Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Hi. I got a 650 Burgman 2011 issue, 40 amp Main fuse blew while I was riding. Towed it home, went to put another one in and as soon as it touched, it blew. Noticed when I took off that day the batt was sluggish. I turned the key off and still juice going thru it. None of the other fuses have blown.
A week ago it blew...Replaced it and it was fine.
Partially torn apart looking for short. Thinking maybe stator is fried. New batt a couple months ago and now it was almost dead.

ANY HELP?

·
Premium Member
12,586 Posts
electrical problems are never easy, unless smoke is involved,,, I would remove all the fuses , then use a meter in the main fuse, replace fuses one at a time till a direct short is found, this will give yiou a direction to go in, much cussing will be involved so you may want to borrow from next months supply.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Juice going thru at main fuse with key off??????????
If im using it right meter on dcv showing 19.500 at main fuse with key off..Any help????

·
Super Moderator
2017 Suzuki Burgman 650
10,023 Posts
@william321
Welcome to the forum sir.
You have found the right place for answers to just about everything known about the Burgmans we all ride. As said by one of our colleagues, electirical issues are hard to diagnose sometimes. Please give us a bit more of the back story on your bike. There are plenty of verifiable experts on here but they need to know the circumstances and any pertinent info leading up to the time of occurrence. Also please give us a general location as we have members from all over and some might just be able to take a look and try to help.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Cape Coral FL....last week started it.. 5 sec main fuse blew.. put another 1 in drove around all week..Yesterday Driving... Sluggish batt ..main fuse blew..put another one in.. blew immediately with key off..now showing hot all the time with key off...Meter set on dcv 20 shows 12.86 at fuse and same at batt..Bare wire at fuse one terminal to the other gets big spark...Any Help..Thanks..Small 2 inch box off batt hot line..What is that??

·
Premium Member
3,696 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,279 Posts
Small 2 inch box off batt hot line..What is that??
If you are talking about the box on top of the battery cover it is the starter relay.

As for your main fuse blowing issue, it sounds like you have a short in the wiring harness somewhere between the main fuse and the key switch. Only thing I can recommend is removing all the front body work and follow the harness looking for a worn spot.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
My first thought was maybe the ignition switch is going out. I remember a thread of burnt contacts on the switch and meltdowns causing electrical problems. But since I'm a 400 owner I might not know what I'm talking about.

Reactions: william321

·
Premium Member
12,586 Posts
trunk light!

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
First check nothing is under your trunk contacting the two terminals in the black box/starter relay and touching any part of the frame/negative terminal. Next port of call is the harness round the head stock may have worn through causing a short . Then onto more murky waters. If you put a volt meter on the fuse holder on the live side with the fuse pulled and put the black lead on the negative or frame and the meter on 12vDC it should not read anything. (Edit incorrect should read 12V) . Then put it on Ohms and put the red on the dead side with the fuse pulled and negative to battery negative or frame it should stay at 1. Any reading is a short somewhere

·
Administrator
20,107 Posts
William, welcome to the forums. I edited your head line with model and where you are located.

You are in a bad spot but if we can work this through I think we can help. We may ask some stupid questions or suggest you do something stupid but try to humor us. As a group I say we know more about these bikes than Suzuki does.

·
Administrator
20,107 Posts
Now with the key off I do not think there should be a current draw. That main fuse is a 10 guage wire main feed right off the voltage Regulator/Rectifier (R&R). After the fuse it splits two ways. One goes to the battery on a large RED wire.

So, without having a service manual in my hands I must shoot from memory. I think that the R&R may have shorted out inside. It has some diodes inside that let voltage flow one way from the stator. If those diodes short out the voltage can back flow.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you are talking about the box on top of the battery cover it is the starter relay.

As for your main fuse blowing issue, it sounds like you have a short in the wiring harness somewhere between the main fuse and the key switch. Only thing I can recommend is removing all the front body work and follow the harness looking for a worn spot.
Thanks about the starter relay..Thought so but wasn't sure..From main fuse does it go back to rectifier first????If so i have to take off back panel also...Got a jump from a car awhile back do u think that might have caused a problem...

·
Super Moderator
2017 Suzuki Burgman 650
10,023 Posts
You are in a bad spot but if we can work this through I think we can help. We may ask some stupid questions or suggest you do something stupid but try to humor us. As a group I say we know more about these bikes than Suzuki does.
Truer words haven't been written here. From our very own sage @Dave_J

@william321
Keep us posted on what you find out with your bike. Seeing an answer to a problem may help another rider down the road somewhere in the same situation.

·
Administrator
20,107 Posts
Thanks about the starter relay..Thought so but wasn't sure..From main fuse does it go back to rectifier first????If so i have to take off back panel also...Got a jump from a car awhile back do u think that might have caused a problem...
Yes, could have. Was the car's engine running for this jump start? Cars when running have 90+ amps at 14.5 volts DC. Bikes have 1.5 Amps at 13.5-14.5 volts DC so it could have been a big amp spike.

Reactions: DarisPakar

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
First check nothing is under your trunk contacting the two terminals in the black box/starter relay and touching any part of the frame/negative terminal. Next port of call is the harness round the head stock may have worn through causing a short . Then onto more murky waters. If you put a volt meter on the fuse holder on the live side with the fuse pulled and put the black lead on the negative or frame and the meter on 12vDC it should not read anything if it does clearly a live wire is shorting to ground between battery and frame. Then put it on Ohms and put the red on the dead side with the fuse pulled and negative to battery negative or frame it should stay at 1. Any reading is a short somewhere
On ohm meter put red on neg side of fuse and black on frame..Reads 87.2....Put red on hot side of fuse from batt reads ol..??????

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes, could have. Was the car's engine running for this jump start? Cars when running have 90+ amps at 14.5 volts DC. Bikes have 1.5 Amps at 13.5-14.5 volts DC so it could have been a big amp spike.
Yes it was running..

·
Administrator
20,107 Posts
Not good! :(

R&R is on the left side under the rear plastic by the gas filler. To get to the plug you must do some work. It looks like this picture below with a long wire to the connector. That connector is up near the engine cover.

20190407_140246.jpg 20190407_140308.jpg

1 - 20 of 72 Posts