Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks. Thought I would share my story in hopes it may help somone down the road. After letting my scooter sit for around a month I fired it up. After it idled for about 4 minutes it died and would not restart. The next day it fired up and a few minutes later died. When it was completely cold it would run fine but as I would rev it up as it warmed it would start to cut out then die. Found a thread on here that sounded identical to my problem but it was never resolved or the fix was never posted. I took the plug out and cranked it over. Had good spark and was squirting fuel out. Well now I was confused. Swapped the plug with another scooter that has the same plug. Noticed some moisture on the plug so I blasted air in the boot. Wouldn't start. Ugh. Old plug back in, ran for a few then died. Time for the dealership.
I was expecting the worst. Got the call it was ready to pick up for $118. They tell me they put a new spark plug in it and found moisture in the plug boot. I assumed they fired it up, it ran so they parked it and called it good. I picked it up let it run for about 15 minutes before I left. Nervously left for a road test. I road it for 151 miles yesterday and it ran great. My guess is my little air compressor didn't have enough psi to blast the water completely out. I don't know where the water came from. Since I have owned it I have not ridden in the rain or washed it with a hose. I will update if have any other issues but for now I'm going to call this solved.
So have any of you had a problem with water? Should I be concerned about riding it the rain? Thank you all for the info found on this great forum.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Weird, I've never had any issues with riding in water, and here in Seattle it rains a LOT.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Hi and welcome to the group. :) Here in the UK its always wet !! But thankfully I cannot say I have had the problem with our Y or L2 model 400's and find the spark plug and its cap well protected from road spray, garden hose when washing etc.

As well as blowing out with your compressor air line, a spray with a water dispersant such as WD40 may have helped your situation although I have to say I have never encountered a plug /cap that was wet enough on the Burgman to warrant that............two and three cylinder two strokes in the '70's were different beasts and often shorted with the lightest of rain. :-(

Hope you enjoy the bike now its going and don't have a repeat occurrence ? Take care and look forward to the fine weather.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
I've crossed rivers with my 400 in San Antonio! No issues still running after 40000 miles.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts