Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the past 6 months, I have been shopping for a 2016 or newer BMW 600 GT. As I couldn't locate a BMW 650 locally, I looked out of state, where there were several 650s for sale nationwide. Not wanting to risk buying without a test ride and not wanting to pay hundreds for shipping, I held off my purchase.
Yesterday, October 7th, 2021, I just happened to visit a local dealer who just happened to have a 2016 BMW 650 GT that just arrived.
Today, I test rode it, anticipating trading my old friend owned for well over a year and ridden nearly every day. I always enjoyed the burgman, but thought more powerful would allow for freeway riding, not done with my burgman 400 much.
Here is my evaluation of today's 20 minute test ride of the 2016 BMW 650 GT:
1. Seat height is higher; manageable for my 5'9" frame, but my legs were extended past my comfort zone. The burgman is perfect.
2. Step through is higher than the burgman. Again, manageable but not as easy. My right foot hit the top of the hump.
3. Maneuvering with foot power at idle was easy and lighter than expected for a scooter weighing about 150 pounds more. I was pleasantly surprised.
4. Power for the 60 hp twin cylinder fuel Injection engine was a mild disappointment. I expected much more power in the 20 to 50 mph range, my main reason for testing the 650 in the first place. My burgman 400 seems almost as brisk and just as smooth.
5. Handling seemed pretty close, but not as light and nimble.
6. The BMW 650 has an electric windscreen, but when it was raised to maximum height, the top edge came right at my eyeballs. I like my aftermarket Givi tall windshield installed on my burgman, higher than my helmet. Also, the BMW windscreen had two lift struts that obstructed view.
7. My burgman 400 has an FM stereo radio, a Shad SH 37 top case, and backrest. The BMW just had the backrest.

And finally, there was 15,000 miles on the BMW, while the burgman, as of this writing, has about 8,700 miles.

And the dealer was listing the BMW at $9,700 out the door, and wanted me to add between $6,000 to $6,500 and the trade in.

The bottom line, my fellow burgman riders: At the end of the day, I am very happy to keep my comfortable, practical, and fun to ride Suzuki Burgman 400. I would have missed it for sure.

·
Registered
2014 Burgman 400
172 Posts
I also looked at the C650GT for a while, but after doing my research on the DIY maintenance difficulty/parts cost and dealer service cost o_O:censored:, choosing the Silverwing 600 was a no brainer !!. BTW I also prefer my Burgman 400 over the new C400GT, IAC too much high tech on the BMW's not DIYer friendly.(n)

·
Registered
748 Posts
too much high tech on the BMW's not DIYer friendly.
But most EVERY manufacturer going the same way. I wish Royal Enfield would do scooters!
I also looked at the C650GT for a while, but after doing my research on the DIY maintenance difficulty/parts cost and dealer service cost o_O:censored:,
Friend with Burgman 650 (Now), had a C650 until the first service was done and invoiced.:censored: ......Parted company PDQ (pretty darned quick..;)).
Should have done his homework before buying. Burger now has 43000 on and he calls it a KEEPER.

·
Registered
2014 Burgman 400
172 Posts
But most EVERY manufacturer going the same way. I wish Royal Enfield would do scooters!

Yes, is a big part of people(like me) where looking at more traditiona/older scooters, BMW has the ability:unsure::rolleyes: to over engineer their vehicles.

Friend with Burgman 650 (Now), had a C650 until the first service was done and invoiced.:censored: ......Parted company PDQ (pretty darned quick..;)).
Should have done his homework before buying. Burger now has 43000 on and he calls it a KEEPER.
Yes, a 24k service on a C650 is around $2k USD a friend paid $2,300 and they replaced a lot of good parts IMO, I looked at them, they claimed half the cost was labor/parts and it basically calls to replace, not inspect :mad::censored:

·
Registered
2022 Matte Deep Blue Kymco AK 550
4,285 Posts
Did you know the BMW 650 engine is made by Kymco? Why not consider a 2021 Kymco AK 550. Same price as that BMW, better acceleration (based on my own test ride and many reviews), lighter than the 650. The dealer in Phoenix should have some in stock. Plus you can sell your 400 yourself and keep more $$$, unless you really want to trade it for much less $$ in pocket. But that's just the way I look at it. I did trade once and took a beating on the deal.

OR... 😃
You're just in time! Consider a Burgman 650. I'm selling mine for just under the KBB and well under the NADA suggested price for a stock unit. Mine has the 46 L top case. Sounds like you actually LIKE looking through the shield (did that on my Gold Wing and promised myself never again... but that's my preference) and there are taller shields from Givi and I think others which retain the electrical adjusting feature. 😁 😁 😁

I ride long-ish trips several times a year. My last trip was 1179 miles and a lot of that was Interstate riding. No problem keeping up and passing others out there. Although, it would be a long trip to fly and ride to/from Central Iowa.

Sorry, shameless promotion for my sale. I promise to attempt to keep that to a minimum... in the future. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great quick responses from my post. Thanks, all, for your feedback. I did try the burgman 650, twice, but at the time, it was too heavy. But that was after a 23 year hiatus of non motorcycle riding, and 2 years ago I was wiped out from heavy chemotherapy for stage 4 lymphoma. I sold 650s privately, quickly, and didn't lose any money.
Good idea to check out kympko 550. I haven't seen any around here in Phoenix, but I haven't looked, either.
Thanks for reminding me that BMW service is expensive.
I also rode goldwings for many years, and wish I could swing my right leg over and then muscle 850 pounds of wing off the stand, but like alot of things we once enjoyed, those days are sadly over.
Just returned from riding the burgman 400 and had a blast. It's kinda sad to return home. Now that it is beautiful riding weather after over 5 months of beastly hot temperatures, it is a dream to ride in absolute comfort here.
Great threads, gang! Happy to be alive and able to ride again. Wish I could still fly, but the bergman is close to the cessna 150s I flew in my early years.
July 4th boomer, aka Don C.

·
Administrator
22,241 Posts
You can research some of the Mod's done to the 400 to see if they would make it more enjoyable. Like Dr Pulley sliders and Hit clutch, the Contra spring can be changed too.

I too have hundreds of hours flying Cessna 150's, 172's and 210's. Otters and Beavers too. Mostly sport flying but a little commercial '2nd Seat' from Seattle to Alaska and back. I too relate tossing a motorcycle into a corner to a 2 minute banked turn of a Cessna 150

Reactions: Captain Steve

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My first solo, August 5, 1973, age 18. N23001 was $9 per hour, without my CFI. Plus, 20% Off as because I was a line boy at the FBO. These were mid 60s 150s, VFR only, no wheelpants.
Yes, the burgman feels like a 2 minute turn, 30 degree bank. I dared look briefly, to the right to see the right seat was empty. Are you current?
I guess I should keep the thread to scooters.

·
Administrator
22,241 Posts
Not current since 1985. My last flight was a French made 1959 Cessna 150 in Germany back in 1984. Owner was struck by Parkinsons so I'd fly him all around Germany, Austria and Switzerland. I returned to USA and he died a year later.
All my twin prop Otter experience was due to my dads friend not wanting to fly alone up from Seattle to Alaska. He was an instructor and signed off on all my cirts. His plane and fuel. He was doing 5 trips a week up to the hunting/fishing camps near Ketchikan and Juneau and I could do weekend trips with him.

My start of flight, I was student endorsed for solo flight gliders at 16 and first 150 flight at 18. Was a 1/4th owner of a 172 for 5 years.
I have always been too broke to continue flying. Insurance and cost of Av Gas shot me down.

Reactions: DarisPakar

·
Administrator
22,241 Posts
It was a manual lever, like an E-Brake between the seats, operated flaps, range of 0-40 degrees but we never used more that 20-25 degrees. Not enough engine to over come the drag of +30 degrees anyway unless you pulled flaps late in roll out and rotation. Really, no need for more than 30 degrees even landing on some of the short grass fields we flew to.
It was built in Reims France as a F150 in 1958 for the 1959 model year and it had an auxiliary 15 gallon fuel tank with BMW stamped on it bolted in behind the seats, no fuel gauge, just a site glass. He never used it, purged of fumes.

With a wopping 100 Horse you had to plan out trips due to headwind. Could see zero or even a negative Ground speed in high head winds.

But YES we are tramping on your 400 thread. Sorry.

·
Registered
335 Posts
"after doing my research on the DIY maintenance difficulty/parts cost and dealer service cost, choosing the Silverwing 600 was a no brainer!"

There is a definite charm about the simple, reliable Silver Wing. I owned four, plus three Burgman 650's and now my third BMW C650 GT. Some hopefully helpful thoughts ....

1. Yes, BMW dealerships will kill you dead with maintenance and service costs. Before I bought my first one, I read repeated horror stories about dealer costs, especially for the big 24,000 mile service. It ranged from $1,500 to $2,500 and higher.

2. On top of that, unless you do the work, it's now harder to avoid BMW dealer costs because BMW Motorrad recently announced they will no longer publish service and repair manuals. Arrogant? Selfish? Foolish? Yup. Welcome to BMW.

3. I did the work myself for the dreaded 24,000 mile service (at 20,000 miles). It cost me $480. That included a drive belt from the OEM manufacturer for BMW that cost me $97 vs. BMW's $354 for the same belt with their stamp on it. Add $500 for dealer installation. Brake pads and fluid for me: $68. BMW dealer: $250. You get the picture.

4. If you do the work yourself, I think the BMW service manual (only on DVD, and only for Windows ... PITA!) is simpler and more detailed than Silver Wing's or the Burgman 650. The work seemed more logical and straightforward. I think the BMW is easier to work on than the Silver Wing.

5. Of course, we don't buy these machines to service them. We buy them to ride, and that is purely subjective. I may own a 4th Burgman 650 someday because I am so enthralled with the amazing, jet-smooth transmission (it even SOUNDS like a commercial jet winding up and down). That said, I'm not thrilled with its relatively harsh suspension and dead weight in a parking lot. For me, the BMW's ride and growl and technology win the day, especially with TPMS readings on the dash (although I had FOBO valve stem caps on my Burgmans and they worked great).

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I really appreciate the excellent technical feedback that all of you great fellow riders have provided. I have learned alot thanks to all of you, and the sharing of your observations has really helped in my understanding and genuine love for my 2011 burgman 400, which I ride about every day. It is fully dressed so I can tour like I did on my two former goldwings.

And, yes, the cessna 150 took forever to reach 55mph for rotation. Burgman 400 could beat it probably.
--don c.

·
Registered
95 Posts
My wife and I rode the seven western states in June she was on her 400 75-90 mph freeway riding loaded with luggage no problem with the 400 maybe just another reason to keep what you have and enjoy

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My wife and I rode the seven western states in June she was on her 400 75-90 mph freeway riding loaded with luggage no problem with the 400 maybe just another reason to keep what you have and enjoy
That is amazing, 7 western states on a 400! Happy to hear a burgman 400 can do that. How is it on hills and steep grades? I would like to be comfortable at 65 to 70 mph. Did it all the time on my Goldwings.

What about the lightweight and passing truck wake turbulence factors? Was that a problem?
Look forward to 400 rider response commentary.
Thanks, don. July4thboomer

·
Registered
748 Posts
That is amazing, 7 western states on a 400! Happy to hear a burgman 400 can do that. How is it on hills and steep grades? I would like to be comfortable at 65 to 70 mph.
Plenty of praise for B400 performance elsewhere on various threads, but here's a precis.
My 2016 bike will cruise all day long at 70 mph (Garmin true)
Romps up 15% inclines X 1.75 Miles with a B650 for company
Stays with same (on twisties). Loses out obviously at 60+
What about the lightweight and passing truck wake turbulence factors? Was that a problem?
Lightweight? 220 kgs is 5 more than my V-Strom was!
Passes our 40 Tonne Articulated Lorries without complaint, tho' they ARE governed to 60 mph.
Never found their wake a problem.
It's probably one of the best bikes I've owned, regardless of size.
Done 250 miles on UK mixed roads in the day, WITH EASE. (70+ "geriatric")

·
Super Moderator
5,456 Posts
+1
Not sure what the longest day in the saddle was but 350+ through welsh mountains and coast with 2 650’s and an Aprilia 850 SRV not a problem.

Under seat storage slightly bigger. For single rider touring, great.
2 up touring I might want some more oomph. There might be an overtake opportunity once in a blue moon that I think better of.

Doesn’t eat tyres as fast, not light, but lighter (if a 650 is the gauge)
I don’t carry much spare fat but I do carry a lot of gear.

Edit: Obviously the 850 could leave us for dead any time he wanted, very fast scoot - but at a brisk pace, not racing I wasn’t holding anybody up :)

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
I can't remember a ride on my 2008 AN400 that didn't make me grin :cool: owned for 13 years now and 44,000 miles!
I looked at a BMW R1200RT (?) about 16 years ago, then fortunately remembered that BMWs are made of unobtanium...
Bought Kawa concours instead...

Reactions: Bluestrom13
1 - 20 of 20 Posts