got a Burgman for less than mine cost, but the peace of mind of knowing that this Burgman had been gone though by his people before being placed on the floor was worth the extra money I spent with this buy. Buying from someone you know and trust goes a long way in my book.

Namaste'
Doug in Kentuckuy

·
Registered
220 Posts
Rocco, why don't you tell us where you live, hopefully someone could meet with you and help you with some of your question. I have helped many new riders get off on the right step and not make bad decisions on there first purchases. I'm no genius for sure, but after 45 years of riding and have owned some 40-45 bikes, I at least have and idea of what works and what doesn't. One thing I have found out on this Burgman Forum is that several on here are starting to ride at an older age for the first time in their lives and truly need some help in getting started. I personally don't mind meeting with someone who wants to talk bikes that lives in the DFW area over coffee, or a phone call.

John

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Presently own my second Burgman 650, present 650 have 58K, is 2009 model year purchase new in 2010 and like my first Burgie it a fantastic bike, if me have to take same decision as you personally me would purchase the 2012 because it is the last model year of fabrication of bike line that start in 2002 that have little tweaking year after year, ie.: 2012 suspension and seat bit better than 2009.

With time Rocco discover that Burgie 650 much more reliable than your present Vespa product and ton more fun.

Good luck with purchase of Burgie.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have a 2012 650 Executive. It currently has 16,000 miles because I ride it almost daily. I've ridden it on 4 day 1500 mile trips at 75mph all day long. I also put in the state parks and on back roads at 20mph. I ride 2 up with my wife and I have a Bestem 929 box. I bought it new in September 2012. I have had absolutely no problems with it at all. Wife loves the comfort of the seat and she can even out ride me! Sometimes I need to look in the mirrors to make sure she hasn't fell off because she just zones out back there. I never plan on returning to shifting or cruisers again. This machine is the best ride I have ever owned and I have been riding off and on since 1967. According to the group there were a few minor improvements for the 2012 but apparently the biggest is in the 2013. You should be just fine with the 2012 you are looking at. The mileage is nothing. Check out the rear tire though. It will probably only have about 1000 miles remaining in the safe area. Enjoy!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hello everyone,

I began shopping for a bigger bike a few months ago (currently have a Vespa GTS 250 ie and 150 ie). The shopping began after an incredible 2-up journey my better 1/2 and I took on the 250.

I had my heart set on a BMW (but not my wallet) ... as I was close to closing up a deal I met a great guy on a group ride with a 650 (who I think is somewhere on this forum but not finding his handle or not looking correctly) Anyway, he was cool enough to give us a tour of his 650 (forgot what year) and offered us to have a seat while set up on the center stand. To my surprise, both of us found it far more comfortable than the BMW.

So, I have since found two. One is an 09 with 6,664 miles and is being offered at $5,950 (it has a GIVI top case already installed). The other we came upon today ... a 2012 with 7,034 miles ... it is being offered at $7700.

With that background:
1. I don't have any wrench turning skills on bikes, yet --
2. Comfort for my other 1/2 is critical ... and she found the newer bike slightly better -- but I think that was because of the seat, and seats can be replaced.
3. I am nearing 9000 miles on my 07 250cc, isn't 7,034 miles on a 2012 kinda high -- and how does that factor - meaning, should it?
4. The less expensive bike is from a guy on CL and the newer one from friends/dealers that had one in on a trade.

What major differences will there be in the riding experience?
Are there "known" 2012 issues that would make anyone stay away?
What other things should I consider?
Any feedback at all -- including your experiences on your bikes, 2-up, would be welcomed.

Thanks so much,
-R
I got my 2012 with 300 miles on it for $7125 just couple of months ago from a Persian doctor in Orange county

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Can someone correct me if I'm wrong on this, but...

Didn't Suzuki redo the clutch a bit on the 2012 model? Made it easier in slow speed operation or something? That's my only peeve with my 2005. Slow speed maneuvering is hindered by the clutch not disengaging until <10 mph. Between the engine braking and the power is has, things can get herky jerky unless you're real smooth in the throttle.

If so Rocco, definitely go for the 2012. Solves one of the very few problems on this bike.

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
As far as I know the changes to the clutch did not occur until the 2013 model.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
2012 sounds like the ticket if only for the resale....neither bike is really broken in yet. Both mine continued to get smoother as the mileage climbed. Seems about 20,000 km they settled into turbine smooth.
They really are low maintenance machines with the exception of rear tire wear.

I had 25,000 km on my 2005 ( it's still going strong with another owner ) and 45,000 km on the current 2009 with total things that failed of two batteries ( both got 5 years ).
That's it....beyond tires and oil changes.

I think there are good deals around ( I got mine for less than half of what the owner paid the dealer ) as newbies get over their heads with the 650 ....it's big, powerful and heavy for the novice rider.
A delight for the experienced rider.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts