Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother's 650 is running badly. He replaced the spark plugs, emptied the gas tank and put in fresh gas. One day it runs fairly well and the next day not so good. I would guess its a partially plugged fuel filter. Does this 650 have a fuel filter? Also, he says the fan doesn't come on but since he rides the city streets mostly, it probably doesn't need to come on. Were not sure it even has a fan. We are not exactly mechanics. Any thoughts on what needs to be done!

·
Premium Member
2,798 Posts
My brother's 650 is running badly. He replaced the spark plugs, emptied the gas tank and put in fresh gas. One day it runs fairly well and the next day not so good. I would guess its a partially plugged fuel filter. Does this 650 have a fuel filter? Also, he says the fan doesn't come on but since he rides the city streets mostly, it probably doesn't need to come on. Were not sure it even has a fan. We are not exactly mechanics. Any thoughts on what needs to be done!
Yes it has a fan and you will want it to run in city or on open road. Get the fan fixed before a catastrophic failure occurs and then go from there. This could be the cause of the bike running badly . Let’s hope not.

·
Super Moderator
2,289 Posts
There is a fuel filter, it's part of the pump assembly. It's not a common problem, but tough to say.
Yup there is a fan. The wiring runs down the right hand side of the bike (as you're riding it). There have been a few reported cases of issues with one of the final connections corroding; albeit those were from 2007's (mine was one).
Running funny intermittently? Have you checked to make sure your battery screws are clean and tight? I've had those rattle loose a bit and give me an annoying intermittent issue.
1 hour to diagnose, 5 minutes to fix. 1 hour to be annoyed at self for not checking that first or at least early into it.

·
Registered
163 Posts
The fan is not supposed to run full time. M.O.F., I don't think I've heard my fan come on yet, I've drive my 2011 about 1,000 miles. As long as you're moving along somewhat swiftly, and not drag racing from traffic light to traffic light, it may be that the coolant is not getting hot enough to trigger the fan. That's my understanding of how the fan is supposed to work. Just like on cars. The fan supplements air movement across the radiator at times when a) the bike is not moving or not moving swiftly, and b) the coolant temp meets a certain threshold.

7milesout

·
Premium Member
2,798 Posts
The ambient temperature will have an effect on when and how long the fan will run. I’m in Texas and hot days it runs. It’s a quiet sound and probably undetectable while wearing a helmet.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, you say the fuel filter is part of the pump assembly. Is the filter hard to take apart and check and where is the pump assembly? Brother said the spark plugs were very difficult to replace so I'm hoping to help him out by not having to remove too many plastic panels.

·
Registered
713 Posts
To get to the spark plugs. Remove the front plastic cover behind the front wheel. Two push pins underneath and one either side on the insides of the fairing. Remove the bolt on the RH side of the radiator. Swing the radiator out remove the rubber surround from the rad pop off the stick coils with a screwdriver. Put an extension bar on your spark plug socket slide it down the hole. Add ratchet spanner and crack the plug loose. Remove ratchet spanner and turn the extension bar by hand. Plugs out replace and reassemble. I personally remove my front wheel and mud guard as it gives far better access and only takes 10 minutes

·
Premium Member
8,033 Posts
did any maintenance occur just before it started misbehaving? including washing

Reactions: Rusty J

·
Administrator
18,201 Posts
Fuel tank is under the trunk storage box, under the seat. Not easy to get too. The filter is attached to the intank fuel pump.

4.jpg Fuel pump2.jpg

Reactions: Rusty J and Tromper
1 - 10 of 10 Posts