Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering trading at a dealership for a 2012 Burg 650. Took it on a test ride and wanted to know if these conditions were normal.

1. In Power mode, the revs were higher before it shifted, which I expected. What I didn't expect was that when I coasted to a stop, the revs remained fairly higher than I thought it should. I would have thought the revs would drop to idle a lot quicker. It didn't drop to idle till the bike was almost at a complete stop. Is this normal?

2. I found it very difficult to shift smoothy manually. If I cut the throttle before shifting, I got noticeable jerk/buck from engine breaking. If I didn't cut the throttle, the shift was jerky. I'm sure there's a learning curve to shifting smoothly but does the above indicate a problem.

Is there anything else I should be checking on a 2012 Berg 650 with 3,500 miles on it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
1. Yes that's normal. It's called engine braking and it comes in very handy when riding twisties. However, it takes a very delicate throttle hand to tame. Most people just keep it in "Drive" mode and only break out "Power" mode when you need it, ie. passing or mountain roads. It's not meant for everyday commute.

2. No one uses "Manual" mode. If we wanted to shift, we'd by MCs. The jerkiness is normal cause you're moving up a full gear, cutting the throttle isn't necessary when you "shift" and probably makes the jerkiness worse. "Manual" mode is handy if you want to keep it in a certain gear, like Overdrive on a long cruise. Other than that, most people just use Drive and Power modes. You really don't need more than that.

The pre-2013 bikes need a smooth touch on the throttle as the bike has both power and engine braking. A heavy hand in either direction can lead to a jerkiness. Takes a bit to master, but you'll appreciate it once you're good at it.

You didn't mention a price, but a 2012 with 3500 is a prime bike. I doubt there could be much, if anything wrong with it, other than an accident.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
What he said....great machine...takes some getting used to the throttle and engine braking.

Manual??? fuhgedaboudit

Power button....brilliant for the twisties and off the line...generally not on when coming to a stop.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I'm considering trading at a dealership for a 2012 Burg 650. Took it on a test ride and wanted to know if these conditions were normal.

1. In Power mode, the revs were higher before it shifted, which I expected. What I didn't expect was that when I coasted to a stop, the revs remained fairly higher than I thought it should. I would have thought the revs would drop to idle a lot quicker. It didn't drop to idle till the bike was almost at a complete stop. Is this normal?

2. I found it very difficult to shift smoothy manually. If I cut the throttle before shifting, I got noticeable jerk/buck from engine breaking. If I didn't cut the throttle, the shift was jerky. I'm sure there's a learning curve to shifting smoothly but does the above indicate a problem.

Is there anything else I should be checking on a 2012 Berg 650 with 3,500 miles on it.

Thanks.
The 650 Burg's engine break is IMO the most severe out of all the big scoots , and it takes a little getting used to . In a few weeks you'll get it and you will seldom give it a thought . You have to almost think of it as an electric scooter and the throttle is a rheostat . VERY GENTLY taking off and VERY GENTLY decelerating is the key to the whole thing .

Good luck . TheReaper!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply.

The bike is in very good condition. It does look like it was dropped on the right side; scratches in the heat shield and a few scrapes near where you put your right foot. Not really too bad.

At this point in time, it looks like it would cost me one 2007 Harley Fatboy. :-?

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Thanks for the reply.

The bike is in very good condition. It does look like it was dropped on the right side; scratches in the heat shield and a few scrapes near where you put your right foot. Not really too bad.

At this point in time, it looks like it would cost me one 2007 Harley Fatboy. :-?
I would strongly advise you to pass on it if it's been down , there are plenty of nice ones that haven't been down you just have to look around and be patient . Plastics for these are VERY expensive to replace .

TheReaper!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So after a lot of soul searching this past weekend, I ended up trading my HD for the Burgman 650. Looking at what my bike was actually selling for (completed auctions on eBay) vs. the availability of good, clean, late model Burgmans in my area, I decided to do the deal.

I probably could have done slightly better privately but chances are, I wouldn't be on a scooter till next spring. When comparing all the intangibles, I feel it was a decent deal. The dealership treated me very well. And, part of the deal was a year of extended warranty.

I think the drop was truly a drop and not a crash. The dealer replaced the heat shield so it looks good. The bike runs and handles well. All in all, I think it's a clean 2012 with less than 3,500 miles.

Thanks for all the feedback and replies here. It was a help in purchasing the bike.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Congratulations, Leon. You're going to love her!

·
Registered
643 Posts
Congratulations! I know you will enjoy your choice. I love the engine breaking it is great on twisty mountain roads. I only use power for the downhill portions. I wish they would get rid of the shift mode and give it an economy setting instead.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
You just can't go wrong with a late model burgman. Suzuki really has the formula down now. They are very solid bikes now.

Conversely, my BMW riding friend just had the instrument head unit go out on a brand new bike. This was after the top box fell off another brand new BMW he had purchased. There's a few kinks to work out there.

You made a good decision. Congratulations!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts