Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Tuesday I was riding my bike and headed for a gas station. Just before I got there I thought I was running out of gas as while I was on the highway (70+ mph) the bike felt like it was going to shut off (the feeling was like the throttle slipped out of my hand - instant hard engine braking) but just for half a second, then was riding normal. I got gas, only put 3.3 gallons in to fill it up, then kept on going. The same engine hesitation kept periodically popping up over the next 12 miles until I got to my house and got in my car and took that to work.

Now I have some time to look at the bike, anybody else have this issue before? Ideas on what could cause it?

Thank you for your input. ~Matt

·
Registered
346 Posts
I had a similar problem a few years back with my VStrom 1000. Turned out to be a loose ignition coil connection. Track the wire from the plugs back as far into the circuit as you can.

I'm not a pro mechanic, but I've heard the vast majority of electrical problems are simply bad connections - corroded or simply worked loose.

Cheap and (relatively) easy to check.

Good luck.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Check what everybody else said and if you don't find something definite, consider that you may have water or other contamination in your fuel.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the suggestions I will look those things over this week and let you know if I find anything.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Speaking from experience your ignition (keyed) switch could be going out. The first symptoms I always have (I've had three go bad now) is the bike not powering up when the key is first turned (cycling the switch a few times usually gets it going at first, and then the bike starts cutting out momentarily (like you described), and then fires back up, next time it happens see if you can catch the panel cycling thru the start up sequence (assuming that the 2011 still does that).If it does then it's your ignition switch. If it is the ignition switch find out if the ignition switch module is the same as the 2003-2008 type (probably is), if so you can buy just the module (2003 switch module Suzuki part # 99103-11199) for around $30-50 and save yourself $200 over replacing the entire switch assembly.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Amazing that you would have 3 of anything go out. How many miles?
A little over 32000 miles. But then again it is my daily driver and it gets started and stopped an minimum of 5-6 times a day, seven days a week. I have to admit that the first switch failure was my fault as I ran running lights off the accessory socket and directly thru the switch, I also run my high beams all the time. After the first failure I directly wired the running lights from the battery thru a switch and relay, the air horn was always on it's own circuit. After the second failure I routed the headlights thru a relay driven off the ignition switch and the main switch current was also thru a relay so I believe very little current is actually going thru the switch, so I was surprised that it failed yet again. But then again if you disassemble the switch you'll realize that it is a poorly built piece of cr*p and was never designed for heavy duty use. (In reality all of the switches are poorly built and not very robust at all.)Which is why it is really disappointing that Suzuki tries to sell the entire switch assembly rather than just the switch module for the the majority of the Burgmans. The existence and compatibility of the switch module is a closely guarded secret apparently.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Same issue happened to my 650 Burgman and it was a Plug Cap/Coil. They do fail and give symptoms like this. One of mine had become defective and was causing the engine power loss. They cost upwards of £80 new here, source a secondhand set as this component is on many Suzuki's not just the Burgman. I paid £15.00 for my pair and kept a good quality spare.

WM

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Couldn't get the bike to replicate the problem when I took it out this weekend. I guess it will get commute duty starting tomorrow again until it starts acting up again

·
Registered
346 Posts
Couldn't get the bike to replicate the problem when I took it out this weekend. I guess it will get commute duty starting tomorrow again until it starts acting up again
My VStrom did the same thing when the coil wire came loose (see earlier post). It stumbled a few times on a trip, cleared itself up within 10 minutes, and then resurfaced about 2 weeks later for the final hissy-fit that left me stranded (only 2 miles from the dealer, luckily).

·
Registered
207 Posts
Could also be intermittent activation of a shut-off switch (handlebar or side stand). I've rocked the handlebar one by accident a couple of times on the highway, with pretty much that result.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I recently bought a new (to me) car that I really like, so I have not been really quick to fix this problem. Especially since it has been raining lately. But soon, probably after the holiday I will tear it apart as my last ride it continuesly cut out.

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
Still wouldn't hurt to tighten all the electrical connections. A little dielectric grease wouldn't hurt either. JMO

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Turns out this was a fuel pump going out. Should be picking it up today from dealer. Covered under my extended warranty.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts