Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
On ohm meter put red on neg side of fuse and black on frame..Reads 87.2....Put red on hot side of fuse from batt reads ol..??????
Ooops sorry Will made a boo boo you should get 12v when on the live side of the fuse and black lead on the neg sorry been a long day. On the dead side it should read 1 you shouldnt be getting continuity between the fuse holder and ground.

·
Premium Member
12,592 Posts
First check nothing is under your trunk contacting the two terminals in the black box/starter relay and touching any part of the frame/negative terminal. Next port of call is the harness round the head stock may have worn through causing a short . Then onto more murky waters. If you put a volt meter on the fuse holder on the live side with the fuse pulled and put the black lead on the negative or frame and the meter on 12vDC it should not read anything. (Edit incorrect should read 12V) . Then put it on Ohms and put the red on the dead side with the fuse pulled and negative to battery negative or frame it should stay at 1. Any reading is a short somewhere
on my 15, 650, both the clock and the abs system memory thingy draw power when ignition switch is off, just a tiny bit but enough to be irritating when looking for a short

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Ooops sorry Will made a boo boo you should get 12v when on the live side of the fuse and black lead on the neg sorry been a long day. On the dead side it should read 1 you shouldnt be getting continuity between the fuse holder and ground.
Just making it clear..Set meter on ohm put red on neg side of fuse and black on frame are ground it should read 1...I'm reading 87.2...sooooo short...Could it be the rectifier..???? Looking at the schematic thats the first place it goes..

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Possibly with anything electrical it's a Maze so start there possibly the connector plug has overheated melting it sometimes happens when the rectifier goes. Panel off I'm afraid only way to get to it

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Possibly with anything electrical it's a Maze so start there possibly the connector plug has overheated melting it sometimes happens when the rectifier goes. Panel of I'm afraid only way to get to it
Thanks....start digging...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Truer words haven't been written here. From our very own sage @Dave_J

@william321
Keep us posted on what you find out with your bike. Seeing an answer to a problem may help another rider down the road somewhere in the same situation.
No problem to large..Can everyone see my replies are do i have to repeat myself to each person..New at this...64 and a crappy typer..

·
Premium Member
3,680 Posts
No problem to large..Can everyone see my replies are do i have to repeat myself to each person..New at this...64 and a crappy typer..
Yes we can all see your replies .... you are doing fine.....you have our best guys helping you so you should have this sorted soon.

·
Premium Member
3,680 Posts
I love the 650 burgman but trying to get to anything to work on is a nightmare..
Yes, that’s why I wanted you to have LeDudes site ASAP .... if you follow his instructions ...you can disassemble the house of cards and build it back in a logical order.

We all learn from each other....you have taught me not to take a jump from a running car.

You are lucky to have found this site and you have already met our finest... most of us will stay with you till your Burgman Grin Returns.

Reactions: william321

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
How do i test the rectifier..Set meter on diode.. meter red line to pos on rec black on each one reads .4 -- .4 -- 00 on last one..If i did it right..

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
On Ohms test 1-2 1_3 2_3 all readings should be virtually the same the numbers do not matter as long as they are within a few ohms of each other. How is the connecting plug any sign of overheating?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
On Ohms test 1-2 1_3 2_3 all readings should be virtually the same the numbers do not matter as long as they are within a few ohms of each other. How is the connecting plug any sign of overheating?
no signs..i have it right in front of me..with a meter..

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #36 (Edited)
disconnected the rectifier..Started right up..Now can the stator fry the rectifier..I think the rec is bad but i dont want to put a new 1 in and fry it..and do i have to drain the oil to replace the stator???

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Heat kills the rectifier I have replaced 2 of them no damage to stator. Check the stator voltage red on each phase black to ground bike running if you rev the bike should be 80v per phase then all good.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
no signs..i have it right in front of me..with a meter..
Heat kills the rectifier I have replaced 2 of them no damage to stator. Check the stator voltage red on each phase black to ground bike running if you rev the bike should be 80v per phase then all good.
meter on ohm. black wire to ground red on all three stator wires getting a reading???

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
No meter on AC black to frame red on each phase should get 80v with the bike running and at about 3k rpm reg/rec converts it to 14vDC and gets quite hot so dissipates the heat via the fins heat sink plate and airflow. Normally a diode blows and its game over.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Sounds like you found the problem, well done, stator will probably be OK.
Search this forum and you will find more info on the regulator and what can be fitted, you will probably find a cheaper option than the Suzuki item.

21 - 40 of 72 Posts