Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought 2011 650 Burgman executive, with only 6K miles on it. Drove it for 120 miles and my rear tire locked up while ridding on the freeway. I am thankful to be alive. This is a very very dangerous problem and I could have been killed. It appears that this is not new problem with Burgman. I am wondering if there is any kind of class action lawsuit against Suzuki. This is a major safety issue. I bought the bike for $4500, already out of pocket $600 and found out the engine need to come out and be split to fix the transmission. This is absolute BS. I am going to contact Suzuki corp to see what happens. I have it for sale on Craigslist. Don’t have the money to fix it. So disappointed.

Attachments

·
Administrator
23,315 Posts
Mp, sorry to hear of your problem but it is not a common problem. But we will need more information. Is it in the Transmission or the Final Drive? Your second picture shows the clutch removed.

Where are you located? Where is the Craigslist advert?

Reactions: milburg66

·
Premium Member
2017 Suzuki Burgman 650
15,200 Posts
Yea, I'm with Dave. I have not read about anything remotely close to this problem prior to this post and cannot through a quick search find anything now. Please tell us more about how this occurred and the exact findings of the clutch removal and investigation.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Wow! I wonder if the person that sold you the bike knew there was a pre-existing problem. That would be real cold putting a person's life in danger to make a couple extra bucks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I foo d this bike on Craigslist about 100 miles away from and sounded really nice, so I got a ride there took it for a quick test drive but when I was ridding it back it just didn’t feel quite right. I got home and parked it checked all the fluids and all checked out and the old man told me he did all the work himself. Last Sunday the weather was really nice in Seattle so I decided to take it for a ride and meet a friend for lunch well, I never made it. I googled this problem and it appears that others have had this problem too.

Very dangerous situation, I could have been taking a turn and would have been killed by all the vehicles behind me. I called the old man who sold me the bike I left him a message but he basically washed his hand. I don’t know and can’t prove if he intentionally sold me this piece of crap. Any way, I am screwed need to suck it up I guess and move on. Thanks everyone.

·
Super Moderator
15,702 Posts
Glad you made it unscathed, your riding skills must be excellent.

Far as the issue itself goes I only found one reference to the rear locking up like that. Seemed to be a gear oil issue from what I got from the thread.

If you think there's a larger issue do you have some of those examples? It'd be interesting to see if the correlate on year, model etc.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
man thats some scary stuff. im glad oure ok. those 650 have some strength. it could have been worse.

"already out of pocket $600 and found out the engine need to come out and be split to fix the transmission. This is absolute BS."

this is not a suzuki issue IMHO. I believe this is a buyer/seller issue

·
Registered
763 Posts
Well sometimes "stuff" happens. I'm sorry for your troubles and glad you were not injured.
It is NOT a common problem for the 650.
I had 40K on a 2007 650. And just bought a 650 just like yours, same year model with 8K on it. I've put 700 miles on it this week with no issues. I dunno what the issue is … and it stinks …. and I'd be wondering if I got screwed too … buy it is NOT a common problem with Burgman 650.

Sorry for your luck. Moving parts sometimes stop moving:-(

Sirkitrider

·
Premium Member
2017 Suzuki Burgman 650
15,200 Posts
this is not a Suzuki issue IMHO. I believe this is a buyer/seller issue
I hate to see anyone having problems like that but I would agree with you. It is not an issue for Suzuki. I saw the same thing Tromper found regarding an oil issue and I think it was caused by a dealer if I recall. Without more details of the issue it is hard to make it correlate to a problem inherent to the series of bikes. I do think this is far more of a buyer/seller thing than an OEM thing. Not knowing the particulars of how this transaction came to be, the words caveat emptor comes to mind. Gonna be hard to find anyone willing to offer more than advice on an 8 year old bike. I am curious about the cause of the wheel lock up and the reason for the clutch removal and also what work the seller had done on it previously.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Glad you are alright physically if not monitarily. Did your clutch lock up? You should be able to turn it by hand. As an aside, you have helical drive for the clutch,,,as I do. 13 & up is supposed to be helical.

·
Registered
5,608 Posts
never fun to experience anything like that at speed, glad you didn't go down

as for the rear wheel lock up this is the first I have heard of it, at least on this forum.

you are showing a picture of a disassembled clutch and final drive.

did you take the rear wheel off for inspection? was a new tire installed recently?

not very clear what actually happened? did you have an engine seizure or a wheel lock up?

·
Administrator
23,315 Posts
OK I have heard of the couple of Transmission issues where the wrong fluid or NO fluid was used. Most made a squeeling sound. My first 2003, at 54,000 miles, had 0W20 put in the transmission by accident and started to squeel. I had parked it and bought a 2008 with 1500 miles on it with broken tupperware so I put all my 2003's tupperware on it. In my garage I have a 2003 engine with 54,000 miles and a naked 2008 that runs well but has no tupperware due to a major crash in Renton on Hwy 167.

So, I have the parts to fix your bike but am finding it hard to come up with the cash to buy it from you.

My current 2003's engine is not well. The timing chain is stretched too much and it is loud. IF I bought your 2011 I'd put the good 2003's engine in it and put my current 2003's tupperware on my 2008. These things are like LEGO's. A 1960's Lego block will fit on a 2000's Lego block. To use a 2003 engine I'd need to use the 2011 throttle bodies and all the sensors. Everything else bolts up and works.

I would then take the 2011 engine apart, replace the transmission gears and bearings and put it back in the 2011 frame.

·
Premium Member
14,472 Posts
My guess would be that at some point the transmission had been run with no oil in it. That damaged the bearings. Put oil in it and it runs again but it is a time bomb waiting to lock up at some point down the line.

Is this a defect on the 650. No. Any bike that has a bearing fail in the drive system after the clutch can lock up. The transmission in the 650 is located after the clutch so it can lock up if a bearing fails. Not unusual. Most standard shift cars can do the same thing under the right conditions.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Unfortunately guys I don’t know much about these bike other than what I was told by the mechanic. Engine runs perfect. I was told that engine needs to come out in order to find out exactly what it needs. The problem is forward of the last gear in the final gear compartment. There was fluid in the transmission, the brand and all I am not sure. All fluids was supposedly done before I bought the bike. I can tell the engine oil filter is brand new.

·
Administrator
23,315 Posts
Yes, if the 'Locked up' issue is before the final drive and the engine runs, I agree that is is locked in the Transmission. If the Belt breaks the bike will slow to a stop but the engine will rev OK.

And yes the whole engine will need to be dropped, the head and cylinders pulled and then the case split in two. It is a lot of work and requires just a few special tools.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes David, that’s was the mechanic said too. I don’t have the knowledge nor in good health to do that kind of work. That’s why I have it for sale. Hopefully someone will show interest and take it off of my hand.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts