Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At age 84 and with increasing arthritis I have decided that my 650 is becoming a bit too heavy for me to handle. I'd like to keep riding and it looks like the Burgman 400 is the way to go. Our local Suzuki dealer has a 2011 400 that I know has been sitting on the floor for over a year and a half. The MSRP is $7499. I have to wonder why that scooter has been sitting so long. Is the MRSP too high and how detrimental is it for the bike to be idle that long. Don't know if the bike is ever run. What should be the going price for this 2011 model? BTW this dealer is only 20 miles from Austin--lots of competition.

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
Check the Kelley Blue Book value on a 2011 400. That should give you some kind of indication, and perhaps some bargaining power. After all, when you sign the papers, you have a two year old bike.

I bought my 2008 400 in April of 2011. It was a leftover that had been sitting in the crate till just a few weeks before I bought it. I have almost 26,000 miles on it now and it runs fine. I wouldn't let the time it sat bother you.

Burgman scooters don't always sell well. If you know the advantages of a scooter, you'll look for one. Otherwise, you'll go for one of the other "real" motorcycles. Many of the salesmen won't push them either, because they don't think they are "real" motorcycles either. So they sit.

And a lot of people are brain washed into thinking you need 1000ccs or more to go down the freeway. So to think that a 400cc bike could do that, is out of the question for them.

Chris

·
Registered
748 Posts
^^^ Totally agree. I have little doubt that 95% of motorcyclist have no idea just how capable the Burgmans are. I let my Harley riding buddy ride mine and he was flat out impressed!

·
Registered
84 Posts
I think I replied to a similar post already (maybe it was on the other Burgman site - can you mention that here) that before I bought my 2013 400 I was looking at two 2011 leftover 400's at two different dealers. Out the door - meaning the total that the dealer would get, not the goverment with tax, title, tags, etc. - was $6,700 and $6,669 with the latter also including a $100 gift certificate at their store. This in in MA and I've noticed on-line that other parts of the country offer better deals.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
lloyd123 said:
I think I replied to a similar post already (maybe it was on the other Burgman site - can you mention that here) that before I bought my 2013 400 I was looking at two 2011 leftover 400's at two different dealers. Out the door - meaning the total that the dealer would get, not the goverment with tax, title, tags, etc. - was $6,700 and $6,669 with the latter also including a $100 gift certificate at their store. This in in MA and I've noticed on-line that other parts of the country offer better deals.

Lloyd - Did you know that your blinker is on in you avatar.......????? Hahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahaha..........!!!! :lol:

·
Registered
84 Posts
v8eyedoc said:
Lloyd - Did you know that your blinker is on in you avatar.......????? Hahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahaha..........!!!! :lol:

How else would people know that I'm a retired senior citizen? Well - almost - is 64 considered a senior now-a-days? Probably not as the original poster of this thread - born1928 - is 84 and thinking of downsizing to a 400. If I make it to 84 I'll probably be deciding between a wheel chair and a walker.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
When I was looking for 650's I found a left over 2011 Exc for $7499 + tax & license fee. So if dealers can sell 650's for that price they should be able to come down quite a bit on a 400. :wink:

·
Registered
59 Posts
I just picked up a 2012 400 with the out the door price of 6500. I think the 7500 # is a little high. This thing is great. very quiet and smooth. It does every thing I need it to.

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
leb123 said:
I just picked up a 2012 400 with the out the door price of 6500. I think the 7500 # is a little high. This thing is great. very quiet and smooth. It does every thing I need it to.
Desert rat got a 650.
Check the "official" retail prices. There is a considerable difference in 400 & 650 pricing.

2011 650 Exec lists at $9899
2012 400ABS lists at $7599

$7500(+ tag and title, so call it $8000 for arguments sake) for a $9899 list is a much better deal than $6500 OTD for $7599 list ($1899 saving as opposed to $1099) ............ in my book, anyway.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm interested in a similar leftover 2011 B400. Kelley Blue Book shows a value of $4720 for my region.
It's hard for me to offer much more than $1000 over that, plus tax license.
Think I stand a chance?

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I would take a chance. It seems scooters don't hold their value in kbb's eyes. But, a brand new scoot is a brand new scoot. I'd show them the facts, and see where that goes. Try talking to the head guy, and see if you can just get him out of it.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I've bought several motorcycles far from home, so I had to travel to pick them up and then ride them home. I've had the following work well for me: I speak with the guy over the phone and we work out the best deal I can. Then I go there with CASH. If the deal is for $4,000 then that's the amount I have in a little bank envelope.

I walk in and smile. He smiles back and tries to upsell me. I ask if this is included in the price upon which we had agreed and he says no. I pull out my little envelope and tell him that we can either do this or not, but here's what we agreed upon and here's what I brought. Anything more is going to have to come out of his commission.

That's pretty much all there is to it. I've never had it cause even a ripple; they take the money and I get to run. The trick is you have to
a) have the full agreed amount in cash, and
b) be ready to walk away if need be.

Trust me, you won't need to walk away. And don't forget the following aphorism: the best deals are where both parties walk away smiling. Don't try to gouge these folks too badly; they need to earn a living too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts